PDA

View Full Version : Angel Choir

Harry Pye
12-26-2005, 7:12 PM
For the last couple years I've been trying to turn some sort of Christmas tree ornament for my kids. (not really kids since the youngest is 42). This year I made these little angels. They are nearly exactly the same as the ones made by Nick Cook and featured in the Winter 2004 edition of American Woodturner. His were four inches tall and taller. I made mine about two inches tall so they would be closer to the size of most ornaments and not as heavy.

The body and wings are turned from Maple and the halos from a poplar dowel. I can see a lot of things about them that I'd change but when turning a number of similar items you learn a little from each one.

Thought I'd be clever in using some Christmas wrapping paper as a background. Yuck! They are all distributed now or I'd take another picture.

Bill Stevener
12-26-2005, 7:28 PM
Hi Harry,
Never saw any like that. They are all very nice. Looks like some work in the halos.

Harry Pye
12-26-2005, 7:37 PM
Bill,

I used a small spindle gouge and a captive ring tool to make the halos. A piece of 3/4" dowel in my scroll chuck. Stuff the spindle gouge in the center and do some hollowing. Roll the outside like a bead and use the captive ring tool to curve the inside. Actually my captive ring tool is intended for a larger cross section ring. But by pulling the tool towards my body it was possible to reduce the thickness of the ring.

The gold is a product called Rub and Buff. It seems to have been around for a long time. I recall getting a tube of it in the early eighties. It is a paste that contains fine metalic particles in a wax base. It really covers well. I had tried colored markers and wasn't excited with the results. I do like this stuff and intend to use it to enhance the outside of a bowl.

Dick Parr
12-26-2005, 7:45 PM
Those are really nice Harry. Great Job.

Jim Ketron
12-26-2005, 8:12 PM
Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like those Harry!
Nice Job!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-26-2005, 9:21 PM
Me, too, Harry! Very Nice!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
12-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Man, I bet they enjoyed those Harry. Great idea and execution of same.

Ernie

John Hart
12-27-2005, 6:27 AM
What great little pieces Harry!! There's been some very nice ornaments displayed over the past month or so but these are so different. I like them a lot! :)

Keith Burns
12-27-2005, 8:14 AM
Very nice Harry ! They look great for sure !:) :)