PDA

View Full Version : More block planes?

steven c newman
04-22-2020, 9:38 PM
Seems that ever since the plane til was completed, there seems to be more block planes showing up...coming out of the woodwork? bad as Mice...:rolleyes:
One even brought it's own OEM box along...
Yes, both are that Maroon colour (called Cordovan)
And are Stanley No. 60-1/2 Low Angle block planes...one seems a tad newer than the other...
Also bringing along it's own box..
Box has numbers on the inside, too...
Plane is a Millers Falls 1455 Low Angle block plane....not the B model, either..
And, seems a relative came along..
Side is stamped as a Millers Falls No. 75
So, I guess I need to find a few places to put these?:confused:

Jim Matthews
04-22-2020, 9:53 PM
You did know that cast iron has magnetic properties?

Old Arn has even higher Hoardite crystal content and exerts the same field strength, over a larger area (measured in To-its). This is why a barn, or basement with hammers collects more hammers.

Jim Koepke
04-22-2020, 11:22 PM
This is why a barn, or basement with hammers collects more hammers.

People walk by with a hammer and think, "oh this must be where this belongs." :D

Pretty soon there is a growing pile of old hammers.

jtk

Andrew Pitonyak
04-23-2020, 8:46 PM
I got my sharpest block plane from you.... One of us made a deal that the other could not refuse, I do not remember exactly how it went down, but I came home with stuff. I had a mass sharpening party with Chris Hatchet, and one plane just really took to my sharpening method I guess. Chris could not stop shaving his arm with it.

Maybe you need to build a "block plane storage thingy". I figure if it has room for about 200 planes, then you only need to get rid of half your stock of block planes :D

Steve has some of the coolest stuff, just saying!