PDA

View Full Version : Buying a few things from vendors, now rather than later

Bruce Mack
04-24-2020, 6:12 PM
I really do not need new hand tools but I am justifying some purchases in part as support of vendors I esteem. A set of Narex Richter chisels from Highland Woodworking has arrived and an Ashley Iles gouge with bevel gauge will arrive next week from Tools for Working Wood. Lee Valley is now in my sights. Though my situation (retired and not scared of the economic future, very scared of Covid) supports such spending, I'm proposing similar purchases to others who can make them. Many woodworking operations are threatened. Buy something as support, if you can.

Tim Best
04-24-2020, 6:20 PM
Great sentiment Bruce. I agree completely. I made a purchase from Lee Valley earlier this week using the same logic. Let us know your thoughts once you have some time with the chisels.

Paul F Franklin
04-24-2020, 8:07 PM
I bought a few items from Lee Valley, thinking along the same lines (not that I need much of an excuse to buy from them). I did notice that many items were out of stock; I imagine they are fighting supply chain issues and keeping their production ramped up while trying to keep everyone safe.

Rob Luter
04-24-2020, 8:17 PM
I ordered a couple “essential” items today. Doing my part.

Christopher Herzog
04-24-2020, 8:49 PM
I have three things ordered from woodpeckers. They don't plan on shipping till 5/31 at the earliest. Planning to stick with them and hope for the best.

John Keeton
04-24-2020, 8:54 PM
Benchcrafted Classic leg vise from Highland Woodworking this morning. Boggs spokeshave from LN a few days ago and a Preston shave from LV.

Jim Koepke
04-25-2020, 1:24 AM
Many woodworking operations are threatened. Buy something as support, if you can.

Good idea Bruce. Maybe there is a gouge or two my kit needs.

There was already a bit spent at LV for a few things.

jtk

Stephen Rosenthal
04-25-2020, 2:14 AM
Been wanting a panel gauge from Hamilton Toolworks. One appeared in the classified but I was a half hour late, so I decided to order one directly from Hamilton. I have one of their marking gauges and love it. Happy to support a really small maker of quality tools.

Brian Hale
04-25-2020, 9:24 AM
While my hand tool needs are pretty well taken care I did order a 12" jointer/planer combo and we just signed a contract for 16.7Kw of solar for the house and shop. I am running low on some shop supplies though, stains, paper towels and finishes.

Like Bruce, we're retired and our money is safe and our income won't be effected by this economic studder.

Paul F Franklin
04-25-2020, 12:55 PM
I was at woodcraft this morning picking up my new saw, which I guess counts as supporting local stores. They are doing curbside delivery only, with no customers allowed in the store. I asked the gent loading up my trailer if they were busy or not, under the circumstances. He said stationary tools are flying off the shelves, so to speak, but smaller items not so much. Lot of folks upgrading their shops (like me). I asked him if that was a good thing or not. He said the margins on power tools are tiny compared to specialty tools, supplies, lumber, etc. But he is just thankful to be selling a lot of anything right now.

I imagine not being able to go in the store tends to limit impulse buying....I know I never get out of there with only the item or items I originally went in to get.

Matthew Hills
04-25-2020, 1:07 PM
I imagine not being able to go in the store tends to limit impulse buying....I know I never get out of there with only the item or items I originally went in to get.

sounds like they need curbside endcaps... or to have suggested accessories for the big tools.
Buying a new bandsaw? do you have blades for the type of cuts you want to do? what about featherboards? etc.

Matt

Steve Mathews
04-26-2020, 12:12 PM
I'm taking the opposite point of view on woodworking tool purchases and suspect many vendors have experienced increased sales because of the pandemic. I'll break loose with my next round of purchases, a list which involves about $2k worth of small hand tools, when I see some promotions like free shipping.

Bob Jones 5443
04-26-2020, 12:20 PM
Benchcrafted Classic leg vise from Highland Woodworking this morning. Boggs spokeshave from LN a few days ago and a Preston shave from LV.

You got the Boggs!

Patrick McCarthy
04-26-2020, 12:23 PM
I'm taking the opposite point of view on woodworking tool purchases and suspect many vendors have experienced increased sales because of the pandemic. I'll break loose with my next round of purchases, a list which involves about $2k worth of small hand tools, when I see some promotions like free shipping.

Steve, i think Bruce, the OP, had a more altruistic thought/suggestion in mind.

Steve Mathews
04-26-2020, 2:23 PM
Steve, i think Bruce, the OP, had a more altruistic thought/suggestion in mind.

I agree. As stated, it was an opposite point of view or sentiment. No doubt there are those hurting because of the current situation but I don't think all of the woodworking vendors and manufacturers are affected equally. No promotions signals to me that they don't have a desire to increase sales.

Dennis Droege
04-26-2020, 5:47 PM
I'm glad to hear of a like mind. I've bought several pieces lately with the idea of supporting the vendors. I fight a little buyer's remorse ("Where am I gonna put this stuff??!'), but it's just my latent Scotsman.
The world is going to be a different place in the backwash of this moment, and there will be casualties. Thanks again for your post.

Tony Shea
04-27-2020, 10:33 AM
While my hand tool needs are pretty well taken care I did order a 12" jointer/planer combo and we just signed a contract for 16.7Kw of solar for the house and shop. I am running low on some shop supplies though, stains, paper towels and finishes.

Like Bruce, we're retired and our money is safe and our income won't be effected by this economic studder.

What combination machine did you get? I've been checking these machines out really closely lately and so badly want to buy one. Although I'm in the camp of not being retired so the purchase is certainly going to need to wait a little till the economy shifts a bit. I have recently placed an order with LV but as of right now I'm just kind of watching and hopping this whole things lifts a little and people get back to work. I currently have a job but businesses need to start to open in order for me to keep my job.

Brian Hale
04-28-2020, 9:15 AM
431658Sorry Tony, a busy couple days here.....

I bought the Grizzly G0634xp 12" Jointer/Planer and picked it up from the UPS freight terminal yesterday afternoon.
I was looking for a 12" jointer to replace my 6" Bridgewood and decided to save some $$ with a J/P combo. I've got a 15" Bridgewood planer so the planer function in the combo won't see much use. Another benefit is the weight savings since i need to drag it up 23 steps to the shop in the second floor of the garage.

Jim Koepke
04-28-2020, 1:44 PM

Lee Valley has free shipping. One item has been on my list for a while. An item was added that has been on my gardening wish list for over a decade.

jtk