PDA

View Full Version : Hand drill bits?

David Wadstrup
04-29-2020, 4:50 PM
I've been keeping myself busy these days with a couple of hand drill restorations. I completed a Millers Falls No. 2 recently, and am now at work on a Goodell Pratt 5 1/2. They both have beautiful rosewood handles that are hollow and are designed to house a few bits each. The problem is I don't have any. AND I'm not even sure what kind of bits these drills were originally supplied with. I've looked on eBay, but the only ones I've found seem like they might have been specific to those Yankee-type ratcheting push drills. Anyways, can anyone point me in the right direction? What is the proper terms for these bits? Are they simply called "fluted drill bits?" I'd also love to hear from any of you who may have some extras in good condition that you're willing to sell. And finally, would anyone recommend a good alternative to period correct bits? Would regular old twist drill bits work? What about gimlet-style bits?

Thanks for your help!

Jim Koepke
04-29-2020, 7:45 PM
David, Regular old twist drill bits work fine. Mine are usually stocked with bits sized to drill pilot holes for wood screws.

Bits should be available at any hardware or big box store.

Otherwise Victor Machinery Exchange is a good source > https://www.victornet.com < They do have a $25 minimum order. It is all too easy to find that much stuff on their site to get to the minimum.

You could buy a complete set in a metal case and be done with it.

jtk

Jason Buresh
04-29-2020, 10:16 PM
David,

I doubt they were original, but I also just fixed up a Miller's Falls no 2 and it came with twist bits in the handle. They work fine.

I do have a set of Brad point drill bits of modern manufacturing that I prefer. Being able to put the brad point on a mark and have it stay there is a must for accurate holes with a hand drill. The other bits can have a tendency to wander if you aren't careful

steven c newman
04-29-2020, 10:23 PM
There was something called "Drill Points" some of the Eggbeater drills did come with them...usually had a plain straight shank...then almost like two spoon bits back to back....I do have one or two such bits around the shop..have one handy,,but it is slightly smaller than a 1/16" diameter...won't show up to well.

Have used mostly twist drill bits,,,,might just start with a few brad point bits...as long as they will fit in the chuck..

Nicholas Lawrence
04-30-2020, 7:31 AM
I have a two Craftsman hand drills. They are pretty much identical to the Millers Falls 5 and 2 as far as I can tell. One came with a countersink in the handle, but otherwise neither came with any bits. I have used them for years with regular bits from the hardware store and they work just fine.

If you go from eggbeaters to push drills be aware some of the push drills cannot use regular bits. Mine are shaped into a cross where they go into the chuck, and the chuck locks around the cross part to keep them from spinning when you drill.

David Wadstrup
04-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Thanks so much for the info! I do have a follow up question... I've heard of people recommending the use of brad point bits as an "upgrade" for these egg beater drills. I use brad point almost exclusively for drilling holes in wood and love them. But I can't wrap my head around how they would be a benefit in a non-powered tool. the center spur seems like it would be great to keep the bit from "walking," but I would think that introducing the spurs to the wood before they're at speed would result tearout rather than cleanly cut holes. What's your experience?

I guess I'll probably just load up these drills with regular old twist bits as it seems like finding the period correct bits might be a challenge.

Anyways, again, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond -- I very much appreciate it!

Nicholas Lawrence
04-30-2020, 12:21 PM
I don’t know the answer.

I use a nail set with hand pressure to mark the holes, and do not notice any trouble with the drill bit walking or drifting or whatever.

Rafael Herrera
04-30-2020, 1:50 PM
David, the Millers Falls no.2 egg beater came originally with a set of 8 round shank straight fluted blade. See their 1938 catalog lists them at $0.40 a set.
The no. 2 can hold any round bit up to 3/8" diameter, they're described in the catalog a few pages later.

Rafael

https://archive.org/details/MillersFallsCatalog421938/page/n72/mode/1up

James Pallas
04-30-2020, 4:56 PM
The bits on the top are a complete set for a Yankee. The ones on the bottom are a complete set for a Stanley egg beater. You can readily see the “Yankee” shank and the egg beater straight shank. Both sets are straight flutes with the smallest being 1/16 and the largest 11/64. I’m guessing they are sized for screw pilot holes.