PDA

View Full Version : Today was a good day

Jason Buresh
04-26-2020, 5:13 PM
Picked up some new tools today. 4 hand saws ( I was excited about the Disston and cleaned it up already) a set of wood handled screwdrivers, a goddell Pratt Yankee screwdriver, a hand crank grinder, and an old hammer[
ATTACH=CONFIG]431504[/ATTACH]

Stew Denton
04-26-2020, 8:39 PM
Jason,

It looks like you had a profitable day. The Disston saw (#7?), and hammer look especially good. Is the hammer a plumb? If it is, it looks a whole lot like one my dad had. I really liked that hammer.

The grinder may turn out to be a really good deal too. I don't have a hand grinder (and as a matter of fact my tailed grinder is boxed up because I don't have room,) but I wonder if you can control the tool that you are sharpening well enough to really control the bevel well. If you can it may turn out to be a really good deal, because you don't worry too much about overheating the edge.

At any rate, if the prices were good, ya did good.

Regards,

Stew

lowell holmes
04-26-2020, 8:50 PM
Where did this rust hunt take place. Just curious. :)

Jason Buresh
04-26-2020, 9:41 PM
I'm up in northern Wisconsin. All in all I spent $25 on everything.

The Disston has 7ppi, but the etch is very hard to read.

Not sure in the brand of the hammer head. No markings. I would have to assume it is the brand of the label on the handle or someone rehandled it at some point.

Jason Buresh
04-26-2020, 9:45 PM
I also got around to making a new handle for the timber framing slick I found in a $5 bucket a while ago. Nothing fancy, but it will get me by until I can make a nicer one.

David Eisenhauer
04-26-2020, 9:52 PM
I guess they are not closed down in northern Wisconsin. Are folks wearing masks there when shopping?

Jason Buresh
04-26-2020, 9:55 PM
It was a private sale from marketplace. The lower half of the state is getting hit harder with Milwaukee and Madison. But generally up here people are cautious and are wearing masks and washing hands

Jim Koepke
04-27-2020, 1:24 AM
I also got around to making a new handle for the timber framing slick I found in a $5 bucket a while ago. Nothing fancy, but it will get me by until I can make a nicer one.

Is there a makers mark in the slick?

The handle for my 2" Stanley socket chisel is from an old discarded chair or table:

It has worked out well over the years. The furniture was found broken up at the curb on a free trash pick up day.

jtk

Jason Buresh
04-27-2020, 7:01 AM
Union hardware company is the Maker's Mark on the socket

David Eisenhauer
04-27-2020, 11:30 AM
It was a nice haul. And I like the way wooden handled screwdrivers feel in my hand.

Jim Koepke
04-27-2020, 1:46 PM
Union hardware company is the Maker's Mark on the socket

Union Hardware Company chisels are some of my favorite chisels. A very good chisel usually at a decent cost.

jtk

Tom Bender
05-02-2020, 8:05 AM
I wish more tools had square handles so they wouldn't roll.