PDA

View Full Version : Shop Compressor Recommendations

Joe Beaulieu
04-21-2020, 1:28 PM
Hey All,

I hope this question doesn't violate any forum policies. If it does I apologize.

Like many of us, I run my shop in my two car garage. Space and noise are a large concern. I have an old Dewalt air compressor but it is way too loud to use on anything but the largest needs.

I would like to replace that compressor with a new one, and make sound/noise the single largest criteria. Size is obviously a concern as well, but I believe most lower pressure/lower noise units are pretty small. I don't do much with a compressor, but if I had one that was quiet, I would like to use my fleet of nailers, and having air available to blow sawdust out of mortices etc. would be a big help.

So - what are you guys using, and how loud is it? I have looked at the California Air Compressor line and they seem great - but I would love some recommendations.

Thanks Folks

Joe

Mike Cutler
04-21-2020, 1:51 PM
Joe

It really depends on how much flow you need.
I have two air compressors from Rolair. I have the small portable JC10, 2.4cfm at 90psi, which you could set on the floor next to the kitchen table while eating and not have to raise your voice over. It will run a small nailer, but if you're using a framing nailer it will slow you down waiting for it.
I also have the Rolair,V5160PT03X. This is a 5HP 60 gallon vertical,17 cfm, at 90psi. It sits at the front of my garage, and if the window is open in the kitchen, I can hear it cycle. This is about 60'. My FEIN shop vac is louder than the compressor.
I can easily be in the garage with it when it cycles. Yeah, I can hear it, but it won't blast your ear drums out. My closest neighbor is probably 175' away, and you would have to be standing in his driveway listening for it, to hear it. Inside his house, he can't hear it. I know, I asked. I don't want to be ,"that neighbor". ;)

Stan Calow
04-21-2020, 2:05 PM
I have a California Air Tools compressor, I think the smallest one they make. It is very quiet, and my understanding is that their whole line was designed with quiet as a major criteria. The owners manual wasn't too great, but I'd get another if I needed a bigger one.

Brian Holcombe
04-21-2020, 2:13 PM
Joe,

Very happy with a Jun-Air cabinet style unit that I bought used.

Andrew Seemann
04-21-2020, 2:46 PM
I've got a PC pancake one and a couple old 1.5HP Craftsmans from the 1970s: the old belt driven, two cylinder, 240V, 30 gallon tanks ones. The old Craftsmans are much, much quieter. They are by no means silent, but they don't have that "Getting buzzed by a B-17" sound that the pancake does. I think it is because the RPMs are much lower. The pancake is much more portable.

Earl McLain
04-21-2020, 3:48 PM
California Air Tools 10 gallon since January. The 25 year-old HF it replaced was loud, but cheap. The CAT is actually quiet enough to talk around, and does what i need. I'm not a heavy user--but seems like it would keep up with one framing nailer if not a pair.
earl

Phillip Mitchell
04-21-2020, 9:29 PM
I have a Rolair JC10+ that I’ve used both in the shop and on the job site and it’s perfect for smaller to medium demand tasks. I wouldn’t nail off sheathing / plywood with it because I like it too much, but anything less than that it could likely handle. Any and all trim work / smaller nail guns, light framing, blow gun, etc.

It’s very compact (about 16 1/2” x 16 1/2” x ~15” tall) and extremely quiet when it cycles. Like, don’t even need to raise your voice when it interrupts your conversation quiet. It’s fairly easy and ergonomic to move around as well if needed.

This seems like a given and more of a concern that I’ve run into with cheapskates on job site / carpentry work, but a leaky air hose, fitting, or tool can really put a drain on the compressor that makes it cycle way more than it should. I like the 1/4” Flexzilla hoses because they don’t kink easily and have no memory when moving around with them or rolling them up.

John Beaver
04-21-2020, 10:09 PM
Another recommendation for California Air

Darcy Warner
04-21-2020, 10:15 PM
The Makita low rpm oiled units are great for the money.

I have a mac2400 I have abused for at least a decade, never changed the oil I first put in it or even really checked it for that matter. They are quiet and will keep up with multiple nail guns and doesn't seem to bother it to run for a longer time either.

Bill Dufour
04-21-2020, 11:32 PM
I would recommend a big old belt drive unit. But change the pulleys and run it around 900 rpm or less at no more then 100psi. check for mimimum rpm and go to that speed. Put a muffler on the intake.
Bil lD.

Rod Wolfy
04-22-2020, 1:20 AM
The Makita low rpm oiled units are great for the money.

I have a mac2400 I have abused for at least a decade, never changed the oil I first put in it or even really checked it for that matter. They are quiet and will keep up with multiple nail guns and doesn't seem to bother it to run for a longer time either.

+1

My buddy made a mobile base for mine. Nice and quiet. I run it off a HF air hose reel. Nice to throw in the trunk and go do a friend's deck. However, I've gone cordless on my brad nailer, as it's easier with no air hose to manage.

