PDA

View Full Version : Stand mortiser recommendations

Dave Mount
04-22-2020, 6:26 PM
All--

Every machinery manufacturer seems to be having a sale and reduced shipping right now, and I'm thinking about taking the opportunity to purchase a stand mortiser. I've grown tired of router based mortising and I think I'm ready to at least find out that the grass isn't greener. I'm in the mode of buying equipment that won't end up wanting to upgrade later, so I was looking at stand models; even if I got a benchtop, I'd be setting it up in a permanent location in the shop so the space issue doesn't really matter. I don't do a ton of "other than right angle" mortising, but the tilt option doesn't seem to add much once you're into stand mortisers. The XY table is a big attraction, though someone recently posted here a Baleigh benchtop that has XY.

The Powermatic is cost competitive and would have been my initial thought, but I have read some reviews that weren't that flattering. Other options are Grizzly and Baleigh, though I haven't found a way to get a Baleigh here without some pretty steep shipping charges.

Recommendations? Others I should be considering?

http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/p/719t-mortiser-1hp-1ph-115-230v/1791264K
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Mortising-Machine-with-XY-Table-and-Stand/G0840
https://www.baileigh.com/tilting-mortising-machine-mc-1000tt

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

ChrisA Edwards
04-22-2020, 6:44 PM
What did you read that was negative about the Powermatic, just curious as I own one.

It's easy to setup and use and is repeatably accurate.

I have mine on a mobile base, so it comes out, when I need it, to an area where I have plenty of space either side of the table for long work pieces.

When I decided to buy a mortiser, I went backwards and forwards on a bench top or floor model. I came to the conclusion that I didn't have enough spare bench space to put a bench top unit in a position that allowed a long indeed and outfeed, i.e. left and right of the mortise drill.

So that was one of the main reasons to go with a floor standing unit.

I cut about 74 mortises in about 2 hours a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIJWNBAUtyk

roger wiegand
04-22-2020, 7:53 PM
An indexing table makes all the difference in the world. I have the General International, I'm not sure it's sold any more. Grizzly sells what looks to be a clone.

Brian Holcombe
04-22-2020, 10:07 PM
Old Arn is a winner in this category by a large margin. Column stiffness is hugely important on a mortiser.

William Chain
04-22-2020, 10:08 PM
I started with a benchtop Delta and did well with that. I had it on a cart, but wanted the x-y table capability. A used but great condition Powermatic floor standing 719N came along (no tilting table) and I jumped on it. Sold the bench Delta, and never looked back. Good power on the Powermatic, and with a mobile base it doesn’t take up any more space than the Delta did on its cart. Storage below too. The x-y table is great, holds setup once you get dialed in. I might add a riser to the mobile base later on. I’m 6’4” so the table is a touch low for me. Other than that, no regrets on the Powermatic. Not sure if the grizzly has multiple bushings, but that’s a good feature to fit different chisel setups. With both machines, chisel sharpening is the difference between a good day and a bad day. Go for it.

Jeff Bartley
04-23-2020, 8:48 AM
I will second Brian's recommendation about old 'arn. Definitely more work to find, transport, and (potentially) get running.....but it's worth it. And it could be less money.
I used a Fisch bench top mortiser for years and it always worked ok but after finding and setting up an Oliver 91D the difference is more than noticeable.
Whatever you land with don't overlook the necessity of preparing and keeping your chisels sharp!

Robert Engel
04-23-2020, 9:37 AM
I have an older model PM works fine.

The M1000 model would be a cheaper choice if tilting not a huge purchase factor.

Aren't they Made in USA? Because that would seal the deal for me!!

Jared Sankovich
04-23-2020, 9:56 AM
+3 on the old iron standing mortisers if you have space. They are big, heavy and rigid.

Also they are usually inexpensive (though locating one close is certainly not without some luck). My oliver 91d was less than the grizzly, needed nothing but a cleaning, and came with tooling.

brent stanley
04-23-2020, 10:20 AM
Yup, old iron is the way to go. I got a Wadkin MF chain/chisel, side by side for less the the Griz and Bailey with tooling and it's 10x the machine of either of those.

Keep looking one will show up.

B

Dave Mount
04-23-2020, 3:16 PM
Thanks all for the input. Old iron would be great, but mortisers are just not that common, at least anywhere near here.

For Chris, here is one of the negative reviews from this site: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?192454-Powermatic-719T-dissapointment (I didn't pay attention to the part about the bit diameter)

Others complained about plastic parts and flimsy stops (I'm not saying it's so, just repeating what I read). Of course, there aren't many machines out there than you can't find someone who has something negative to say.

I should probably wait until I can put hands on one, but all the price and shipping discounts right now have me wanting to pull the trigger.

Dave

ChrisA Edwards
04-23-2020, 4:17 PM
Well I read the original post and a few more, but you can usually find a bad post about any machine out there somewhere.

I've not experienced any of the issues reported and this post was from 2012, quite a while ago.

I'll agree, the stops are small, but are metal and they work. I started using the stops, when I did my first set of mortises, but found it more time consuming than necessary.

The carriage moves so smoothly, it's easy to micro adjust where your mortises stops and starts and as the mortise is usually hidden by the shoulder of the tenon, it doesn't need to be 1/128" precise.

Yes the carriage wheel handle are plastic, but there's no load on these as you use them to move the carriage left and right, so they are not stressed, pay attention as I do that in my video.

I'm very satisfied with my mortiser, if I found any issues with it, I would have informed you of these.

I have no dog in this game, just trying to give you my perspective on my experience with this tool.

So far, it's done everything I've expected of it, accurately and easily.

Andy D Jones
04-23-2020, 9:11 PM
The most serious problem mentioned with the 719T involved a failed key for the shaft/gear on the main operating handle. This key is subject to stress from pressing the chisel/bit into the workpiece. The stress can vary based on wood properties, desired speed, and chisel/bit sharpness as well as setup.

The other two choices the OP mentioned both appear to use set screws to secure the gear to the shaft.

I would MUCH rather have an appropriately designed key than a set screw for this application, since the key can (and may have in the reviewer's case) sacrifice itself to protect other, more expensive parts when stress is excessive. If not properly fitted, a key will likely fail at less than designed stress (which is often better than not failing at such stress). It is also possible the key was from substandard steel.

The 5x5x12 mm key is used with what appears to be a ~12 mm diameter shaft. A bigger key could leave insufficient shaft material to support it, and/or may not protect other parts in that subsystem (gear, rack, handle hub, etc.). 5x5 keystock (oversize for fitting, ~300 mm long) is readily available from multiple vendors online.

I have been looking at these mortisers myself. I have a specific application that requires mortises at a 30 angle (60 degrees to the mortised face). This is within the 0-35 degree table tilt range of the PM 719T, but is outside the +/- 25 degree column tilt or table tilt range of the other machines. Sure, I could fabricate an angled workpiece support, but if I purchase a machine with the complexity and cost of implementing tilting table and/or column, I'd rather it support my needs directly, or purchase a less complex and expensive machine, sans tilt capability.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Albert Lee
04-23-2020, 10:46 PM
If you reallywant to buy a mortiser that you wont regret later, I think a swing chisel mortiseis one of the best way to go.

I bought myselfa swing chisel mortiser and I never looked back. it capable of mortising a 1" x 5" x 4" deep in 1 stroke, between 15-30 seconds

Google MasterwoodOMB1V, I think Centauro has similar product, all made in Rimini, Italy.

Jim Andrew
04-24-2020, 8:28 AM
Have you considered a Grizzly horizontal slot mortiser? model G0846? Personally, that is what I would look at.