PDA

View Full Version : Bevel Cut and ZCI Question

Mike Gambone
04-21-2020, 7:11 PM
Relative newbie here, always owned a table saw, but some time back scored a unisaw 936-953), which is left tilt to expand this hobby. I've got it assembled and aligned and use the ZCI that i got with the saw, no issue here. Still need a splitter as it did not come with one, i've settled on the microjig bits for now.

However, I'll want to make some 45 degree bevel cuts and thought, I'll either make or buy an insert and cut slot, but blade does not lower far enough to allow insert to sit home.

I noticed the blade rises/lowers along the angle it is set at, so only issue is that the blade is not low enough at 45 degrees to put an insert on the saw. Searching around, it seems using a smaller blade, say from my circular saw to get the slot started, then put the 10" blade in and finish the slot.

So my question is, if the table is shifted on the cabinet, will that add the necessary clearance? I've got it aligned pretty well and don't want to move it, but will if I'm not really aligned like it should be.

Hope this makes sense.

I''ll also need a dado insert at some point, but that seems pretty straightforward.

As always, TIA for any help.

Mike

Jim Becker
04-21-2020, 7:35 PM
You can back cut the bottom of the insert to clear the blade when it's fully retracted...do it on a router table or with a dado set mounted on your saw so you can run it along the fence safely.

Lee Schierer
04-21-2020, 7:47 PM
You can relieve the underside of your insert a s Jim mentioned or you can use a smaller diameter blade. The problem with smaller diameter blades is their teeth are usually narrower than 10 inch blades so you may need to stack two together or use a spacer to offset the blade to make two cuts.

Mike Gambone
04-21-2020, 8:07 PM
Guys, thanks for quick info, I got it. I can either stack 2 circular saw blades or use the dado on my old saw since i haven't got rid of it yet.