PDA

View Full Version : New turner, first attempt

Mike Forsman
12-26-2005, 8:28 PM
I posted this in the "What tools did you get for Christmas" thread in the general woodworking and tools section. Thought I would introduce myself here. Got a new Jet 1442 for an anniversary and Christmas present. My work schedule has prevented me from trying it out, until last night. Used a chunk of maple that I had sitting around the shop. While very simple, I though it turned out ok, for a first attempt at turning:o. Now, I think I'm hooked on this part of WW. Thanks for looking.

Jim Ketron
12-26-2005, 9:01 PM
Oh yea! Heck of a nice fist Bowl or 30th!
Great Job Mike!
Your a natural keep on turning!;)

Travis Stinson
12-26-2005, 9:07 PM
Yes, great job Mike! Welcome aboard. And what's this.............."I THINK I'm hooked"??????? HA!!!!!!!!

Dick Parr
12-26-2005, 9:08 PM
Very nice bowl and welcome to the dark side...:D

Corey Hallagan
12-26-2005, 9:11 PM
Great looking bowl! Thanks for the pics!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-26-2005, 9:14 PM
Welcome to the bottom of the slippery slope!

You slid all the way down and did a good job on that bowl!

Bruce

ps: HeHe We Got Another ONE!

Jim Becker
12-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Excellent start to your turning, um...addiction! (You will be assimilated... ;) )

Andy Hoyt
12-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Well done, Mike. Nice chunk of maple and a nice piece of turning. Welcome to the dark side.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++

Ahem. Paging Bob Noles! Oooooooooooh, Bob!?!

John Bailey
12-26-2005, 10:59 PM
You get those kind of results on your first try, eh. I can feel the tug now, I better go to the doctor to see if there is a cure.

John

Ernie Nyvall
12-26-2005, 11:08 PM
You done real good Mike. Nice bowl.

Ernie

John Nicholas
12-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Mike,

Good Job. I like it.

John :)

Bill Stevener
12-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Very, very nice bowl, for your first one indeed. Nice and clean. Just put it up and ten years from now take it down and look at it. Welcome to a great adventure.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
12-27-2005, 6:43 AM
You get those kind of results on your first try, eh. I can feel the tug now, I better go to the doctor to see if there is a cure.

John

Nope..no cure. Save your money and spend it on a lathe and all the accessories John. This is an itch that can be scratched only one way.:p

First attempt Mike?????!!!!:D Sheesh. That piece is enviable. Better hang on to it for the rest of your life! Very Nice!

Michael Stafford
12-27-2005, 6:45 AM
Very well done, Mike. I like that form a lot. Good job!:D

Keith Burns
12-27-2005, 8:09 AM
Very very nice 1st bowl for sure. Nice form. Keep it turnin':)

Sparky Paessler
12-27-2005, 8:25 AM
That's a great first bowl! Mine didn't look anywhere near as good as that. I look forward to seeing your future work.

Mark Cothren
12-27-2005, 8:32 AM
Very nice bowl! Looking forward to seeing some more!

Thanks for the picture!

Keith Christopher
12-27-2005, 5:31 PM
Mike,

VERY NICE ! I don't think I'd call it an attempt though I'd call it success !!! :D

Pat Salter
12-27-2005, 7:44 PM
I don't know which is sicker, that you got suckered into doing this spinney stuff? or that you "Just happen" to have a chunk of maple laying around.... That's sick man.:D

oh, by the way, nice bowl! The problem is that now we expect better!:eek:

Carole Valentine
12-27-2005, 8:16 PM
First attempt at turning???? If you can't do any better than that on your first try, then I think you should just pack that 1442 up and ship it to me! :rolleyes::D:D Seriously, no matter if it's the 1st or the 50th, it's a darn nice bowl!:) Dimensions? Thickness? Finish?

Mike Forsman
12-28-2005, 6:50 PM
All, thanks for your kind comments. I person, I see all of the little problems and a couple of catches. But I'm always my own worst critic. All of you here in the turning section of SMC set the bar very high in terms of quality and your resulting turnings. Rather intimidating for one of the new guys on the block. Perhaps if I keep practicing on a regular basis, I can get half as good.

Carol, the bowl measures 5.25" by 3" high the thickness is a little less than 1/4". I used some Hut Crystal Coat as the finish. Don't believe I will be sending that lathe to you anytime soon. I'm to far down this slope to turn back now.

Chip Sutherland
12-28-2005, 8:29 PM
I got my 1442 for Christmas (before Thanksgiving). Nice looking bowl for any attempt. I still do some flatwork but I have to admit that I like the 'almost' instant gratification of turning. Not matter what part of WW I'm doing, I still find sanding and finishing to be the 'ugh' part of my hobbies.