PDA

View Full Version : Bench Hook Supreme :)

Derek Cohen
04-20-2020, 1:28 AM
I thought it might be a nice idea to post a few fixtures for hand tools. Feel free to post yours here.

This is a bench hook I made. It is made from a few scraps, took all of 10 minutes to put together, and I consider it a consumable. That is, it will get used up and then thrown away. And I'll make another.

https://i.postimg.cc/MK314X2j/BH1a.jpg

The design for this one occurred to me several months ago, at a time when the bench hook I was then using, needed to be replaced as it was worn out.

What we have is a combination cutting board, chopping block, bench hook and shooting board - with extension ...

Before this version, the bench hook was available to chop tails ..

https://i.postimg.cc/XYdzsryb/12-1a.jpg

.. and through pins ...

https://i.postimg.cc/7hjKV4Hh/20a.jpg

In the recent video I posted, the new one was being cut up trimming blue tape ...

https://i.postimg.cc/MpW134GX/BH11a.jpg

This is not my main shooting board however, as this bench hook is on my bench all the time, it is convenient to use.

The runway with side fence fits the Veritas LA Jack ...

https://i.postimg.cc/Mpc18xq3/BH2a.jpg

It does not take any extra effort to ensure the fence is square, and so produce square ends ...

https://i.postimg.cc/Vk3nfTNf/BH3a.jpg

The fence is deepened to ensure that the kerf will guide the saw to perfectly square crosscuts ...

https://i.postimg.cc/QM15HbBp/BH4a.jpg

This is an 11" long blade and 14 tpi carcase saw I built. It leaves a good finish (looking closely, I can see that I have written notes to myself on the surface as well :) ) ...

https://i.postimg.cc/cC48kGFm/BH5a.jpg

Alternatively, just mark and saw to the line ...

https://i.postimg.cc/mD49MHMK/BH7a.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/RFTHTZLh/BH8a.jpg

The most useful fixture. It gets used on every build ...

https://i.postimg.cc/vTqxp2jd/BH10a.jpg

I've mentioned this to others, and they were horrified at the idea that I would deliberately destroy the bench hook, etc, etc (supreme! hah!) with chisels and saws. The whole idea is to make this bench hook as quickly and as efficiently as possible ... with spot-on accuracy for the shooting board thrown in. It must be cheap - using scraps - otherwise we will not see it as a consumable and feel comfortable chopping on it.

How to make:

1. flat board (pine, MDF, ply). I used a scrap of maple.

2. glue or screw another smaller piece on top to become the main platform. Leave space at one side for the runway.

3. Run the shooting plane down the runway against the platform. This will straighten it and also create a ledge for the sole of the plane to ride against.

4. Add the fence: use a little glue to attach a fence square to the runway. Align with a square. Keep the square against it until it dries. Once dried, you can add screws if you want. I don't bother. Note that I glued on a second fence section. I just did not have a thick enough piece.

5. Add the side fence: place the shooting plane on the runway at one end and position the side fence against it. Move the plane back-and-forth until the side fence is positioned. I screwed it down, which enables it to be moved, if necessary.

6. Add the kerf for sawing: mark the vertical and horizontal square lines across the fence, and saw this with the saw you plan to use (I saw the two lines at the same time. Or you could also use a knife to scribe the likes deeply to act as a kerf for the saws blade to run in). That will keep the kerf tight and prevent the saw from wandering in the cut. You could also clamp a square block against the fence to act as a guide to get this cut made accurately. It is worth the few extra seconds to get it square.

7. Lastly the extension: Plan ahead - make the board about 3" wider than you need, then take it to the table saw and rip a 3" strip from the side opposite the runway (no, I did not do this here - I wasn't planning ahead enough!). That will become the extension.

All this should take 10-15 minutes, tops. The bench hook should last several months. Don't be afraid to chop on it. Use it up! You can/will make another.

Regards from Perth

Derek

steven c newman
04-20-2020, 1:49 AM
A jig to use when chopping a mortise,,,or hold an assembly while you "assemble".

Just 3 pieces of scrap..
Mine just gets a couple screws to hold it in place. One could add a cleat that the vise could hold onto, instead,
I use a pair of Visegrips finger clamps to hold the part in place...clamp against the Pine "jaws"....
I can slide the part forward a bit, do the layout markings, then slide the part back into the jig, and chop away
For dry fits ..
Acts as a 3rd hand....and even during a glue up..
Jig is easy to build...a scrap of drawer side, and the two 1xs for the jaws....clamp the part and the two jaws into the vise ( custom fit each time, if needed) and add a couple screws to each jaw, by screwing down through the "base" of the jig.....just refresh the jaws as needed...in about 10 years, so far..I'm on my 5th set...

