PDA

View Full Version : Doing what didn't need doing; finding out about using Veritas sharpening guide

bill epstein
04-28-2020, 10:59 AM
Unable to face another movie of the same old explosions, aliens, terrorists, and tired old comedies after dinner last night, I decided to return some chisels from 30 degrees to their original 25. Pathetic, no? I had the guide, needed the exercise, and was curious about how it would handle the narrow shafts. Then there's the often posted queries, here and elsewhere, on uneven sharpening with guides.

#1, careful tightening almost ensures the MK II guide will grip even a 1/4" chisel firmly enough. For honing it would suffice but over the lengthy re-angle process several nudges back to square were necessary. The 3/8" and 1/2" chisels did better, as one would expect.

#2, I'm now certain that the often heard complaint that the guide favors one side or the other is due to us all having a dominant arm. As I moved up from 3/8" to 1/2" this became more apparent. The trailing edge of the left side of the bevel became angled, requiring focusing more pressure on the left hand grip. All the above done with a 600 grit King Water Stone.

I was going to hone a 30 degree secondary bevel with the 600 but instead used the 2 degree micro bevel setting on the guide (because it was there) with my 8000 grit King after polishing the full bevel. I took that back farther than normal, about 1/8". Finally, I dragged the leading edge back a few times to get a micro-micro bevel.

Do the chisels cut better than before? Nah. They look better though! And surprisingly, I was able to lift a fork to my mouth at breakfast this morning! Maybe tonight I'll switch my ancient Sandvik Dovetail Saw from Rip back to it's original Crosscut configure.:D I never use it since getting a Ryoba, anyway.

Jim Koepke
04-28-2020, 1:36 PM
Thanks for the in depth report Bill.

My recollection is Derek Cohen mentioned attaching some abrasive material to one side of his guide to help prevent the chisel from skewing.

Your realization of "dominant arm" effects is also likely an important factor.

jtk

Jon Middleton
04-28-2020, 7:25 PM
It takes less than 5 minutes to grind your primary bevel on a half speed grinder with a CBN wheel and the Wolverine tool rest. I bought a wheel from Rob Cosman. It's 80 grit, so cuts really fast. A finer grit would be better for turning tools. Honing takes a couple of minutes, so you can be all done in 5-10 minutes.

James Pallas
04-30-2020, 5:28 PM
Congratulations Bill for figuring the Veritas guide out. I’ve had mine for five years or so and have not had the problems that have been oft related in these hallowed halls. There are a few nuances that need attention at times. Chisels that have a taper and ones that are narrow require some ingenuity. I haven’t put any sandpaper or diamond nail files on mine. The two hints that I would suggest are, if it’s not cutting fast enough use a courser stone, keep the pressure more over the roller and not over the blade edge. It’s a bit like a sander to me if you want to cut faster use courser paper, don’t kneel on the sander it won’t cut faster and you will surely make your work crooked. If you insist on pressure on the blade edge and that edge is out of square starting out it will stay that way.

bill epstein
04-30-2020, 6:40 PM
Coarser paper indeed! Not my first Rodeo.

I graduated from chisels to restoring the 25 degrees on my #4 plane this morning, from 1/2" to 2 " of iron and went right to the 60 Grit AlOx on float glass. :)

Two things of note sharpening a plane blade, 1) there wasn't the dominant hand bias of the narrower iron, and, 2) 600 Grit polish sure looks nicer than 60!
Happy to be back to where I can just free hand hone as I work. The Mark 2 Veritas, though, is a very good tool.