View Full Version : Interesting Joint, Simple to Cut

Jim Koepke
05-08-2020, 3:19 PM
My grandson Mike sent this to me > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKJI_f44v0E

It is a combination of bridle, lap and mortise & tenon joints all in one:

jtk

Paul F Franklin
05-08-2020, 6:06 PM
Looks like something out an Escher print!

Jim Koepke
05-08-2020, 7:07 PM
Looks like something out an Escher print!

It is a bit strange to put together. A little of my time was spent cutting one of these earlier today.

All three pieces are cut the same. That was pretty simple, half laps and a slot. It was getting them all oriented the proper way that is confusing.

jtk

Jerry Olexa
05-08-2020, 10:56 PM
Beyond my pay level..... Good Luck, Jim..You'll figure it out..

Bob Jones 5443
05-09-2020, 2:07 AM
Tamar is a bright spot on YouTube.

Rob Luter
05-09-2020, 6:33 AM
She's bundled up like she's going ice fishing. Must be cold in that shop.

Prashun Patel
05-09-2020, 8:21 AM
I loved that video. Thanks. What's cool is the 'basic' table saw she's using to do some pretty precise work... She also rocks the Harbor freight clamps and a diy tenon jig. Expensive equipment does not a good woodworker make.

I'm impressed at how she figured it out.

Jim Koepke
05-09-2020, 10:20 AM
She's bundled up like she's going ice fishing. Must be cold in that shop.

During the colder days my apparel is quite the same in an unheated shop. During warmer times so much of my time is spent tending to the greenhouse and yard work my shop time is limited.

The view out the window in the video looks like things might be covered in snow.

jtk

Rob Luter
05-09-2020, 3:57 PM
Lack of heat is a deal breaker for me, unless I’m ice fishing. I don’t mind a cool shop. In fact my basement shop is a great place to escape the summer heat. If it’s not at least 60* in the shop in the winter I’m not much interested in making sawdust.

Jim Koepke
05-09-2020, 7:21 PM
Lack of heat is a deal breaker for me, unless I’m ice fishing. I don’t mind a cool shop. In fact my basement shop is a great place to escape the summer heat. If it’s not at least 60* in the shop in the winter I’m not much interested in making sawdust.

Many of my projects are done when the water in my bottle and tray for water stones is frozen solid. If it gets down in the mid twenties, it is time to go in the housle and sit by the fire.

Some of may best dovetails ever were cut in a cold shop > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?211707 < It has been over six years and the drawer still hasn't been glued.

jtk