PDA

View Full Version : Covid 19 effects in the fall

Bill Dufour
04-23-2020, 1:08 AM
Even if Covid is under control in the fall it will have some effects this summer. Now is the time for parents to camp out and get in line at the good schools to sign their kids up for kindergarten. Headstart even goes house to house looking for new students to sign up.
By law public schools have to make an effort to find all children in their district and make them get to school.
Forest fires will only be fought if the fire threatens people or property. No fighting fires just to put them out this summer.
I assume universities will not require SAT scores or even final transcripts for admission this season. The Military boot camps are not taking new recruits for the duration. No idea how that affects the military academies or college dorms. Obviously the Navy will have to stop doing ceremonial visits to foreign ports, like Da Nang.
Bil lD

Jim Becker
04-23-2020, 10:06 AM
It's a little too early to know exactly what the situation will be in the fall, but there clearly will be fundamental changes in how some things will work, particularly with education. Most university institutions are sticking with remote learning through the summer already and many are likely to do the same at least through the end of the calendar year. There is strong talk that SAT/ACT will be deprecated for college admissions decisions because at the present time, there is currently no option for the tests that are not "in-person and proctored". (the testing agencies claim they are working on a solution, however) There's also a chance that in some areas, the same will be true for Elementary through High School, depending on local conditions. At least we live in a time where there are more choices for delivery of education because of technology. It's certainly going to be a challenge for some local school districts to insure that every student is actually participating in required education...some are better setup for that than others.

Professor Dr. SWMBO is finally getting the hang of teaching online...and the multi-tasking it requires which is difficult for her for reasons I'll not get into. Our younger daughter's PSU classes have been remote for the entire semester and have worked out well, for the most part. She was already enrolled in several online classes to better support her work schedule and used to it. I do hope that if the remote learning must continue into the fall that there is some consideration given on tuition cost, even if it's a small adjustment to account for the difference in course delivery. Her work hours have been cut from about 25 per week to about 8 since only her back-of-house hours (accounting for the restaurant she works in) are available. All of her front-of-house management duties are gone presently due to the business being take-out/delivery only. But at least she's still able to work. She also unfortunately didn't qualify for the CARES $1200 benefit because she was still listed as a "dependent" on our tax returns because of being a student...which is about what her normal "cash" contribution to her tuition would be for the fall semester.

Big gatherings really do need to remain restricted for a much longer time, even as other things begin to relax and get back to more normal business. (whatever the new normal will be) It only takes one person who is asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic to infect a whole bunch of folks when they are gathered together in a stadium, auditorium or other large group situation...

John K Jordan
04-23-2020, 2:33 PM
It's a little too early to know exactly what the situation will be in the fall...

I could send you this but it might be defective.

When I gazed into it the day before I saw a warm, sunny day.

Larry Edgerton
04-23-2020, 2:59 PM
I could send you this but it might be defective.

When I gazed into it the day before I saw a warm, sunny day.

LMAO! Exactly John, this is an unprecedented situation. It was a different world the last time one of these rolled through, and anytime someone lays out what is going to happen I just laugh. But then, I don't have a crystal ball.:)

I know all my plans are in the dumpster. All the work I had scheduled went away and I have to believe its not coming back. My clients are very well to do, and they are scared. When they are scared they hold on to their cash. So no motorcycle trip up to Hudson Bay for me, was going to leave next week. Beyond that I have not a clue.

I did enroll in a virtual economic conference that I always wanted to go to but could not afford, usually $4k plus costs, this year $400 in the comfort of my own home. Should be interesting, these are some big hitters and I am excited to be a part of it and it should help me figure out which way to duck.