PDA

View Full Version : Luxury item build part 2

William Fretwell
04-24-2020, 7:38 PM
Got to keep my sharpening table, no space in the commercial job for it.
Lots of poplar at the shop so that’s what I’ve used.
To compensate for the wood, the legs are large. The mortices and tenons are large and numerous. Each was drilled out then chopped with timber frame chisels. The tail vise makes holding the wood very easy, nothing in your way.
The shoulder vise works well to pound out the tenon after test fitting.
Getting near assembly, still have to make two cuts in each tenon for the 36 hand cut black walnut wedges!
One side assembled, hook the leg over the shoulder vise, clamp on the cross member then plane the tenon ends.
Progress, lots of pounding, glue, wedges, then clamps, tea time!
Now supporting the granite top presents a challenge, to stop it wobbling and keep it flat as possible I wanted three supports, spaced to provide the most balanced support. I used the method of circles to come up with the support points:
Each circle grabs as much granite in a balanced way as possible. I wanted the small circle at the front to provide push down stability. I measured the centre’s positions to transfer to the table.
The support pieces have a 1&1/2” groove, they just sit in place. Three small pads sit atop the supports. Now I could try the granite, both on the three supports and on the four legs. I measured with a straight edge and feeler gauges for both methods.
The granite dips 8 thou right in the middle across the long dimension and 10 thou across the short dimension when on the 3 circle derived support points. On the four legs, with a spacer under one leg it dips 2 thou more in each direction. Clearly with 3 support points there is no wobble.
Thought I should try it out, my biggest revelation, the height at 38 & 1/2” is wonderful, I can see what I’m doing, no back strain, no wobble, rock solid. The wood may be second rate but the large dimensions make up for it.
Now I just need to add a drawer, a shelf, some stain and 4 coats of varnish to loose some of the utility look. The walnut wedges help dress it up. Yes a bit of luxury!

Jim Matthews
04-25-2020, 7:38 AM
Beaded legs, M'laird?

Quite the rage in Byzantium, I hear.

Very posh.

William Fretwell
04-25-2020, 8:23 AM
Yes, thought I would try my LV Combination plane to lessen the utility look. Results dreadful as usual. May have to make a pretty drawer, perhaps inlay a Red Cross on the front, a home for the first aid kit, goes with sharpening......?

Jim Matthews
04-26-2020, 8:06 AM
"Tis but a scratch..."

https://youtu.be/ZmInkxbvlCs

William Fretwell
04-26-2020, 9:05 AM
Yup, blood stains on virgin wood get very annoying but that’s why we have bandaids. Hard to see the �� on the right of the shelf.
Like the knots, makes it look ‘woody’, also too cheap to use my clear WRC on a utility item, even a luxury one!

Phil Mueller
04-27-2020, 6:34 AM
I’m jealous, I could certainly use a dedicated sharpening station. Looks like that will work out very well.

Mike Allen1010
04-29-2020, 11:13 AM
Very, very Nice Bill- thanks for sharing. if one believes sharpness is the North Star of hand tool WWing, sharpening bench like yours is truly fundamental project. Your's is the sharpening station I wish I built! I love your through, wedged tennons - rock solid, bullet proof and extremely well executed, especially in poplar!

I never heard of the rule of circles, but see how it makes at lot of sense for supporting the granite surface U want to be flat as possible- thanks for sharing the idea.

How do you attach the granite to wooden stand?

Cheers, Mike

michael langman
04-29-2020, 11:54 AM
You have one stout sharpening bench there William. You won't have to worry about it moving on you while sharpening. Looks very nice.

I wish I had your timber frame chisels while chopping the mortices in the planter boxes I have been working on. It took me quite awhile to chop the 3/4" mortices in the pressure treated 4x4 I used for the legs. Of course going through the center of a yellow pine tree on each leg did not help at all. Is that called the pith?

I sure could have used some of that nice poplar that you have there.

William Fretwell
04-29-2020, 7:48 PM
Mike the granite just sits on three pads of teak. I have crosshatched the teak pad with a saw, the underside of the granite is very rough so it should just sit still. If it does not then I will stick some blocks underneath to catch the legs on the side. It weighs 90lb so 30lb on each pad 2x2”.
Michael the Barr chisels are a revelation, chop white oak all day, still very sharp. You will never even look at another timber frame chisel. The poplar came from a tree I took down, 4&1/2 ft across. Wet I had about 6 tons of wood, much lighter now!
The heart wood is the hard stuff, pith is like sponge.
Just making the drawer from the two hardest woods in my shop, hickory and maple, a nice challenge.