PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" Birch @ the Borg??

Jim Kountz
12-27-2005, 7:12 AM
Hey group, I was wandering about in the Home Depot last night and learned they no longer carry 1/2" birch in 4x8 sizes. Now Im wondering if its just at my local borg (Winchester, VA) or everywhere. Does your local HD still have it?

Bob Johnson2
12-27-2005, 7:55 AM
I've noticed at the couple stores I hit that the availablility and quality of the BB changes. Usually it's just 3/4 and 1/4, and very rarely it's decent quality. The ply count is usually very low. I do always look though.

Richard Wolf
12-27-2005, 8:01 AM
Mine never carried it.

Richard

Scott Berg
12-27-2005, 5:27 PM
Jim,
I was just at one of our local HD's at lunch looking for 1/2 inch ply and yes, we have the birch 1/2 inch here in Denver. $33 a sheet.

Jim Kountz
12-27-2005, 8:31 PM
Well now Im wondering if the helpful (*choke* *cough*) associate I asked knew what he was talking about when I asked him if they were going to carry it anymore. Im thinking its possible he didnt even know what I meant (surprise surprise) by birch plywood. Kinda had that confused look on his face we've all come to know and love from the highly skilled individuals who can be found working there! Possible they were simply.......out.

Tom Sontag
12-28-2005, 12:19 PM
I did not see any decent 1/2" at mine last week but I did grab a 3/4" sheet of maple veneer 13 ply for $30. Made in China but perfect for my shop cabinet. 13 layers! Virtually no voids!

Mark Rios
12-28-2005, 1:47 PM
My local BORG had a slot for "Cabinet Grade" 3/4" plywood for $24. I got the last sheet in the slot and asked the lumber "associate" if there was anymore. Long story short, just like Jim found, everything he told me was wrong. Anyway, I went to the contractors desk and asked them to look it up in the computer. WE found out that I had actually got the last piece they were going to have. Seems that BORG bought a cargo ship load and divvied it up between stores. They directed me to a store about 20 miles away that was supposed to have 225 sheets. I went there and went to the plywood aisle and didn't even see a slot for it. I went to their contractor desk and asked and, again, WE found that all of this plywood was hidden behind some other sheet goods. Seems that the main lumber "associate" didn't know what it was and didn't have a slot for it so he just buried it. It had been there 3 months and never put out to merchandise.

I had to wait about 30 minutes but they gladly brought it out and I got 10 sheets. Moral of the story: The people at the contractor desk seem to be able to find out info on their products better than their floor "associates".

Jim Kountz
12-28-2005, 9:34 PM
Mark, what you said is sad but oh so true. I realize that most of these people who work in such places may or may not have ever been in the building industry but thats no excuse not to know whats in your department. Unless maybe you're a new hire, but the guy I talked to is always there and still doesnt know the difference between a 2x4 and a tomato stake!!

Richard Blaine
12-30-2005, 1:04 PM
My local BORG had a slot for "Cabinet Grade" 3/4" plywood for $24.

How did that Plywood turn out? I took a look at it a while back, but I passed on it.

If it's the same stuff I looked at, it has no markings on the ply, but the stack covers read "Patriot Timber Products." (A funny name for a company that sells only Chinese plywood -- never trust a name to be a truthful description.)

Did you have any delaminations, warpage, or other problems? It was a good price as long as it is not like the chinese maple/birch that's been discussed here recently.

Mark Rios
12-31-2005, 2:49 AM
I have used it before starting about 6 years ago When I made two roll around shop tables and I have made various stuff with it since. This newest batch that I got is 13 ply with very, very, very thin outer veneers. On my shop stuff there has been no delaminations. This newest stuff hasn't been with me long enough to know what it will do but it seems like all the rest and I don't expect any problems.

However, this, IMAO, is NOT true cabinet worthy. To me, it's VREY, VERY nice shop cabinet material. Don't sand to much....you'll get a suprise. :) No, it's probably not that bad. I'm rehabing my latest project house now and I'm doing the kitchen. So I made two pantry cabs and two 12" deep by 36" wide shelf units for temporay storage and use of kitchen stuff. The veneers look great but there are small voids throughout the sheet. The sheets are not totally perfectly square; they give you a little extra on some corners making the sheets a little parallelogramish.:D lol

I really like this stuff for what I do with it. For you real wwer's, I wouldn't say it would be used for cabinet commissions.

How about this:....................It would make good cabinets for yourself but not great cabinets for a customer. Hope that helps.

Mark Rios
12-31-2005, 2:52 AM
[QUOTE=Richard Blaine]If it's the same stuff I looked at, it has no markings on the ply, but the stack covers read "Patriot Timber Products." (A funny name for a company that sells only Chinese plywood -- never trust a name to be a truthful description.)

Maybe Chinese Patriots make it.:D :D :D :D :D :D

Barry O'Mahony
12-31-2005, 2:59 AM
Now Im wondering if its just at my local borg (Winchester, VA) Hey! I had a friend in college that grew up in Berryville. 'sure is a pretty part of the country you have there.

Tom Peterson
12-31-2005, 9:05 AM
Our HD here has been lately stocking 12 mm and 18 mm made in China plywood. I have not seen true 1/2" or 3/4" in a while. Adequate for most projects, but for my cabinets I went to a distributor.

Bill Wiggins
12-31-2005, 4:15 PM
Just came from the local HD. They had 1/2 in. birch plywood. No 1/2 in oak, though.