PDA

View Full Version : New Years Woodworking Resolutions 2006

Mark Singer
12-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Well every year I ask this question...why should this year be any different:confused: I can't think of any reason...so I'll ask, it never hurts to ask...What are your 2006 Woodworking Resolutions? Now let me givee you a few ideas...cleaning the shop...making somethng that din't get done last year...buying that pice of equipment that you really want...taking a seminar with a great woodworker...or just sitting on that special part of your anatony and watching David Marks make an Asian inspired guilded toaster holder...It could be visiting a Creeker and staying with him (did I say that?) ...Or looking for an old piece of Pizza that fell behing your sanding station...(no that is not graded cheese) You may want to stop smoking or if you have an old bandsaw with an electrical problem, get it to stop smoking... You could cheat and look at last years resolutions...or even previous years...that is cheating ,but does not violate the terms of service....you may want to check the specific regulations in your state or workshop...
This is a very popular post so tell me (and the other wonderful Creekers)what you have in mind for 2006:rolleyes:

For the cheaters...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5641&highlight=years+resolutions

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15295&highlight=years+resolutions

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15293&highlight=years+resolutions

Frank Pellow
12-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey Mark, this sounds like a good idea. I don't recall seeing the thread in other years.

So, I am going to set a challenge for myself. In 2006 I will attempt to make at least one gift out of wood for every member of my "immediate" family, that is my wife, 2 daughters, 5 grandchildren, 2 sons in law, 1 sister, and 2 brothers.

Jim Becker
12-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Very simply, more time in the shop than I am getting now (zero...) and some nice projects that challenge me to learn something.

Bryan Somers
12-26-2005, 1:08 PM
To get started on the tool collection. To get to know you good folks better.

Mark Singer
12-26-2005, 7:23 PM
Please take your time...no hurry you have until the first of the year or longer...lets say by tax time we finish this up......If you were perfectly happy with 2005and it seems you were please don't respond...just keep keep'in on as they say...:p

Brian Austin
12-26-2005, 7:41 PM
Now that the shop is well stocked and I have no more excuses, it's time to start MAKING things. :D

So...my resolutions:

1. Buy less tools (that's going to be a difficult one).
2. Use up the wood pile.
3. Finish at least HALF of the list (set as of Dec. 31st).
4. Make Christmas presents SOONER than Dec. 20th. ;)

JayStPeter
12-26-2005, 8:24 PM
I had to laugh when I looked back at the old threads. I don't make resolutions, but have been setting forth what I planned for the years ahead.

For '04 I said:

My plans for the near future are:
1. To get my shop built. It's now an unfinished basement. I actually do have a house related goal here and that is to have it framed and drywalled by April 1.
2. Make some nice stuff and improve my skills. Particularly my neander skills.
3. Learn to deal with figured woods, including making and using my own resawn veneer.
4. Upgrade my tool collection (told you I have schemes) by specing my projects to require a new piece of equipment :)
5. Try my hand at spray finishing (relates to #4).

I did OK in '04. But, I said I would try my hand at spray finishing. Well, I just got the equipment , finish, and a project that just needs some final sanding before spraying. So, this year I will to learn to spray. I have made resawn veneer, but just playing around, so I haven't gotten to #3 yet.

For '05 I said:

... I spent all of my shop time and budget on the shop itself last year. This year, I plan to balance my time and budget between some real projects and finishing a few remaining major shop improvements (including a usable bench).

Well, I made a couple furniture pieces this year and not too much in the way of shop improvements, not bad. But, I did say I wanted to build a proper bench. I got a top from Bailey block and built a temporary pine base, so I started. For Christmas I got a vice. In '06, I plan to try and get that bench more functional. This includes the vice, dog holes, and a proper base.

Here's my list of plans for the year (and probably beyond):
1. Finish the kids beds (including learning to spray).
2. Get the bench useable.
3. become a better sharpener and get a better sharpening setup (stones)
4. Build at least one more piece for the house.
5. Finalize the design and start on a prototype for my ultimate jewelry box project (the one I was going to give my wife for mothers day a couple years ago). This could be the springboard project for making my own figured veneer.
6. Finally finish the dust collection piping in the shop and add some plywood/lumber storage.

