PDA

View Full Version : Which water-borne, non-yellowing finish is the favorite these days?

Alan Lightstone
05-05-2020, 8:53 PM
Mostly I either spray Pre-Cat Lacquer or wipe on Waterlox. But there have been a number of pieces I've been working on lately with lighter woods (tigerwood, curly maple, etc...) that SWMBO has preferred a finish that doesn't yellow.

I haven't sprayed any water-borne finishes in a number of years. The last I tried was with some Target coatings, with not great success, but I'm far more accomplished with spray finishes now.

Any suggestions for non-yellowing, quick-drying water-borne finishes for spraying?

John TenEyck
05-05-2020, 9:25 PM
Best overall for me is General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly. Water clear, easy to spray, and very durable. The best bargain product for me is Lenmar Duralaq WB Acrylic, available at Benjamin Moore. Sprays great, looks great, every bit as good as the Clear Poly except for chemical durability. Both dry in 30 - 45 minutes and can be sanded and ready to spray the next coat in 90 minutes, ready to pack or put into light use in 24 hours.

John

Prashun Patel
05-06-2020, 8:42 AM
I have used the target cv8000 on my kitchen island and have been pleased with it. I also have used enduro clear poly as well as endurovar. I find them all about the same in look and ease of application. They vary in durability. Also beware that these may make darker woods appear lifeless. Endurovar is a little amber but it’s slightly different from what you have experienced with waterlox. So you may want to pair it with a seal coat of shellac.

John, have you tried the Lenmar conversion varnish? They seem to have more durable products than the lacquer. U piqued my interest with mention of them before. I have been pleased with BM’s other products.

Alan Lightstone
05-06-2020, 9:27 AM
Also beware that these may make darker woods appear lifeless.

Prashun, that's been one of my concerns. And with pre-cat lacquer, I haven't had to face it.

I've never used poly, amazingly. I have sprayed an outdoor fire table cover with General Finishes Exterior 450, and was very impressed with its longevity in the Florida sun and rain. But that's another story.

Jim Becker
05-06-2020, 12:06 PM
I've pretty much stuck with Target Coatings products...and my results improved a lot once I got a quality gun to shoot with. Prashun's comments about potential "lifeless" appearance, while very noticeable on darker woods can also be noticeable on light wood like maple with many water borne products. They don't have the "warmth" that oil and other solvent based finishes have. There are exceptions, however. Target EM2000 and to a good extene, EM8000cv have some warmth to them. You can also use an application of wax-free shellac to warm things up before top coating with your choice of waterborne finish. I'm likely going to experiment with some other finish products and I expect I'll like them, too.

John TenEyck
05-06-2020, 1:05 PM
I have used the target cv8000 on my kitchen island and have been pleased with it. I also have used enduro clear poly as well as endurovar. I find them all about the same in look and ease of application. They vary in durability. Also beware that these may make darker woods appear lifeless. Endurovar is a little amber but it’s slightly different from what you have experienced with waterlox. So you may want to pair it with a seal coat of shellac.

John, have you tried the Lenmar conversion varnish? They seem to have more durable products than the lacquer. U piqued my interest with mention of them before. I have been pleased with BM’s other products.

No, I have not yet tried Lenmar MegaVar. I haven't had a real need to yet, but MegaVar or TC's EM-8000CV would be the two I would first consider when I do. For non kitchen/vanity cabinet work, Duralaq works great. And Duralaq white is equally easy to spray.
John

Prashun Patel
05-06-2020, 1:17 PM
Alan-
One more tip Jim B gave me:

Sign up for the Target mailing list. Jeff sends out discount codes very regularly. If you decide on Target em8000CV (their conversion varnish) consider adding the crosslinker. It improves durability apparently and it does make the finish very slightly warmer - but I'd still use shellac under. In fact, on the walnut counter I just did, I used Waterlox OSF as the sealer.

Good luck getting the best out of curly maple with something besides an oil varnish or shellac.

If it doesn't need to be super durable, how about shellac then wax?

Matthew Curtis
05-06-2020, 8:48 PM
I have been using General Finishes High Performance

John TenEyck
05-07-2020, 4:05 PM
I have been using General Finishes High Performance

That's a great product because it includes a good UV package and won't yellow, but it's relatively expensive and isn't nearly as chemically durable as the Enduro Products. If you like HP you might want to try the Lenmar Duralaq. Much cheaper, sprays even easier, looks just as good.

John

Alan Lightstone
05-07-2020, 4:58 PM
Alan-
One more tip Jim B gave me:

Sign up for the Target mailing list. Jeff sends out discount codes very regularly. If you decide on Target em8000CV (their conversion varnish) consider adding the crosslinker. It improves durability apparently and it does make the finish very slightly warmer - but I'd still use shellac under. In fact, on the walnut counter I just did, I used Waterlox OSF as the sealer.

Good luck getting the best out of curly maple with something besides an oil varnish or shellac.

If it doesn't need to be super durable, how about shellac then wax?

Thanks, Prashun.

I think I'll need more protection than shellac/wax will provide. Pity, so easy to apply.

I've thought of EM8000CV +/- the crosslinker. But I think she really doesn't want it warmer at all.

One thing I've learned. Any project for SWMBO - all conversations make the project dramatically more difficult. Just sayin...

Alan Lightstone
05-07-2020, 5:08 PM
I've pretty much stuck with Target Coatings products...and my results improved a lot once I got a quality gun to shoot with. Prashun's comments about potential "lifeless" appearance, while very noticeable on darker woods can also be noticeable on light wood like maple with many water borne products. They don't have the "warmth" that oil and other solvent based finishes have. There are exceptions, however. Target EM2000 and to a good extene, EM8000cv have some warmth to them. You can also use an application of wax-free shellac to warm things up before top coating with your choice of waterborne finish. I'm likely going to experiment with some other finish products and I expect I'll like them, too.

Fuji Q4 Gold 4-stage turbine with Fuji XPC HVLP gun and 3M PPS cups. Pretty solid setup, for a few years old from what I understand. I've grown pretty fond of it, and have gotten pretty decent at spraying finishes. I think I've joined the skilled amateur ranks. So if anything my issues were with the Target product or my skills, not the spray equipment.

Ed Gibbons
05-07-2020, 6:17 PM
To the regular person, without any prior information, it does not make a difference concerning which finish that is used.

Prashun Patel
05-07-2020, 6:32 PM
You are preaching to the choir, Brother! The cross linker won’t warm it up to the point where anyone without a discerning eye would notice.

Prashun Patel
05-07-2020, 6:34 PM
Ed, Due respect, there is a huge visual difference that even the untrained eye will see and feel. This is not wonky talk but hard learned lessons ;)

Alan Lightstone
05-07-2020, 6:51 PM
SWMBO is an artist. If I had a blind test, she would guess it right 100% of the time. That's my story, I'm sticking to it.