PDA

View Full Version : Tortion box construction

Rob Blaustein
12-26-2005, 9:08 PM
I'm making a 27" x 40" extension table for the right side of my cabinet saw so that I can attach my Excalibur overarm guard. Since it will have to resist twisting, I thought I'd do some sort of tortion box construction. If instead of doing it the usual way of cutting out half-width slots I simply butt jointed the cross pieces using pocket holes, how would that compare in strength to the classic method? Also, what is a good number of rows and columns. I just bought some 1 x3 poplar so will be using that, along with a 3/4 melamine top.

Scott Parks
12-26-2005, 9:42 PM
David Marks did one with simple butt joints and MDF. Here's the link: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_wwk/episode/0,2046,DIY_14350_26946,00.html

Hows the vanity going???

Rob Blaustein
12-26-2005, 9:49 PM
Thanks Scott--I thought that looked familiar--I have it on Tivo and even watched it the other day. Shows you how good my memory is. Guess I'll give it another look. And using the nail gun is probably a lot faster than lotsa pocket holes.

Jim Becker
12-26-2005, 9:55 PM
Rob, just make the end that the overarm guard bolts to a little "stronger"...no harm in a thicker apron at that point. It will give the bolts a little more meat to bite into.

Rob Blaustein
12-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Rob, just make the end that the overarm guard bolts to a little "stronger"...no harm in a thicker apron at that point. It will give the bolts a little more meat to bite into.
Thanks Jim--I was thinking of doing that, but hearing someone else suggest it clinches it. I know you have one of these guards, so I'll ask you another question. But first, I was wrong when I said I'm making it 27" x 40"; it will be 27" x 21". The 21" will allow me to mount the guard the minimum of 40" from the blade. But I don't have long rails, so only 10" of the extension table will be supported by the rails (via 2-3 bolts on each side)--the other 11" will be floating (no legs either). So only that single leg on the Excalibur will give any support to the ground. Do you think it will be OK?

Rob Blaustein
12-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Hows the vanity going???

Sorry Scott, I missed that part of your post. Well, I think I've got the design mostly done, plan to buy plywood this week and start carcass construction. That is, assuming my wife doesn't go into labor in the next few days:). But it doesn't look like it will get done before the baby comes. So is the sound of a table saw as good as a lullaby?

Scott Parks
12-27-2005, 10:08 AM
So is the sound of a table saw as good as a lullaby?

No, my wife still reminds me of how inconsiderate I was when I spent the first week of my son's life in the garage. (And that was over 5 years ago) But hey, I was making a nice baby changing cabinet!

Jim Becker
12-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Rob, the foot for the guard can certainly go to the floor and provide additional support to the table. In this configuration I think you'll have to use the angled suport parts, too...I was able to leave them off through the method I used to secure the foot to my mobile base, thus leaving the area under the extension table clear for storage. (Pics on my site)