With my 3rd due in two weeks, it'll be tough to get shop time. But, like I said, these are plans not resolutions.

OK, I lied ... I do have one new years resolution this year. My resolution is to make this the last child I father. It's all good ... but I'm done. It'll be a painful resolution for sure :eek: .

Jay

Jack Hogoboom
12-26-2005, 9:02 PM
Time for me to put up or shut up. I have all the tools, now I have to build something.

Here are my resolutions:

-- Actually use every new tool I bought in 2005

-- Use the veneer press I spent 15 hours building.

-- Build an outfeed table for my table saw.

-- Build a fence system for my CSMS.

-- Finish my wife's bookcases.

I'll take any one of these.

Jack

David Fried
12-26-2005, 9:03 PM
Have ten fingers in 2007.

Mark Singer
12-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Have ten fingers in 2007.

Amen!!! I like that one!

John Bailey
12-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Resolutions for 2006 are easy. First, I have to finish my shop. I'm getting closer and should be done early in 2006. Second, buy a bandsaw, planer and drill press. This will round out my shop and then I can start on projects. Since I sold my 9 kayaks and tailer to build the shop, my first project will be to build a cedar strip kayak. A kayak guide/instructor's got to have a boat, no? Second will be to start a 16' over-night daysailor. Along the way I'll be building work benches, storage cabinets, presents for next Christmas, and something special for the wife. All of these will be practice to improve my skills for the real project that all of this is leading to. That's what the picture is. I hope to get started on the backbone this year.

Happy New Year all!!:rolleyes:

John

Corey Hallagan
12-26-2005, 10:54 PM
In 2006, I plan on remodelling the kitchen. Not sure to what extent I will make cabinets for it but at least the island and the pantry's I will make. Also, since I am adding a mini lathe, I plan on learning how to do a little turning. I would like to get adapt at making pens and further my box making abilities. Lastly I need to drop a few pounds as this would help me overall healthwise outside the shop and inside the shop!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
12-26-2005, 11:15 PM
John.....I can see you speaking with Bob S. on the project you pictured.

I don't make resolutions but.......

There are 3 things I want to complete in the near future:

1. Finish my shop.....it's dragging out too long!

2. Make my first project in my new shop.....

3. Quit a 40 year old habit of smoking 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day. This one will be terribly difficult. I've even had a running partner (radiologist) gown and glove me up....went to the pathology lab ...held a cancerous lung in my 2 hands......That was 10 years ago and I don't know how many packs of cigarettes ago.......It's time!

Frank Hagan
12-26-2005, 11:38 PM
I had resolved to solve my dust problem in my shop this year, after getting too many sinus headaches from too few days in the shop.

And while on vacation, I got word that an unexpected year end bonus came through at work that will enable me to meet that goal early on this year. 2006 is already shaping up to be a good year!

Andy Hoyt
12-27-2005, 12:34 AM
I resolve to have the same work ethic as this guy.

Anyone recognize him?

John Bailey
12-27-2005, 6:50 AM
Why, that's Fred!! All I can say is he's got the smile of a happy, and fruitful, life. Hope I have that when I'm his age. Actually, I hope I still am at his age.

Is there a story here Andy?

John

Andy Hoyt
12-27-2005, 7:06 AM
Why, that's Fred!! All I can say is he's got the smile of a happy, and fruitful, life. Hope I have that when I'm his age. Actually, I hope I still am at his age.

Is there a story here Andy?

John

Yup. There sure is. But anyone can plainly see that he's Fred.

But, Fred who?

John Hart
12-27-2005, 7:09 AM
Even though I don't normally make a formal resolution, I do like the idea of a benchmark to see if I follow through....come this time next year. I make a lot of things that just end up in boxes in the basement. I want to do SOMETHING with all these things. If there is one slight imperfection, I will not show it, share it, sell it, or throw it away. I want to stop doing that. ;)

Karl Laustrup
12-27-2005, 7:20 AM
3. Quit a 40 year old habit of smoking 1 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day. This one will be terribly difficult. I've even had a running partner (radiologist) gown and glove me up....went to the pathology lab ...held a cancerous lung in my 2 hands......That was 10 years ago and I don't know how many packs of cigarettes ago.......It's time!

