PDA

View Full Version : Some turning wood.....

Michael Stafford
12-26-2005, 10:15 AM
I was envious while reading Frank Pellow's thread in the general woodworking section. I did not receive a single tool or woodworking book or even an article of woodworking clothing. All I received was some wood....But what wood it is...This is some of the most incredible box turning stock I have ever seen that my son and wife collaborated on to get me for Christmas. My pictures do not do this wood justice. I only hope my skills do.

In the first picture from the top left is a piece of Camphor burl, under that is some Tasmanian Rose Myrtle Burl, followed by a piece of Bois de rose(a rosewood that I am unfamiliar with that has the most incredible red, purple and black grain); then a piece of Cocobolo and lastly a piece of droolingly delicious Curly bubinga that has to be seen to be appreciated.

In the second picture is three beautiful pieces of curly Big Leaf Maple and a nice box sized piece of Masur birch.

The third picture contains quite an assortment beginning with two incredible pieces of curly Shedua that no matter how I tried I could not get a good picture of the curl. Next is a great piece of colorful Goncalo alves next to a piece of Curly Tasmanian Myrtle.

The last picture contains one box sized piece and one bowl sized piece of Camphor burl. Both are just incredible in both color and figure. I can hardly wait to attack these in the shop.

So no tools but I received a most wonderful haul of wood. For that I am very thankful.

Andy Hoyt
12-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Oooh! Thanks. Gotta smoke?

Mike - Never knew that you were a gnurner. Haven't seen one of your kind in years. Thanks!

Keith Burns
12-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Totally excellent haul Mike:) :) . Can't wait to see some new boxes and who knows what else:D

Jim Ketron
12-26-2005, 10:57 AM
WOW thats some nice wood Mike!:eek: :eek:
Congrats on the wood haul cant wait to see what ya do with it!

Travis Stinson
12-26-2005, 11:07 AM
What a sweet haul!:D I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.

Jim Becker
12-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Raw materials are always a very welcome gift...and those are awesome, Big Mike! 'Can't wait to see what you transform them into...

Corey Hallagan
12-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Wow. really great looking stuff Mike! I can't wait to see what you do with these!

Corey

Bob Noles
12-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Mike,

Were you offering to trade some of that for tools? :D :eek: If so I'll be glad to help you out :rolleyes: You can ship me the shaving if you want.

WOW..... that is some fantastic look wood. I would just apply a finish and hang it on the wall. To pretty to mess with.

I think someone believes you are special :)

Robert Watsek
12-26-2005, 2:51 PM
Congrats on the wood haul Big Mike :)

Now then.........whats comming first out of that beautiful assortment :confused:

Like the others I cant wait to see :p :D

Bob

Dick Parr
12-26-2005, 7:55 PM
Very nice Mike, I can see some more beautiful boxes in the near future.

Nice haul Mike.

Sparky Paessler
12-26-2005, 8:19 PM
Wow that is some great wood! Can't wait to see what you turn from it.

Ernie Nyvall
12-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Great gloat Mike. I'm ready to see the boxes.:D

Ernie