PDA

View Full Version : Cole Jaw Trouble

John P English
04-22-2020, 8:05 PM
I recently purchased a set of Nova cole jaws so I could re-turn bowl blanks. However, when I try to mount a bowl blank, as soon as I tighten the chuck the bowl lifts up slightly from the face of the jaws causing it to be askew. This happens in both contracting or expanding mode. I can't imagine this is the intended result. Is it possible I'm missing something? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

kevin nee
04-22-2020, 8:19 PM
I use these bowl mounting pins problem over.
Good luck,

Dave Keele
04-23-2020, 7:53 AM
Previous threads on this forum suggested buying the buffer kit below, as the ones that come with the jaws aren't the best. I did and have not had any problems with them.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-71078-Buffers-24Piece-Set/dp/B07HBPFKTQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=S52OTQHGS3J&dchild=1&keywords=teknatool+-+nova+6030+cole+jaw+buffer+accessory&qid=1587642215&sprefix=6030+nova%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-4

Forrest Forschmiedt
04-23-2020, 5:33 PM
Yup, when rough turning a green bowl, you're going to get warping and it's going to be tough to hold with just the Cole jaws.
I have three types of buffers that came with my Cole jaw kit. None will hold a warped bowl.
Also, they work best with a bit of a lip or a bowl with tapered sides. Straight sides will pop up.
I make sure when rough turning that I leave a generous tenon on the bowl bottom. After it's dry, bring up your tail stock to hold it against the cole chuck and recut your tenon so you can hold it like normal in the regular chuck jaws. Then you can true up the rim and final cut the bowl. The Cole jaws will then work as designed on the trued up rim and you can cut away the tenon and finish the bowl's bottom.