PDA

View Full Version : When Working Gets Super Geeky

johnny means
04-29-2020, 4:38 AM
https://youtu.be/EEh01PX-q9I

This is my new favorite YouTuber. I've been in the field for a while and it's not too often I learn something completely new to me. Only the real geeks out their will be able to sit through the entire thing, but there is useful information to be gleaned.

Frank Pratt
04-29-2020, 9:59 AM
Thanks for posting the link Johnny. I've dabbled in speaker construction a little so this was very interesting to me. He explains things very well.

Jamie Buxton
04-29-2020, 3:42 PM
Yeah, he is real geeky, and yes, he does a good job of explaining stuff. But he's fighting a battle which was over long ago. He believes that loudspeakers should be efficient. Back when we had 6 watt amplifiers, efficiency was a real issue. Nowadays amps put out a lot more power. Speaker efficiency no longer matters. Build a box, fill it with damping material to absorb all of the sound from the back of the speaker, and you're done. He sorta mentions this as a design approach at minute 8 or so, immediately dismisses it, and then goes on for an hour chasing efficiency.

Halgeir Wold
04-29-2020, 4:49 PM
Ahem... I've been building speakers and amps for 50 years, and I can assure you there's a LOT more to it than stuffing a box....;)
- and BTW - the Voigt quarter wave pipe has been around for close to 70 years... there's pro's and con's with everything----

Frank Pratt
04-30-2020, 10:56 AM
Ahem... I've been building speakers and amps for 50 years, and I can assure you there's a LOT more to it than stuffing a box....;)

So true. The more you learn about speaker design & construction, the more you realize how much there is to learn. And efficiency still is a big deal, especially when you're dealing with subs. Takes a LOT of power to make the earth shake.

Walter Plummer
04-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Not speakers, but this guy is the one all the rest of the youtube machinist call when they need help. Check this video where he is making cages for ball bearings for his surface grinder. Around the 19 min. mark he starts into the calculations of how much a 5/8" steel ball bearing deforms under load. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrFG8X7w8yQ. Really interesting but most o his stuff is ay above me.

Rod Sheridan
04-30-2020, 3:11 PM
Yeah, he is real geeky, and yes, he does a good job of explaining stuff. But he's fighting a battle which was over long ago. He believes that loudspeakers should be efficient. Back when we had 6 watt amplifiers, efficiency was a real issue. Nowadays amps put out a lot more power. Speaker efficiency no longer matters. Build a box, fill it with damping material to absorb all of the sound from the back of the speaker, and you're done. He sorta mentions this as a design approach at minute 8 or so, immediately dismisses it, and then goes on for an hour chasing efficiency.

Okay, so I'm an ancient geek running a pair of Lascala's.

In my opinion efficiency is very important for dynamic range.

Regrds, Rod.

Halgeir Wold
04-30-2020, 4:51 PM
Never mind.... most of us are ancient in most respects anyway...:cool:

johnny means
04-30-2020, 9:22 PM
I was actually less interested in the speaker design and more interested in the acoustic properties of different materials.

Ben Rivel
04-30-2020, 9:57 PM
Very interesting watch! That was pretty cool!

Frank Pratt
04-30-2020, 11:30 PM
I was actually less interested in the speaker design and more interested in the acoustic properties of different materials.

He has the best explanation of how a visco-elastic layer, such as Green Glue, affects sound transmission that I've heard.