Thomas Canfield
04-22-2020, 9:29 AM
I bought an Industrial Air 30 gallon upright with oil lube 2 stage compression, 2 HP motor, 6.2 cfm at 40 psi and 5.3 cfm at 90 psi. I wanted the 220V motor to keep from overloading my 110V outlets. I run it in parallel with 2 HP vacuum unit since both will not usually run at same time and combined are only 16 amps on a 30amp circuit. The oil lube units are quieter than the non-lube and unit is bearable but does not run often with the 30 gallon tank. The vertical unit has wheels should I want to move it (not often) but with 220V it is not easy to move to a work area outside shop and I use hose to work outside shop. The water drain is better situated on bottom of tank than on the side of some of the pancake units to drain the tank (try tipping a pancake and see how much water is below the drain). I strongly suggest going with a 220V unit if available and it will work to not overload the 110V outlet circuits, otherwise a compressor will likely need a dedicated circuit for the larger 110V units.

Stan Calow
04-22-2020, 9:40 AM
I have the smallest California Air Tool compressor they make, and compared to my old Craftsman hotdog compressor, its more of a loud hum than a roar. For home/hobby use, I wouldn't look at anything else.

Stephen Bandirola
04-22-2020, 10:34 AM
I replaced my compressor with a 10 lb CO2 tank. You can buy a aluminum tank and regulator for around $200, I bought mine used from a Jeep enthusiast (they use them to air up tires on the trail) on craigslist for about $100. They have all the capacity you need for a home woodshop. I looked at a chart and a 10lb tank is good for 6000 brad nails or 1500 framing nails, also great for blowing out sawdust.
You get the tank refilled at any fire equipment dealer, welding gas supply, or soda machine company.
I pay $20 to get mine refilled.

Powertank is one commercial brand

Steve

michael langman
04-22-2020, 10:44 AM
I second the Makita big bore lube compressors. If I did not have my 60 gallon IR I would have gotten the Mac700, or the next size up. Energy consumption versus needs places it right in the middle versus too big or too small.

mreza Salav
04-22-2020, 11:01 AM
I have Rolair vt25big and it serves me fine. In can be rolled around if needed. Very strong for it's size, gets good reviews.
You can check the db rating of them for comparison.

Jim Dwight
04-22-2020, 11:53 AM
I use this little Senco in the shop:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Senco-1-Gal-1-2-HP-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-PC1010/100615090?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Compressors_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Compressors_PLA-71700000052227371-58700005026398229-92700052952925304&gclid=CjwKCAjw1v_0BRAkEiwALFkj5t-afkhAJIi0GvCiMUVG21QPto0hyad6PsSz_hL3xQv6Cg51sfcB9 BoCxXMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds. It easily drives my pinner or stapler. I have used it for my framing nailer and flooring nailer but would only do so for a very small job. One nail may drive the pressure too low for the second. So lots of waiting. It is nicely quiet and pretty inexpensive. I also keep a cordless Ryobi compressor in the shop but use it mainly for airing up car tires and that sort of thing. I've used it under the house too with an upholstrey stapler fastening up air ducts.

roger wiegand
04-22-2020, 2:08 PM
I have an even smaller Senco (https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010N-Finish-Portable-Compressor/dp/B01MG660X2) that I got when I needed one I could easily haul around. It's extremely quiet. It keeps up with a brad nailer, narrow crown stapler or finish nailer just fine. It will even run the framing nailer, but you have to stop and let it catch up every 4-5 nails. For a 5 minute job in the house or at a friend's place it's perfect. In the shop I'd want a bigger one, but this one fills a niche nicely for me. There's a stationary compressor in the shop and a portable Makita (https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC5200-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VPU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=makita+compressor&qid=1587578553&s=hi&sr=1-3) for bigger jobs, neither of those is quiet. I really like the Makita though, I think it actually produces more air than my cheap 60 gal stationary.

mreza Salav
04-22-2020, 2:15 PM
I have an even smaller Senco (https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010N-Finish-Portable-Compressor/dp/B01MG660X2) that I got when I needed one I could easily haul around. It's extremely quiet. It keeps up with a brad nailer, narrow crown stapler or finish nailer just fine. It will even run the framing nailer, but you have to stop and let it catch up every 4-5 nails. For a 5 minute job in the house or at a friend's place it's perfect. In the shop I'd want a bigger one, but this one fills a niche nicely for me. There's a stationary compressor in the shop and a portable Makita (https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC5200-Big-Bore-Compressor/dp/B0001Q2VPU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=makita+compressor&qid=1587578553&s=hi&sr=1-3) for bigger jobs, neither of those is quiet. I really like the Makita though, I think it actually produces more air than my cheap 60 gal stationary.

I think that Makita is almost identical to the Rolair one I mentioned above. Both very good units.

Andy D Jones
04-22-2020, 3:02 PM
I've had my 2HP 4.6 gal CAT compressor for a few years. Very quiet, with excellent performance for its size.