Ken, I think that the above should be project #1 for 2006. It's the toughest project you'll ever tackle, but the most satisfying you'll ever accomplish.

I will be starting year 9 on January 1st 2006 since I quit cold turkey. I smoked for 40 years and the last few was at 2 packs a day. It was difficult, especially the first few weeks. But, I was mentally prepared to quit, so that made it a lot easier.

Use whatever means available to help you quit, but QUIT. The sooner you quit the sooner your body will start healing itself.

OK done preaching now.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
12-27-2005, 7:25 AM
I hope to build some things for our new home. Lamps, tables, bedroom furniture, etc. I'm going to see how much of the above I can get done while the house is being built. Destruction and then construction will hopefully start the first week of January 2006.

Happy New Year!

Karl

Sparky Paessler
12-27-2005, 8:36 AM
Well let's see in 2006 I would like to

Get a woodburning pen to try on my turnings.
Do some Flatwork again (wait, is that the lathe calling to me.)
Turn enough bowls and HF to have some to sell next Christmas. (better start now)
Finish up the dust collection system.
Post more.

Matt Meiser
12-27-2005, 8:44 AM
1. Learn to spray and mostly convert to spray finishing.
2. Learn some more advanced techniques.
3. Do a couple "for profit" projects.
4. Continue to refine my shop.

Joe Breid
12-27-2005, 8:53 AM
1. Complete the Computer desk, library shelves that I have started.
2. Finish the reinstallation of the duct system. (I had to change the routings and hookups when I bought a Cabinet TS)
3. Buy a PM 3520 lathe.

Joe

Mark Singer
12-27-2005, 10:00 AM
I have been thinking and contemplating me resolutions...some are promises I made to SMC and got to busy to do last year....

1. Make a few chairs and document the construcion on SMC...maybe a sofa..(I promised this and got busy building the Balboa House)

2. Do a shop tour of my friend and guitar maker ,Kirk Sand (I promised this too)

3. Try do do shop tours of some of the fine woodworkers we have here in Laguna...That would be fun to see.

4. Try to keep my shop cleaner and safer...it is always got stuff on the floor...its amazing I am ok:confused: (This has been on my list every year)

5. Make room for a major piece of equipment that will be arriving soon...(I can't tell....I am under oath)

6. Do some moldings and instaltions at my daughters house...this is new...last year I layed the wood floor there and my knees still hurt...

I may add a few more...

Mike Hollingsworth
12-27-2005, 10:40 AM
John.....I can see you speaking with Bob S. on the project you pictured.

I don't make resolutions but.......

There are 3 things I want to complete in the near future:

1. Finish my shop.....it's dragging out too long!

2. Make my first project in my new shop.....

Ken
I'm three months into quitting after 35 years of smoking.
The doctors made it easy for me this year by removing part of my colon for an unrelated problem. It occurred to me that I just shouldn't expect the support and care that my family showed through my ordeal if I continue to smoke. We all went through a lot.
I want a cigarette every minute. I have to change all habits.
coffee and cigarette to coffee and no cigarette. car and cigarette to car and no cigarette. computer and cigarette to computer and no cigarette.
Still, when I do something I haven't done for three months I get the urge. I have to go to the tool store with no cigarette a few times to break that habit. It's like having a million habits. I have to break them one at a time.
Wish me luck.

My resolutions for 06?
Move my shop to smaller quarters
Install dust collection
renovate old/new bandsaw
router table
share all with SMC

Dennis Peacock
12-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Now that the shop is well stocked and I have no more excuses, it's time to start MAKING things. :D

So...my resolutions:

1. Buy less tools (that's going to be a difficult one).
2. Use up the wood pile.
3. Finish at least HALF of the list (set as of Dec. 31st).
4. Make Christmas presents SOONER than Dec. 20th. ;)

I'm with you Brian......:rolleyes: :D

Ed Breen
12-27-2005, 4:19 PM
Well Mark,
I don't have to stop and think about it!
I'm a "dropper" and I keep making piles of stuff on my bench. LOML has bought me large charcoal cooker covers to put over my machines so I can't pile on them.
This year I will finally, after many years, take the time to put the tool up when I finish with it.
Ed:o

Vaughn McMillan
12-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Not necessarily resolutions, but my goals (as I see them now) are:

1. Clear more junk out of the garage to gain more shop space.
2. Use that shop space to make stuff that can be sold for a profit.
3. Use that profit to fill the newly-created shop space with a few select tools...a jointer and drum sander are high on the list. Some type of DC beyond my Shop Vac would be good, too. I'm pretty well set up on the other main tools for now.
3. Find a way to afford the electrical upgrade the shop (and house) needs.
4. Continue to improve the quality and design integrity of my woodworking.
5. Build something bigger than a breadboard.

