PDA

View Full Version : Well the slab is finally done, now I need to flatten it...

Robert Mayer
12-26-2005, 6:09 PM
Well it took about a week and a lot of glue. Its 3 1/4 inches thick of solid coffeebean wood. 22 inches wide until i add the fiddleback maple sides and 70 inches long. Im going to build a simple douglas fir base for it. Its definitely going to be a heavy workbench.

Next thing is to get the vises for it. I think im going to get the economy vises from woodcraft. Then figure out where to drill the holes. Anyone know what size holes should be drilled?

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/3602ny_trip_7.1.05_039.jpg

Corey Hallagan
12-26-2005, 6:25 PM
Robert that is going to a nice bench. Nice heavy solid top!

Corey

Jim Becker
12-26-2005, 6:32 PM
Now, that's a "stout" top, Robert!! :) Your vices should come with instructions and even a template relative to drilling appropriate holes. If you are refering to dog holes, wait until you have your vices so you can position them convenient to them. Oh...and don't do what I did and "mis-measure" for the dog holes...CHECK IT THREE TIMES and consider having someone else check it, too...filling and re-drilling is a pain in the tukus!

Bob Aquino
12-26-2005, 7:30 PM
What is Coffeebean wood? Just so happens, I am in the middle of building my bench as well. Probably about the same size, should be around 6' long and the slab about 2' wide with a tool tray. I got a good deal on some 8/4 maple, 1.90 a bd foot so I got a good amount to play with. I am in the process of building the base first and will do the top once I have that complete. I picked up two of the woodcraft vises yesterday, they looked pretty good for the price. I am hoping to get working on the top in another couple of days. It should be interesting glueing it up, the 2" wide maple is not easily persuaded by clamps if there is a bit of a gap in a joint. Good Luck, keep the pictures coming.

Gregg Mason
12-26-2005, 8:59 PM
Where are the beans ?

Looks nice.

Bartee Lamar
12-26-2005, 9:02 PM
Not sure of the hole size, but I have read several posts about using a plunge router for holes. This is easiest way to get them straight.

How are you doing to flatten the top?

Hand plane? router jig?

Rob Horton
12-26-2005, 9:47 PM
Robert,

If you're going for round dog holes, I think that 3/4" holes are what you're looking for. I drilled some of those in an old bench top to use with some of those Wonder Dogs and Wonder Pups from Lee Valley (those are pretty good IMHO by the way).

You can make a jig on your drill press to help you with drilling straight holes in your benchtop. Or if you have a portable drill you can get one of those attachments for it that will allow you to drill 90 degs.

Robert Mayer
12-26-2005, 9:59 PM
The lumber mill i got the wood from called it coffeebean. It really looks like oak from the side. Its as hard and heavy as oak. When you cut it you can really smell it. Doesnt smell bad, just really strong. When it burns it actually turns purple. I got it for $1.50 a bf.

Im going to make a router jig to flatten it most of the way, then switch to a low angle LV jointer plane to finish it. Theres too much glue on the top to start with the plane.

Im going to pickup the vises tommorrow.

Robert Mayer
12-26-2005, 9:59 PM
Not sure of the hole size, but I have read several posts about using a plunge router for holes. This is easiest way to get them straight.

How are you doing to flatten the top?

Hand plane? router jig?

I saw that article on using the router for the holes, it looked like an excellent way to do it.

Keith Outten
12-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Robert,

Another option for surfacing your new table top would be to find a ShopBotter in your area. A ShopBot could surface the top in just a few minutes per side and it would be machined near perfectly flat.

You can visit the ShopBot Forum and ask if there is a ShopBot owner in Tulsa that would do the job, it might be less hassle and cheaper than building a router jig.

Alan Turner
12-27-2005, 3:54 AM
As Keith said, a CNC would work well, as would a 24" planer with a sled arrangement.

Robert Mayer
12-27-2005, 8:28 AM
As Keith said, a CNC would work well, as would a 24" planer with a sled arrangement.

Any idea what type of shop would have a cnc type machine? A cabinet shop?

Think the neighbors would like to hear a router for a couple hours in my driveway?

Here is the clamps i was looking at getting from woodcraft.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1893

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/Family/web1893.jpg

Greg Heppeard
12-27-2005, 9:12 AM
Robert,
When you stop by the Woodcraft store, ask for me and we can talk about where to get it flattened. I know a couple of cabinet shops in the area that may do it. I don't know of any that have CNC but I do know that most have a 48" belt sander that would do it nicely.
Greg

Robert Mayer
12-27-2005, 9:17 AM
Robert,
When you stop by the Woodcraft store, ask for me and we can talk about where to get it flattened. I know a couple of cabinet shops in the area that may do it. I don't know of any that have CNC but I do know that most have a 48" belt sander that would do it nicely.
Greg

Im going to swing by there during lunch to get a couple of those bench vises. The only problem with belt sanding it is that both sides are not flat. And about a 1/8 or 1/4 needs to come off the top since I didnt glue it up perfectly.

Keith Outten
12-27-2005, 9:18 AM
Robert,

You will find ShopBots in large and small workshops, post a message on their forum and ask for a Botter in your area.

When I said fast I meant it...I can resuface my 4' x 8' router table in just under 12 minutes of routing time with a 1.125" diameter flat bottom router bit. Your table top will take less time no doubt. The table top should be accurate to within 4 to 7 thousandths of an inch.

Robert Mayer
12-27-2005, 2:03 PM
Well I picked up a couple of those woodcraft vises. They are really beefy, plus i had the 25% off coupon.

I also went ahead and got a super beefy 1 1/4 whiteside bit thats perfect for flattening. I decided to just do it myself. I want to put my jointer plane to work!

Jack Hoying
12-27-2005, 3:16 PM
That slab looks like it will make a great workbench! I know that you already have your vise purchased, but if you want to hang a bunch of iron on your bench, I still have my Yost patternmakers vise for sale.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27970
http://users.adelphia.net/%7Ejmhoying/yost13.jpg

I'll looking foward to hearing how your hand planing the top is going. You'll be able to take pride in telling visitor's to your shop how you did it all by hand.

Jack

Robert Mayer
12-27-2005, 3:26 PM
That vise is awesome. I just wish i had the $ to get it.

I really wanted to finish up the top with a handplane, it seems to make the finish shine compared to sanding.

Robert Mayer
12-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Well i decided to use the router jig and finished in about 2 hours.

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/2841ny_trip_7.1.05_002.jpg

Jack Hoying
12-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Looks like that did a really nice job of flattening the top! Some time with a belt sander and trimming the ends and you'll be ready to complete the rest of the bench.
Keep the photos coming,
Jack