PDA

View Full Version : Why would I want to buy and use Edge

lowell holmes
04-27-2020, 11:06 AM
I have Chrome and I am happy with it.
Old dogs do not like to learn new tricks.

Just wondering.

Paul F Franklin
04-27-2020, 11:17 AM
AFAIK, Edge is free from Microsoft, assuming you are running windows.

If you are happy with Chrome, there is no particular advantage to Edge.

lowell holmes
04-27-2020, 2:58 PM
Thanks, that's what I figured the case to be.

Old dogs don't like new tricks.

Adam Herman
04-27-2020, 3:26 PM
edge is terrible. stick with chrome.

lowell holmes
04-27-2020, 3:49 PM
edge is terrible. stick with chrome.

That's good feed back. I am happy with Chrome. Besides, old dogs do not like new tricks...

Jim Koepke
04-27-2020, 5:33 PM
Isn't Chrome a product of Google? My understanding is users are profiled via their searches and the websites they visit. That doesn't stop me from using it as one of my browsers.

My other browser is Safari. Some things display different in Safari as opposed to Chrome. It all depends on the programmer of the sites one visits.

It is sometimes kind of fun to go on wild hunts to throw off the data miners. Then they start sending the weirdest ads on the pages that use Google ads.

jtk

lowell holmes
04-27-2020, 6:11 PM
Chrome is a part of Google.

Mark McClurg
04-27-2020, 6:19 PM
Firefox from Mozzila.org is an alternate browser to consider.

Matt Day
04-27-2020, 7:45 PM
I thought I was having flashback, guess not. You asked this question a month ago.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?281540-Microsoft-Edge&highlight=

Bruce Volden
04-27-2020, 9:53 PM
My EDGE had 230,000 miles on it before I traded it in on a newer Elploder!
OH browsers, Chrome fan here also==old dog new tricks thingy.

Bruce

Jim Koepke
04-28-2020, 1:25 PM
Firefox from Mozzila.org is an alternate browser to consider.

For me it has been a lot of hassle to configure Firefox in to working.

jtk

Curt Harms
04-29-2020, 7:58 AM
I don't use either - use Vivaldi where Firefox doesn't display properly. If I needed to display sites that only work in Chrome, I'd try Chromium. Chromium is the open source project on which Chrome is based. I figure Chromium would be less invasive than a browser produced by a company that makes $billions by selling peoples' information.

Jim Becker
04-29-2020, 9:10 AM
The latest version of Edge is also based on the Chromium engine...

Matt Schrum
04-29-2020, 9:52 AM
I'm an avid Chrome user, but it is worth noting that Edge is supposed to be less of a RAM hog (though, compared to Chrome, that's likely true of most browsers).

lowell holmes
04-29-2020, 3:27 PM
Old dogs are forgetful dogs. You will get there someday. :o

Grant Wilkinson
04-30-2020, 8:27 AM
I use Firefox and have since version 1. It works well for me. Any sites that I have a problem with are usually caused by the security settings that I have, and not by Firefox itself.

I won't use Chrome and my workplace will not even allow it on its machines. I think that came about when Google offered to sell the company metrics on browser use.

At home, I've started playing with the new Edge,the one based on the chromium engine, and it seems to have promise.

Curt Harms
04-30-2020, 8:35 AM
I use Firefox and have since version 1. It works well for me. Any sites that I have a problem with are usually caused by the security settings that I have, and not by Firefox itself.

I won't use Chrome and my workplace will not even allow it on its machines. I think that came about when Google offered to sell the company metrics on browser use.

At home, I've started playing with the new Edge,the one based on the chromium engine, and it seems to have promise.

I've run into a few sites that Firefox does not work properly, even when restarted in safe mode. Sometimes safe mode helps, a few times it doesn't. There are some who refer to Chrome as the new I.E.6, e.g. breaks industry standards.

Grant Wilkinson
05-01-2020, 8:31 AM
I like your final sentence, Curt.

Like you, I do run into a site now and then that doesn't like Firefox. So far, I've been able to use Edge with them. There is a lot of bad htm coding out there, so I guess that no browser can handle them all.

bill epstein
05-01-2020, 9:01 AM
How timely. Just yesterday I finally had enough of years with Chrome and their constant ads from every product search, even with Adblock, and loaded Edge.

Adblock is essentially worthless with Chrome. Works perfectly with Edge.

Took a little set up and getting used to but I'm quite happy with Edge.