Keep in mind that when I received a belt sander from LOML last Christmas, I had no idea my lust for woodworking would grow to the extent it did in the last 7 or 8 months. So the goals I set now may or may not have any resemblance to reality at the end of 2006. A lot can happen in a year's time. ;)

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
12-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey John Bailey! Is that a Friendship sloop?

John Bailey
12-28-2005, 4:36 AM
Mike and Ken,

Hope you do well in your resolution to quit smoking. Don't be afraid to let us know how you're doing. It might help.

Ken,

We're going to hold you to that last one. Pictures are nice.

John

Dave Carey
12-28-2005, 3:44 PM
I'm going to learn how to keep my cutting tools sharp and put what I learn into practice. (Oh yeah, and lose 20 pounds!)

David Duke
12-28-2005, 7:12 PM
All this year I have been building things for others which is always nice and I still have a couple more project inline for my future grandson for next year but my goal/resolution for next year is to complete a couple of "for me" projects.
1. Mobile sharpening station so that when I need to sharpen chisels, planes I don't have to drag everything out, hopefully with it being convient to use this will make it so that I keep everything sharp.
2. Build an over the blade guard/dust collector for the TS.
3. KEEP THE SHOP CLEAN!!!

Mark Singer
12-31-2005, 9:34 PM
Be especially helpful to all SMC members during 2006 and wish them a Happy New Year!

Lets drink to all the great SMC members and even the other ones!:rolleyes:

John Hart
12-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Be especially helpful to all SMC members during 2006 and wish them a Happy New Year!

Lets drink to all the great SMC members and even the other ones!:rolleyes:

Here Here! Happy New Year Mark! :)

Mark Singer
12-31-2005, 10:21 PM
John,
We all know which group your in! But it is kind of fun to keep you guessing:confused:
Happy New Year! Your truly are a SMC Major 2005 addition! I really mean that and I haven't started drinking yet...well pocito...solementi pocito:confused:

Don Baer
12-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Happy New Year to all of my Saw Mill Creek Buds.

My New years resulution is to make more sawdust....:D

Yes I've allready started my imbibing..

Andy Hoyt
12-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Nouvelle Année Heureuse
Neues glückliches Jahr
Καλή χρονιά
С Новым годом
Feliz Año Nuevo
Nuovo Anno Felice
Happy New Year
Ano Novo Feliz

John Hart
12-31-2005, 10:38 PM
....Happy New Year! Your truly are a SMC Major 2005 addition! I really mean that and I haven't started drinking yet...

Maybe you should get to drinkin' heavily then!!! :D :D :D

Remember back when I joined? You were an inspiration, a guide, and you were always helpful....and many others as well. It's been a year for me to remember and SMC is a very significant part of that. I've made more friends here than I ever made out in the real world.....And these people are REAL!!
Thanks Mark!

....oh....and I haven't been drinking either!;)

Lee DeRaud
12-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I've made more friends here than I ever made out in the real world.....And these people are REAL!!(cough, cough)Normah Binti(cough, cough):eek:

And if I read that right, you're making imaginary friends in the real world?!? Turners are a strange lot, yes, yes they are...
:D :cool:

John Hart
12-31-2005, 10:52 PM
(cough, cough)Normah Binti(cough, cough):eek:

And if I read that right, you're making imaginary friends in the real world?!? Turners are a strange lot, yes, yes they are...
:D :cool:

You...you mean...Normah wasn't...wasn't real??? Oh man!!!:( :o :o :rolleyes: :D

Cecil Arnold
12-31-2005, 11:25 PM
Getting in just under the wire, I want to make more curls and finish some flat work that has been sitting for a year or so. I also want to wish everyone at SMC a HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2006, or 5766 depending on which calender you use.

