PDA

View Full Version : Bistro chair slats

Gary McNair
05-02-2020, 12:31 PM
Trying to replace some wood slats on the back and seat area on our Bistro Chairs. The originals have a slight but noticeable bow which make this a difficult job. I was wondering if anyone has replaced these and how is the bow made?

Thanks
Gary
Chico, CA

Doug Garson
05-02-2020, 2:15 PM
Picture would help, they could be steam bent (or just heat bent) or a laminated glue up in a form. You can bend wood quite easily by applying heat from a heat gun, clamp to a form, let cool and release, expect some springback and if you need more bend adjust the form and repeat until you get the curve you want.

Gary McNair
05-03-2020, 12:14 PM
Picture would help, they could be steam bent (or just heat bent) or a laminated glue up in a form. You can bend wood quite easily by applying heat from a heat gun, clamp to a form, let cool and release, expect some springback and if you need more bend adjust the form and repeat until you get the curve you want.

Thanks Doug
Today I'm trying to identify the type of wood used originally ? Would Oak be suitable? The slats are 3/8" thick, 1 3/4" wide and 17" long. I'll try to post a picture later. I have a bandsaw and could make a nice form block out of some scrap Doug Fir. There are 7 slats per chair so 14 pcs to make.

Gary