PDA

View Full Version : 20" sanding discs

Robert Hayward
05-02-2020, 8:15 PM
Where do buy your larger sanding discs? 20" is what I am interested in. Any brand better than the others? Do you use the same disc for metal and wood?

Matt Day
05-02-2020, 10:29 PM
The 20” PSA ones I got from supergrit were crap. Kept delaminating until I applied some spray adhesive. Not buying from them again.

I’ll probably try Klingspor or something next.

Ben Grefe
05-02-2020, 11:17 PM
Matt,

My 20 disc just has bubbles under it from delamination as well. What kind of adhesive are you using to fix this? I was hoping for a dead flat surface and that’s not the case here.

Mel Fulks
05-03-2020, 12:29 AM
Check with pattern maker suppliers. Kindt Collins is a name I remember

David Bolson
05-03-2020, 1:08 AM
I have no idea if these (https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D1345-Diameter-Aluminum/dp/B0000DD2DJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=D1345+disc&qid=1588482139&s=hi&sr=1-1) are better than others, but it’s what I have

David

Alex Zeller
05-03-2020, 8:07 AM
I bought some Klingspor cloth backed ones in different grit off of ebay. They work well but the adhesive doesn't stick that well. I had some spray stuff for sanding pads so it didn't matter to me. I don't know if they were new old stock or if they are all like this. I personally like cloth over paper backing on the 20" pads. Unlike the 5" pads these last a long time and I didn't want to rip one prematurely ending it's life.

Robert Hayward
05-03-2020, 5:42 PM
I have no idea if these (https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D1345-Diameter-Aluminum/dp/B0000DD2DJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=D1345+disc&qid=1588482139&s=hi&sr=1-1) are better than others, but it’s what I have

David

Prior to this post I had ordered two of these in 80 grit just to try them, they have not arrived yet. They are cheaper than most, if not all the others ones I have looked at online. Skeptical only because they are less money than others. Do you sand any metal with yours, or just wood?

Robert Hayward
05-03-2020, 5:46 PM
I bought some Klingspor cloth backed ones in different grit off of ebay. They work well but the adhesive doesn't stick that well. I had some spray stuff for sanding pads so it didn't matter to me. I don't know if they were new old stock or if they are all like this. I personally like cloth over paper backing on the 20" pads. Unlike the 5" pads these last a long time and I didn't want to rip one prematurely ending it's life.

I see a lot of this brand for sale on Ebay all claiming to be top grade. Almost ordered a ten pack, thanks for telling us the adhesive is not the best. What is the "spray stuff" for sanding pads? Brand? I have a little 9" disc sander that I have a terrible time keeping the discs flat on the wheel.

Alex Zeller
05-04-2020, 6:30 PM
The stuff I have no longer has a label on it. My guess is it's over 15 years old and no longer has a label. I got it back when I was doing a lot more automotive bodywork. The pressure sensitive pads would only stick so well so I got this stuff to help out. I tried looking for it but it's like nobody makes it now. The closest I could find that's available is 3M super 77. But it's not as good.

David Bolson
05-04-2020, 8:40 PM
Do you sand any metal with yours, or just wood?

Just wood. Works fine for that.

Matt Day
05-04-2020, 10:08 PM
Matt,

My 20 disc just has bubbles under it from delamination as well. What kind of adhesive are you using to fix this? I was hoping for a dead flat surface and that’s not the case here.

I used some 3m 77 I think it was I have around. Worked great. My disc has a little wobble, so I next time I change paper I’ll look into it and break the dial indicator out and see what’s going on.

I sand metal occasionally.

keith wootton
05-05-2020, 12:37 AM
you will not go wrong with 3m 348d discs. i have gotten them from rs hughes, but lots of sellers of this quality product.

Robert Hayward
05-05-2020, 7:38 PM
you will not go wrong with 3m 348d discs. i have gotten them from rs hughes, but lots of sellers of this quality product.

Thanks for the 3M number. I did not even know 3M had large sanding discs. I am a fan of 3M smaller sanding discs.

Robert Hayward
05-05-2020, 7:40 PM
I used some 3m 77 I think it was I have around. Worked great. My disc has a little wobble, so I next time I change paper I’ll look into it and break the dial indicator out and see what’s going on.

I sand metal occasionally.

How is the 3M 77 when you want to remove a worn disc? I know the 77 and 90 are almost impossible to get off my hands. Not that I would spray my hand. :)

Robert Hayward
05-05-2020, 8:06 PM
Just did a Google for the 3M 348d. HD popped up so I went there to check price. This is for a 12", do not even want to know what they want for a 20". :eek: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-PSA-Cloth-Disc-348D-20792/310532639

Richard Coers
05-05-2020, 9:54 PM
Just a heads up. Metal and wood sanding on the same machine is a recipe for a shop fire. It's the closest I ever came to having a fire in a shop. Smelled smoke after shaping the end of a piece of steel earlier. Looked over and smoke coming from the sander. I had to quickly drop the bottom shroud to fine a glowing ball of sawdust. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT keep a dust collector hose on when doing steel, even with the dust collector off!!!!!! We ordered silicon carbide cloth backed from McMaster Carr when I was working in the model shop. I bought for the service and not for the price.

Matt Day
05-05-2020, 9:58 PM
Spray adhesive comes off with a combination of razor blade and goof off.

Ben Grefe
05-05-2020, 10:32 PM
Well annoyingly I picked up some other discs off amazon the other day, but the 348d discs are not much more (13 bucks).

Edit: Well Amazon’s severely delayed shipping has worked out in my favor this time. Cancelled my other order and picked up one of these 348d discs instead. Looking forward to it.

Robert Hayward
05-06-2020, 6:16 PM
Well annoyingly I picked up some other discs off amazon the other day, but the 348d discs are not much more (13 bucks).

Is that $13 more than your other ones or $13 for a 20" disc? Mind providing a link? The ones I am looking at for around $16 each are in a ten pack. Just a hobby woodworker and do not need ten at a time. Buying two or three at a time puts the price well over $20 each.