John Bailey
01-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Hey Andy,

It's not a friendship sloop, and I'm not going to tell you what it is until I find out who Fred is. Or, did I miss something.

I know many of you have already celebrated New Year's. If I were home in MI I would have also. But, I'm in Chicago with about an hour left.

So Happy New Year to all Creekers and may you all have a great 2006.

John

Andy Hoyt
01-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Sorry John.

Fred Tuttle is the ultimate Man with a Plan (http://www.spreadfred.com/fred_tuttle/index.html); and my hero.

John Bailey
01-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Andy,

Some how I missed the saga of Fred. He sounds like a great old guy, and I'm sure, even without a plan, he could do better than our present politicians, both Demacrats and Republicans.

The boat is a George Buehler backyard boat building design call Juna. I'm sure Fred would approve.

John

Seth Poorman
01-01-2006, 12:53 AM
I think think this years 2006 Resolution is to make 2007 Resolution to stop buying tools !!!:D
CoooooooL I have a whole nother year.....hehehehe:D :D ;)

Seth Poorman
01-01-2006, 1:01 AM
ALL Creekers Have a Happy New Year ! ! :D

Bob Yarbrough
01-01-2006, 1:48 AM
Learn to turn bowls, vessels, hollow forms. Work on new jointry. Explore the hobby/passion.

Mark Singer
01-01-2006, 4:12 AM
OK I am still awake...amazing as that sounds...mucho Champagne....and Penfolds....wishing you , yours Dick Clark, I saw him on TV, and all the other Dicks big and small a Happy and Healthy New Year:rolleyes:

Michael Charles
01-01-2006, 6:24 AM
I am just now getting back to WWing. I am hoping to get my shop fixed up and buy a few tools so I can make a few projects for LOML. If I can get good enough she may let me try to make a bedroom suit for my 1 year old son. When I get some progress on the shop and start turning out a project or two I will post a few pics.

John Hart
01-01-2006, 8:23 AM
.....When I get some progress on the shop and start turning out a project or two I will post a few pics.

Welcome to the Creek Michael! Good luck in your quest...SMC is a great place to enhance your skills....And these folks LOVE to spend your money!!!!:rolleyes: :D

Dennis Peacock
01-01-2006, 8:32 AM
Mark,

For me? It's going to be improving my turning, try segmented turning for the 1st time, teach myself to do veneering, and make plans for a new 38" wide drum sander to replace the Performax 16/32.:D

Dennis Peacock
01-01-2006, 8:35 AM
You...you mean...Normah wasn't...wasn't real??? Oh man!!!:( :o :o :rolleyes: :D

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Tom Hamilton
01-01-2006, 8:50 AM
For this novice, it is trying something new: dovetails. The purists may shudder, but yesterday the Rockler dovetail jig followed me home. Between the $99 sale and the Christmas gift card I couldn't say no.

Class on using the jig is Jan 17, watch for pics on the 18th! :D

All the best to the Creekers in 06, Tom

Keith Outten
01-01-2006, 9:33 AM
Lets See,

I would like to have our Shop Tours module up and running this year, with all the bells and whistles :)

I would like to have our new and improved SMC Store online and well stocked with all the products that everyone has requested :)

I would really like to get our new front page designed for The Creek with links to the best of SMC plus all of the lists we are starting to host, woodworking articles and FreeStuff Drawings. Maybe Aaron will install the announcement module he designed a few years ago that is really cool.

While I am wishing I sure would like to get my workshop cleaned up...but I know it will never happen :)

Happy New Year to everyone here at The Creek...

Norman Hitt
01-02-2006, 6:25 PM
Since we have been out of town for most of the last two weeks, I guess this will have to be a very "Belated" Post......

May Everyone Have A Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year

About 20 years ago, I made only ONE Resolution, and that was to NEVER Make another New Year's Resolution, and I have never Broken that Resolution until now, Buuuuuuuuut......... I am going to break it just one time, for this coming year.

"I have Resolved", to Quit Trying to Single Handedly Support the Medical Community this year and GET MY SHOP WIRED for some Serious Ready Killowatt Useage, and then hopefully get the inside of the shop finished, AND build my Cyclone and Blower KIT. I'm absolutely Sick of Looking at those Ageing VIRGINS,:( (TOOLS, that is).:D