PDA

View Full Version : A year in the making

Glenn Clabo
12-26-2005, 5:05 PM
Sometimes work gets it in the way but if you're persistant it ends up right. I gave this to DRLOML yesterday and she loves it and filled it up right away. About 20 X 10 X 6 tall. I didn't want it too big...if you know what I mean.;) All cherry with a wipe poly finish. Not an original as you can see. It actually took over a year to find the right feeling...I spent most of the time hiding it. I must retire soon!

Greg Heppeard
12-26-2005, 5:11 PM
Very Nice!! I love the way the front of the drawers all have been grain matched, a true sign of craftsmanship.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2005, 5:33 PM
Very nicely done Glenn! I like the matched drawer fronts!

Jason Tuinstra
12-26-2005, 5:56 PM
Glenn, what a wonderful piece. You nailed it on the wood selection. Very, very nice.

Corey Hallagan
12-26-2005, 6:31 PM
Wow, beautiful work Glen, the wood is wonderful!

Corey

Jim Becker
12-26-2005, 6:33 PM
Yum! That's gorgeous!! It's a really nice design, too...do tell where you found it or how it came about if it is your own design

Bruce Page
12-26-2005, 6:36 PM
Glenn, that's simply beautiful! Suitable for the Hope Diamond!

Roger Everett
12-26-2005, 7:00 PM
Really nice Glen, really. Right from the match of the front, you can tell the craftsmanship that went into it.
Roger

Doug Shepard
12-26-2005, 7:18 PM
That's one sweet looking box. The drawer gaps look too fine for a TS. I'm guessing handsawn or bandsawn from the same board? Got any more pics with the top/sides/back?

Jay Knoll
12-26-2005, 7:23 PM
Glen

That is a fantastic piece of work! But you made a big mistake, if you wife is like mine, it doesn't matter what size drawer/jewlery box is available, she keeps on buying (hmmmmm maybe this trait isn't sex linked, I think a few of us around here do the same things with our shops/garages)

So, you're going to have to build another one, the only question is when!

I really liked the grain matching.'

Jay

PS does a certain moderator have an avatar machine going? Seems like a new one every week or so.

Vaughn McMillan
12-26-2005, 7:54 PM
How about magnificent? I don't thing anyone's used that term yet. Excellent material choice and execution, Glen. That box ought to be good as credit for at least one mid-sized power tool. ;) Very well done. I'd love to see more pics of the details.

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
12-26-2005, 8:02 PM
Class-A all the way, Glenn! Truly a stunning piece.:) I agree with Vaughn for a few more detail pics! Please! :) :cool:

Frank Pellow
12-26-2005, 8:27 PM
It certainly looks like a year well spent. Very nice work indeed, Glenn!

Gregg Mason
12-26-2005, 8:45 PM
Very nice. Well worth the wait.

lou sansone
12-26-2005, 9:57 PM
nice looking box. Looks like it was well needed and put to good use. Ok so what is next on the long list?

lou

John Bailey
12-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Good looking box, and what a great gift for your wife. I wouldn't worry about her wanting to fill it up. The more she buys, the more tools you'll have to buy to make more, bigger and better boxes.

John

Mark Singer
12-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Glenn,
Great , great job...You incorporated several wonderful details that reall set this piece apart! Great design! Beautiful work!!

Jerry Todd
12-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Glenn,
That is a piece of art. Only one way to describe it.

OUTSTANDING!

Corvin Alstot
12-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Beautiful. Nicely finished inside and out. How and what did you use to
finish the inside. The wood figure on the outside works well.

Charles Bruno
12-27-2005, 1:00 AM
Great looking box Glenn! The wood is fantastic!

Glenn Clabo
12-27-2005, 8:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. As you all know the beauty is in the wood...and then it comes down to not screwing that up by fighting it.

To answer some questions -
Jim...The design, like most of what I like to do, comes from observation...suffering over designs and sketches...then making some mock-ups out of cardboard to get the size/proportion right. It may be hard to believe but that dreaded marking stick and those sketches didn't play much of a part at all. It kind of just happens.

Doug...You are right...Bandsaw was a friend to the piece of wood I used for the front. I cut it to the right width on the TS, leaving enough in length for the tenons for the top brace piece and then made the two cuts for the draws.

Corvin...The bottoms are lined with black velvet. I tried to experiment with the LV Flock stuff...just didn't feel right. The necklace pouch is silk.

Lou...I have a VERY long list of things to build. We've had an empty room off the kitchen for two years that someday will be a library. I (or should I say we?) also have plans to replace some of the things I've built, and given away when we combined two households. Most were during my oak days so now it's on to our mutually loved cherry. Redoing the kitchen in cherry got us totally hooked. The problem I have is simply time...so the have to do list keeps me hopping. Also the people and systems (submarines) I support keep me way too busy with work.

These pictures were taken by DRLOML to show it off to her family up in Canada. On my monitor here at work it shows a little darker and red than it really is. It's old cherry so it's pretty...but in a few years in the bedroom sunlight is going to do the right thing. I'll try to get some more...but like I said all I did was try to not screw up what nature gave me.

Thanks again everyone...I know how much my wife loves it...she can't stop touching it...but it's also very nice to wake up to these kind words by people who really appreciate what a pleasure it is working with wood.

Shelley Bolster
12-27-2005, 9:58 AM
Simply Stunning Glenn! :)

I know how much my wife loves it...she can't stop touching it...
Appreciation such as that makes it soooooo worthwhile doesn't it? Making something that others cherish is what most of us strive for....you certainly achieved that with this beautiful gift to your wife.:D

Dave Richards
12-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Glenn, that is absolutely beautiful. What a nice use of that piece of cherry for the front and I like the way the lid works with it. Great job. Thanks for sharing.

John Hart
12-27-2005, 10:06 AM
A treasure to store her treasures. Well worth the year Glenn. Beautifully done all around!

Richard Bergen
12-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Gorgeous!!! Can you take some more photos - of the top, sides, back. close-up of the drawers, joints, etc. Show it off to a crowd who know exactly how much work went into it!

Byron Trantham
12-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Just absolutely beautiful!