PDA

View Full Version : Hirsch/Two Cherries: taper and sharpening

Tom Hoffman
12-26-2005, 2:36 PM
I read a tool review on a web site that said Hirsch/Two Cherries chisels have a slight taper on the blade that gets narrower toward the cutting end. The author said It isn't visible by eye and it doesn't impact their use but you can measure it with dial calipers. He went on to say that it becomes a problem if you use a sharpening jig that references one side to set the chisel at a 90 degree angle, resulting in a skewed bevel.

I'm just before ordering a set of Two Cherries, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone in Sawmill Creek Land has noticed this and if it has become a problem when using a "side clamping" honing guides like LN sells.

Jim W. White
12-26-2005, 4:00 PM
I see no evidence of this on the two hirsch mortise chisels I got for Christmas from Lee Valley ...but I can't comment on the bench models.

...Jim in Idaho

Dan Forman
12-26-2005, 4:16 PM
My Hirsch chisels won't fit into the Eclipse side clamping jig. They do taper in toward the handle (not the cutting edge) by about .02", but the profile of the side bevels are not compatible with the jig either. I have found them not that difficult to do by hand though.

Dan