Mike Allen1010
04-20-2020, 2:03 AM
Derek, Super practical idea. Consider sand paper glued to bottom helps keep things from sliding around when over enthusiastic.

thanks for the reminder - probably about time for me to replace my bench hook too.

Mike

Derek Cohen
04-20-2020, 4:34 AM
Sandpaper! Good idea, Mike.

I generally hook it into my leg vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bill Carey
04-20-2020, 8:56 AM
I use these bench horses all the time. For glue ups, clamping odd shapes, raising the work up to my old eyes, assembly, etc. The drop into the dog holes on my bench.

Also have several of these neoprene covered blocks that keep my chisels safely in one place.

scott lipscomb
04-20-2020, 11:05 AM
Like it-think I'll make one, maybe today...thanks for sharing Derek!

John Makar
04-20-2020, 11:29 AM
I love my bench hook. Cheap, easy, I try out new things on each new release. Last version I got tired of T-Track and started using threaded inserts, which I love because I can screw on widgets, and new widgets happen weekly. The problem is bench hook adaptations take on a life of their own, and you stop making boxes and start making bench hook widgets. Put threaded inserts on a Moxon vise, and a black hole appears.

J. Greg Jones
04-20-2020, 12:54 PM
I have one fixture that provides three important functions at my bench. At my age, I need all the light I can get on the bench. I added a strip on the back of the bench similar to what Roubo shows in one of his benches, but instead of being used to hold chisels I made a bracket to hold my bench light. I stole this idea from Rob Cosman, and while my design differs somewhat from his, they function the same. I just slide the light back and forth on the rail to put light where I need it or to get it out of the way. It will lift off if I need to remove it entirely.

The light does double duty as a hex key holder for the small hex wrenches need to adjust the stop on the mouth of my block plane and one to adjust the countersink on my drill bits. Small rare earth magnets on the beam keep them within reach, when before I was always searching for the hex keys I needed.

The rail on the end of the bench makes a great spot to house my three most commonly used hacksaws. Lots of utility from this add-on! Nice topic Derek.

Jim Koepke
04-22-2020, 1:53 AM
They can be real handy when built in pairs or other multiples:

The one at the bottom of the image is my first one. It is over a decade old and close to needing replacement. It was made so either side could be used as a bench hook and a simple miter guide. The end was left for making cut offs to keep the saw from hitting the bench.

My father was the first to tell me about bench hooks. He didn't have a bench at the time. He used them on his side of his deck.

jtk

bill epstein
04-22-2020, 10:09 AM
I have one fixture that provides three important functions at my bench. At my age, I need all the light I can get on the bench. I added a strip on the back of the bench similar to what Roubo shows in one of his benches, but instead of being used to hold chisels I made a bracket to hold my bench light. I stole this idea from Rob Cosman, and while my design differs somewhat from his, they function the same. I just slide the light back and forth on the rail to put light where I need it or to get it out of the way. It will lift off if I need to remove it entirely.

The light does double duty as a hex key holder for the small hex wrenches need to adjust the stop on the mouth of my block plane and one to adjust the countersink on my drill bits. Small rare earth magnets on the beam keep them within reach, when before I was always searching for the hex keys I needed.

The rail on the end of the bench makes a great spot to house my three most commonly used hacksaws. Lots of utility from this add-on! Nice topic Derek.

That's brilliant! Stealing your idea right away.

Thomas Crawford
04-22-2020, 10:21 AM
I thought it might be a nice idea to post a few fixtures for hand tools. Feel free to post yours here.

7. Lastly the extension: Plan ahead - make the board about 3" wider than you need, then take it to the table saw and rip a 3" strip from the side opposite the runway (no, I did not do this here - I wasn't planning ahead enough!). That will become the extension.

I started making one last night and I don't know why I've never seen this piece of advice anywhere, certainly a time-saving method. I think I might have enough width to do this. Thanks!

bill epstein
04-25-2020, 10:01 AM
That's brilliant! Stealing your idea right away.

And I did, although quite a bit less lovely.

OK, more than a bit, but it works great, especially after I sanded and waxed the particle board tool tray that I have intended to replace with BB for some time.

