PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Finger Joint Jig

bill epstein
04-22-2020, 3:30 PM
Haven't made them in years so fashioned a new jig. The peg fit nice and tight in the kerf and was of a piece with the spacer. The result was joints I couldn't tap into place until I pared a few thou' from each kerf.

What did I do wrong?

John TenEyck
04-22-2020, 8:22 PM
If the fingers fit too tightly, then you need to move the spacer closer to the blade/bit.

John

Lee Schierer
04-22-2020, 8:57 PM
The slots and the pins need to be slightly different in size. Add a shim to your dado to cut slots a few thousand wider.

Bruce Wrenn
04-22-2020, 9:25 PM
If memory serves me correct, and it may not. (I have CRS.) William Ng does a video on box joints that well worth the time.

Thomas McCurnin
04-22-2020, 10:33 PM
Bruce is correct. Mr Ng’s video is amazing and he gets the joint within 4 thousandths of accuracy using a feeler gauge.

bill epstein
04-23-2020, 9:24 AM
If memory serves me correct, and it may not. (I have CRS.) William Ng does a video on box joints that well worth the time.

A very worthwhile video indeed. While paring one set of parts didn't take longer than his set-up, Mr. Ng's overall methods are a joy to watch and worthy of adoption. If I were to build a 6 drawer bureau, for example, I would certainly do just as he clearly explains.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Dave Mills
04-23-2020, 9:37 AM
I put a screw to the left of my jig, to act as a stop to allow micro adjustments when the fingers are too tight or too loose. Then I can use that on a test piece each time I reassemble the jig.