PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening auger bits

Josko Catipovic
04-30-2020, 12:49 PM
U was given a (Millers Falls Holdall No. 731-12IN) brace and a set of 32 (Wright's Jennings) auger bits which are too dull to be used and need some cleaning up of cutting edges. Grinding/honing everything by hand is intimidating. Is there a machine to do this or a place to send them out too? There are fine-thread screws in the middle of each bit which I have no idea how to sharpen. The outside looks sort of like square mortise bit augers, except the larger ones (>1") have two horizontal cutting surfaces and two spurs. Thanks in advance.

Jim Koepke
04-30-2020, 1:13 PM
U was given a (Millers Falls Holdall No. 731-12IN) brace and a set of 32 (Wright's Jennings) auger bits which are too dull to be used and need some cleaning up of cutting edges. Grinding/honing everything by hand is intimidating. Is there a machine to do this or a place to send them out too? There are fine-thread screws in the middle of each bit which I have no idea how to sharpen. The outside looks sort of like square mortise bit augers, except the larger ones (>1") have two horizontal cutting surfaces and two spurs. Thanks in advance.

The fine thread screws usually do not need sharpening. They may need cleaning if someone has used them to drill through plaster or some other substance. Cleaning the threads can possibly be done with a knife or a sharpened nail.

The threads may not be as fine as they look. Often they are actually twin threads.

An old post > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131238 < does have a section on sharpening.

Do not abrade the underside of the cutting lip or the outside of the spur. If you do not have access to an auger file, use care when using a small fine cutting file.

Your location is not listed in your profile. My last bunch was purchased from a local fastener and tool supplier.

Auger files are listed on the Home Depot site. It appears they are a special order item. Lee Valley has them and currently offers free shipping to the U.S. and Canada.

Your description sounds like some of these might be what are known as ship augers. They are different than standard augers.

Can you post some images?

jtk

Rafael Herrera
04-30-2020, 1:36 PM
Josko,

Jim's post is a good starting point. Check out this video as well for a whole review of refurbishing a brace and sharpening auger bits (https://youtu.be/RR7BMwuT8wU).

Does anybody have experience using Cook/Gedge pattern bits? They look very interesting.

How about bull nose/closed nose bits? I'm waiting for some in the mail, I can't wait to experiment with them.

Rafael

Josko Catipovic
04-30-2020, 1:44 PM
Thanks guys. Here are a couple pictures of one of the bits. They did come from boatbuilder. I'm a little intimidated by honing hem all by hand, but suppose I;ll find time for it one day. I do have a LV auger file.

Rafael Herrera
04-30-2020, 2:04 PM
Thanks guys. Here are a couple pictures of one of the bits. They did come from boatbuilder. I'm a little intimidated by honing hem all by hand, but suppose I;ll find time for it one day. I do have a LV auger file.

The thread and spurs look in really god shape. That's a fine thread too, for use in hardwoods. Those are difficult to find.

Jim Koepke
04-30-2020, 5:28 PM

Those may be what is listed in an Irwin pamphlet as Surebor bits:

The pamphlet is available here > https://toolemera.com/pampdf/irwinhowtoPAM.pdf <

Before sharpening the bits, make sure they need sharpening. After test driving the bits, start with the worst one. Be careful and you will likely be surprised by how easy it is to do a good job.

jtk

Josko Catipovic
04-30-2020, 5:52 PM
Maybe, except mine have a double helix going down the shaft, two horizontal cutters, and the bigger ones have two spurs. They all have 'Wright's Jennings' engraved(?) on them.
But, how do you sharpen the 1/4" bit? Diamond paddle files?

Jim Koepke
04-30-2020, 7:37 PM
Maybe, except mine have a double helix going down the shaft, two horizontal cutters, and the bigger ones have two spurs. They all have 'Wright's Jennings' engraved(?) on them.

Yes, the Irwin reference was only for informational purposes.

Now my curiosity has me wondering about the origin of the Wright's Jennings name.

jtk