Very happy with it!

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Pete Costa
04-22-2020, 3:14 PM

I took a different route. I already had a pancake compressor for home repairs and construction. My shop needs for air were limited - just a few small gauge nails or staples every now and then. The pancake was more than adequate but stupid loud, esp. in the confined space. I really couldn't justify getting a quieter one (ok, I could try, but there was a lot of things ahead of it on the wish list). I ended up making this sound insulating box out of MDF (the density helps absorb the sound) and acoustic foam. Compressor fits snugly in the box on some rubber pads (to try and isolate vibration transmission to the box), but is easily removed with quick disconnects on the air and drain lines. Regulator and drain line valve are on the outside, so I don't need to open the box unless I want to remove the compressor for a job outside the shop.

The last pic shows the air circulation sound baffle. Although I didn't expect to draw heavily on the compressor, i didn't want to risk overheating the motor. There is a small exhaust fan (usually used for desktop computers) that pulls air through a baffle, into the bottom compressor section, and out the top and through another baffle. Both the baffles are lined with the acoustic foam. The outside switch feeds the interior plug, so the compressor can't run if the fan isn't also powered.

My iPhone sound meter app says i've got 70dB right next to the box when it's running, which (according to the always infallible internet) is similar to typical office noise or the inside of a car at 60 mph. I noticed a significant improvement from what it is running outside of the box, and am now easily able to hold a conversation or even think. The hole project was well under $100 and a few hours of my time. If I costed those hours, I'd have been better off getting a new, quiet compressor, but that wouldn't have been nearly as much fun. Wish I could take credit for the design, but it was heavily lifted from ideas I found elsewhere.

michael langman
04-22-2020, 3:22 PM
I use this little Senco in the shop:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Senco-1-Gal-1-2-HP-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-PC1010/100615090?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Compressors_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Compressors_PLA-71700000052227371-58700005026398229-92700052952925304&gclid=CjwKCAjw1v_0BRAkEiwALFkj5t-afkhAJIi0GvCiMUVG21QPto0hyad6PsSz_hL3xQv6Cg51sfcB9 BoCxXMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds. It easily drives my pinner or stapler. I have used it for my framing nailer and flooring nailer but would only do so for a very small job. One nail may drive the pressure too low for the second. So lots of waiting. It is nicely quiet and pretty inexpensive. I also keep a cordless Ryobi compressor in the shop but use it mainly for airing up car tires and that sort of thing. I've used it under the house too with an upholstrey stapler fastening up air ducts.

I bought the little Senco, Jim has shown, last winter, reconditioned, for the shop and filling tires. Use the bigger compressor in the garage.

Scott T Smith
04-23-2020, 11:53 PM
What I would suggest is to keep your old compressor in place, and plumb one of the quiet Rolair, CAT, or Makita compressors to it. You will benefit from the large storage tank on your existing compressor, as well as the quiet nature of the new one. If you haven’t already done so, put a ball valve on the discharge side of your existing compressor’s tank and shut it off when not in use. That will help prevent the need for the smaller, quiet compressor to run extensively filling the big tank on your old compressor.

Albert Lee
04-24-2020, 6:38 AM
If a space and noise is a concern, then try out Junair… small but expensive though,

I have a ChicagoPneumatics, 7.5KW/130gal/42cfm silenced piston compressor in my garage. It canhandle basically anything I throw at it.

When I bought Icould have bought a rotary screw compressor for slightly more money, but theservicing on the rotary is quite expensive. And conventional piston is veryeasy to service.

Alan Lightstone
04-24-2020, 8:26 AM
I bought one of the California Air units to replace my old 30gal Craftsman. The difference is between a hum and a chainsaw. Highly recommended.

joseph f merz
04-24-2020, 1:03 PM
my neighbor got a harbor frieght . very loud .sucks if he forgets to turn it off and comes on at night .loud and runs for ever .
i have a "california air" .quiet .not the quality of a makita or rolair . still it is quiet .i like it for going to clients homes ,when it runs home owners can go about there lives without being blasted with noise .mine has super recovery .home depot often seems to have the best prices .

Derek Arita
04-25-2020, 2:49 PM
I've purchased a few compressors over the years. My second to last one was a "5hp" 20gal single stage horizontal-type. After years of use, I finally retired it and purchased a Lowes Kobalt 60gal 11cfm 2 stage compressor. The footprint of this vertical compressor is smaller than the 20gal horizontal one that it replaced. So, not only did I get much greater cfm and 40gal more capactly, but the Cobalt compressor takes up less floor space and only cost me around $500. I got it so I could use it with a small sandblasting cabinet, but I do have other air tools that I can now use with it. So glad I switched to a vertical compressor.
By the way, this compressor is no louder than the much smaller 20gal compressor.

Mark W Pugh
04-25-2020, 9:13 PM
Can these compressor be stored in an outside building with no climate control? Meaning, freezing weather.