PDA

View Full Version : First Jewelry boxes and Civil War Lantern -w/pics

Mike Zozakiewicz
12-26-2005, 2:23 PM
Well these are my first attempts at jewerly boxes. I made four for my daughters and the small one for the LOML. Cherry sides and poplar tops/bottoms, ebony keys. Don't look too hard or you will see the mistakes! But I think not too bad for first attempt and I sure learned a lot! I stained the girls with a rosewood stain and left the small one unstained and applied three coats of a rub-on poly to all.

Also made a civil war relica candle lantern for my brother. Plans for that were from the Woodcraft Mag. article by Ken Weaver in the 03.05 issue.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-26-2005, 4:52 PM
Good Lookin', Mike. Bet they LOVED them!

Bruce

John Buzzurro
12-26-2005, 4:55 PM
Nice work Mike. I like the 2nd box the most.

Vaughn McMillan
12-26-2005, 5:02 PM
Real nice job Mike, especially for a first-time project. The pics hide any mistakes well, and visible or not, they become part of the learning experience, so you know how to avoid them the next time.

- Vaughn

Jason Tuinstra
12-26-2005, 5:58 PM
Mike, nice detail on the boxes. Good job.

Corey Hallagan
12-26-2005, 6:28 PM
Nice work Mike. I especially like the jewelry boxes. Really nice joinery work. The fabric looks like the same stuff I picked up at Hancock Fabrics for m y daughters jewelery box. Never seen anything like the lanter before, Nice work all around!

Corey

Rob Horton
12-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Mike,

VERY nice work. I'm a sucker for small projects, especially jewelry boxes. And especially if they are for our family and loved ones. I guess I'm just a sentimental old wordworker. Nice work, really!

Jim Kountz
12-27-2005, 7:06 AM
I love anything civil war related and so that lantern was a hit for me. Your boxes are very well done too. Makes me want to take a peek in the ol scrap er... ah... I mean cutoff bin and see what I can come up with!! Great job all around!

Mike Zozakiewicz
12-27-2005, 1:35 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. It was a great learning, building experience as I had to build a miter sled, key cutting sled and quick and dirty router table top to complete the boxes.

The LOML is however, is glad to have me back around, as it was crunch time the last week before Christmas!

Fabric was a purple velvet from the local Hobby Lobby.

Mike