PDA

View Full Version : Tannewitz Model U

Brian King
12-26-2005, 4:03 PM
Hello, I fount this saw for sale locally. It has an original fence and an overarm with an anti-kickback system on it. Have any of you used one of these? If so, how did you like it? It looks like a very well built saw with a 16" blade capacity. I'm curious about what you guys think about it. I'm an admirer of the older machines. Heck, I love working on the machines as much as using them. I like to restore them to good working order, sometimes improve them to better than new. I appreciate the quality of materials and machine work that went into them.
The asking price is $999.00 for this saw and I can usually get them to take off a little (10% to 20%) because I do a fair amount of business with them through the manufacturing company where I work. If any of you guys are interested in it drop me a note.
Good Day.
Brian

lou sansone
12-26-2005, 4:43 PM
I have not personally used them, but have used the oliver direct drive table saw. I am pretty sure the tannewitz is a direct drive machine. there is nothing like them. absolutely no vibration and tons of power. the tannewitz were the mainstay of most furniture factories. the price is excellent. there is no comparison between it and any new saw within that price range. Its going to be 3 phase so make sure you are ok with that. It may have a riving knife splitter that will also make it pretty sweet. How does it raise and lower and tilt. is the action smooth or do you have to break your arm? what machine do you have now and why would you want to switch? answer those questions and then go for it.

best wishes
lou

Rod Upfold
12-26-2005, 4:59 PM
Go here and do your research....excellent place for that type of machine.

Brian King
12-26-2005, 5:11 PM
Hello Lou,
Yes it is a direct drive saw. The blade raises and lowers by means of a spiral bevel gears attatched to a vertical riser screw. The whole assembly rides on a set of square ways. All movements on this thing were smooth as silk to my amazement.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I don't want to buy it. I just wanted to chat about it and let anyone in here who might be looking for something like that know about it. It is an impressive saw. I have 3 older saws right now. 2 Rockwell Unisaws and a Powermatic 66 which was my last purchase and in process of restoring now. I'm going to sell one Unisaw in the next few months after I decide which one I want to keep. My problem is I get attatched to the darn things. My wife rolls her eyes at me when I tell her " I'm gonna get this to replace that so it won't cost too much " I don't seem to get around to getting rid of the old machines. I have a few things to sell in the next few months.
Thanks for your input on the tannewitz.
Good day,
Brian

Dev Emch
12-26-2005, 5:37 PM
This is one of the later saws with a welded base. But the tanny is one of the top table saws produced by the US woodworking industry. It does not have the cult following oliver does but is equally as good and some say even better. I would not hesitate one bit to get one. Actually, I am lightly looking for an older J model made during the 1930s. I like the sexy curves on the cast iron base and the dual front mounted tilt and height controls. In short, Tannewitz did some awsome work up there in Grand Rapids. Once dialed in, you will not regret having this saw.

Bill Simmeth
12-26-2005, 7:00 PM
Actually, I am lightly looking for an older J model made during the 1930s. I like the sexy curves on the cast iron base and the dual front mounted tilt and height controls.You mean like this one...

lou sansone
12-26-2005, 9:40 PM
bill
looks like the older wadkin TS.. is this one in your stable ?
lou

Bill Simmeth
12-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi Lou,
Yes, this is one of mine. I got it with the intent of restoring and making it my primary saw, but then shortly thereafter the deal that brought me the Oliver 260 fell in my lap. So, this Tanny now sits in storage. I need to find it a good home.

Seth Poorman
12-27-2005, 1:49 AM
You mean like this one...

Wow , That Tannewitz is nice...!!! I would love to have that on the other end of my 8 ft extension table , My 10" Unisaw on one end and a 14" 16" on the other...