PDA

View Full Version : Planer chatter..fix?

Jared Sankovich
05-06-2020, 10:47 AM
If not for the byrd head I'd have chucked this thing a while ago.

It's a 1984 grizzly 1021

I recently started getting more chatter marks than normal, I had a glue up last week that had about .025" hollow on the left side of the boards (mid board) that was about 8 to 10" in length. I pulled the planer down yesterday and found the chip braker bushing had migrated out and was allowing it to ride up and forward about. .125" making it ineffective

Bushing back in place

While I was in there fixed a slight blow in the chip breaker face (had a high spot middle left)

Once back together the first board through I ended up again with chatter Mark's (only the left half of the board and only in sections not the full length)
Increasing the feed roller pressure seems to help, but that isn't a real solution. Even with them cranked down I still get some chatter marks (just not as deep)

It still seems to be related to the chip breaker and I think I need more downward pressure to stop the board from fluttering, the spring in rather anemic at best, thoughts?

Looking at similar planer I see three springs, vs thr single center spring in the unit I have.

Alternatively I have my eye on a Newman 600, scmi s63 and a unitronix/gomad dsmc that are local.

Richard Coers
05-06-2020, 12:07 PM
You haven't done something to get the blades too far out of the head have you?

Jared Sankovich
05-06-2020, 12:20 PM
You haven't done something to get the blades too far out of the head have you?

It's a byrd insert head.

Andrew Hughes
05-06-2020, 12:32 PM
I also get chatter marks on one side of my pm 15 hh. It’s very bad if I don’t have the down side flat off my jointer.
Our machines are lightly built and I found a lot of my unsatisfied results are from the flexing from around the posts that happens during the cutting. Or scraping cut the bryd head is too famous for.
One last check is the out roller has a block on each side with a spring. Make sure it’s moving freely and not crooked.
Good Luck

Jared Sankovich
05-06-2020, 12:52 PM
I pulled cleaned and oiled the infeed and outfeed rollers while it was apart. The outfeed has no discernible play in the bushings, the infeed has about .002" on the right side only. All four bushing blocks are free to move

Ultimately I think the lack of a pressure bar with this design is a huge design flaw.

Lee Schierer
05-06-2020, 1:11 PM
I pulled the planer down yesterday and found the chip braker bushing had migrated out and was allowing it to ride up and forward about. .125" making it ineffective

Bushing back in place

Loctite makes some really good bushing retaining adhesives. Some even work with oilite bushings.

Erik Loza
05-06-2020, 1:37 PM
Obvious question, but have you waxed the planer bed lately? I'm always amazed out how big a of a difference this can make. Like, "night & day" in some cases.

Erik

Jared Sankovich
05-06-2020, 8:22 PM
Obvious question, but have you waxed the planer bed lately? I'm always amazed out how big a of a difference this can make. Like, "night & day" in some cases.

Erik

It was waxed.

Jared Sankovich
05-06-2020, 8:23 PM
My solution: way more pressure on the chip breaker.

And the result

Andrew Hughes
05-06-2020, 8:29 PM
That looks great. Looks like maple if so bravo!

Darcy Warner
05-06-2020, 8:57 PM
No pressure bar? What is this 1865?

Jared Sankovich
05-06-2020, 9:27 PM
No pressure bar? What is this 1865?

Seems like it.

None of the 15" 4 post delta clones have pressure bars and apparently only some of the 20" do.. let that insanity sink in for a minute.

Bill Dufour
05-07-2020, 12:13 AM
Old growth knot free wood really doesn't need a pressure bar. If there are chatter marks just toss that wood into the fire for the boiler and reduce then steam pressure a little to the line shaft engine to reduce rpm on the planer.
Bill D:rolleyes:

Jared Sankovich
05-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Old growth knot free wood really doesn't need a pressure bar. If there are chatter marks just toss that wood into the fire for the boiler and reduce then steam pressure a little to the line shaft engine to reduce rpm on the planer.
Bill D:rolleyes:

To be able to just burn all the logs and boards with a single knot...

I've never been inside a delta these were all based off of, I assume they are lacking a pressure bar as well.

Mike Kees
05-07-2020, 9:46 PM
That is the exact same design as the delta Dc 380 I sold about six months ago. No pressure bar,stamped steel chip breaker. I contemplated a byrd head and decided to just move up to a more substantial machine instead. My Delta actually performed well with quality knives in it. Looks like you figured out a good "fix" Jared,hope it works well for a long time.

Bill Dufour
05-07-2020, 10:59 PM
Story is jack London special ordered 40? foot long boards for the deck of his boat so there would be no end seams. The carpenters cut them into shorter pieces for easier handling.
Bil lD