PDA

View Full Version : Looking to add another bandsaw

Bill Dempsey
05-04-2020, 9:30 AM
I have a griz GO514 and a craftsman 10 inch table top model. I don't find the 10 inch saw capable for anything but smallest cuts, usually keep the Carter stabilizer on it. So, I'm constantly changing blades on the griz. General furniture work, some resawing, and now cutting up wet bowl blanks.
I have space and duct collection capabilities for another saw. Currently looking at Rikon 10-324TG, and Laguna 1412. I'd sure like to hear from the community on these two saws or other ideas. I have no interest in a Delta clone. Seems Woodcraft has the Rikon on sale this month.
The general budget is $1200.

tom lucas
05-04-2020, 9:50 AM
I have a griz g0513X and a cheap Buffalo 14". I use the griz for resawing and turning blanks and the Buf for curved parts and quick cuts. I have the Buf tuned up pretty good, but I find the 14" is limiting. I'd like another 17" or larger.

Jim Becker
05-04-2020, 9:57 AM
Personally, I'd look to add a "big" saw for the heavy work and keep the Delta for general cutting and scrolling. Whether you buy new or buy used, a heavy band saw will add a functional dimension to your shop that can't be attained with a 14" machine, IMHO.

Mike Kees
05-04-2020, 10:36 AM
Bill seems this got sidetracked a little. I have a Centauro CO600 24'' and a Delta with riser block. When I bought the Centauro I sold a Steel City 18'' saw. I really wish I had kept that one and sold the Delta. I have looked at the Rikon 10-326 at Lee Valley ,it could have a home in my shop. Very well thought out and built saw with a far stronger/stiffer frame as well as a real good fence. Maybe check that one out. I have no experience with the two saws you asked about.

Tom M King
05-04-2020, 12:58 PM
Get a used big one that will run a 1" Lenox Woodmaster CT on it. It's a different world for resawing.

glenn bradley
05-04-2020, 12:59 PM
I like having a 10" for the things you describe. It definitely lets me know when I try to exceed its capacity. My "big" saw is a 17". Still I am leaning toward adding another 17" versus a 14". The cost and footprint isn't much different. To me they are very different tools in use. The 14" is the crescent wrench of bandsaws. Well loved and good for many, many things. My needs have become more focused. The 17" is my resaw tool. Another 17" with a 1/4" or 3/8" on it would be head and shoulders above my 1940's Delta cast iron saw (even though it was bought new by Grandpa).

John K Jordan
05-04-2020, 2:07 PM
I'm in the get a bigger saw and never be sorry. I have a 14" Delta but use an 18" Rikon for most everything. Great to go from green log to turning blanks.

JKJ

Alan Lightstone
05-04-2020, 3:52 PM
Yup, put me in the big saw and never be sorry ranks too.

I sold my Laguna 14SUV and bought a Felder FB710. I've never looked back, as resawing is a breeze, and handling larger pieces is much easier with the larger table. Obviously, a much larger investment.

If I had the room, I would have kept the Laguna as a second bandsaw and kept a smaller blade on it. Blade changes are always a pain.

Todd Solomon
05-04-2020, 6:24 PM
I'm in a similar situation, looking for a bandsaw. I used to have an MM16, it was flawless and did everything well. I got out of woodworking, now time to get back in but the MM16 is out of my budget.

I've spent countless hours watching video reviews and reading reviews. In around your price range, the Rikon 10-326 14" gets consistently excellent reviews. It seems it has less quality issues than some other brands, and I've seen some nightmare reviews of other brands.

I've been thinking about getting the 10-326, but I if I can afford it, I'd like to step up to an 18" Rikon. Unfortunately the 18" Rikons are not on sale any more. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a sale, or possibly get a used bandsaw if one pops up near me.

If anyone has thoughts on the 18" Rikon 10-342 Deluxe 2HP model, Vs. the 18" Rikon 10-347 Professional 4HP model, I'm all ears.The 10-347 has a brake and looks to be a dream machine, but it's a lot more $.

Cheers,

Todd