J. Greg Jones
04-25-2020, 4:20 PM
Looks nice to me! Hope you find it useful.

Derek Cohen
04-25-2020, 7:50 PM
The problem with better light is that it lets you see all your mistakes .. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Steven Mikes
04-25-2020, 10:19 PM
Is chopping dovetails directly on the workbench bad form? It's what I've been doing so far, figured the work bench won't suffer in usability from a few chisel marks...

Derek Cohen
04-25-2020, 11:11 PM
Steven, it depends on the pride you have in your bench. It may speak to some about the organised way in which you approach your woodwork. That might translate into the pride you have in your builds, and the lengths you go to in the details. Lots of interpretations and assumptions here.

I would not damage my current bench (now 8 years old) - hence the thread on a bench hook - but my previous bench, which I had for nearly 20 years, was cobbled together. I looked after it, but the occasional bit of damage did not bother me. Eventually it was replaced, partly because I wanted something better for work holding, and partly because I believed my work deserved something better.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
04-25-2020, 11:33 PM
Is chopping dovetails directly on the workbench bad form? It's what I've been doing so far, figured the work bench won't suffer in usability from a few chisel marks...

When chopping my dovetails a piece of scrap was usually under the work to keep from marking my bench.

Now my dovetail waste is removed with a fret saw and a little paring.

jtk

Warren Mickley
04-26-2020, 9:40 AM

I chop dovetails directly over the bench. I may have used a piece of scrap when I was a beginner.

I use traditional chisels (long and thin) for chopping dovetails, which gives more control. I go halfway through from each side.

steven c newman
04-26-2020, 9:50 AM
Same here....a look at the latest build thread will prove that.
Start here, and
Flip over, and finish from the other face

Only on the 3/8" or thinner stock, do I use a scrap as a backer...

Derek Cohen
04-26-2020, 9:58 AM
I rest my case. :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

Warren Mickley
04-26-2020, 10:33 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

On your website you say "Frank Klausz is a doyen among woodworkers". I never heard a woodworker say that sort of thing, but I have seen videos of him chopping dovetails. He chops directly over the bench, which demonstrates some skill and confidence.

steven c newman
04-26-2020, 10:39 AM
And...practice ...lots of practice.

Derek Cohen
04-26-2020, 10:46 AM
On your website you say "Frank Klausz is a doyen among woodworkers". I never heard a woodworker say that sort of thing, but I have seen videos of him chopping dovetails. He chops directly over the bench, which demonstrates some skill and confidence.

You read my website, Warren? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Shea
04-26-2020, 10:59 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

LOL.... the best resting of a case ever!

Warren Mickley
04-26-2020, 11:03 AM
You read my website, Warren? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

I remembered your saying this. In order to get the quote right I googled Klausz doyen and got your website. I probably actually read it here on Sawmill Creek:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?279729-Workbench-height-and-width/page6

steven c newman
04-26-2020, 11:08 AM
Yep...the next Perry Mason......what was the name of the case? :D:D:D

Jim Koepke
04-26-2020, 1:38 PM
Yep...the next Perry Mason......what was the name of the case? :D:D:D

The Seductive Shooting Setup?

jtk

steven c newman
04-26-2020, 2:37 PM
The Case of the Irish Jig Maker?

I have two jigs I use....one is the mortise jig/clamp....the other is the Wooden Speed Square/ Router Guide/ Router Table Fence/ Tablesaw Fence/ Circular Saw Guide.....sorry, didn't have any Fancy, Exotic Wood to build it out of....Seems to have held up quite well....for the last decade or so...

Bench Hook..:confused:..either I use that speed square jig....or simply make the cut in the Stanley #358 Mitre Box.

Jim Koepke
04-26-2020, 3:25 PM
If a one is going to be working with molding a lot, it can be advantageous to make a shooting board that works from either side:

Working in angles is actually fairly easy > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?244777

My old shooting board was going to be set up for left handed work since my right shoulder occasionally suffers from an old bicycling injury. Whilst doing so it occurred to me it would be just as easy to make it an ambidextrous shooting board.

jtk

Derek Cohen
04-26-2020, 9:15 PM
The Case of the Irish Jig Maker?

I have two jigs I use....one is the mortise jig/clamp....the other is the Wooden Speed Square/ Router Guide/ Router Table Fence/ Tablesaw Fence/ Circular Saw Guide.....sorry, didn't have any Fancy, Exotic Wood to build it out of....Seems to have held up quite well....for the last decade or so...

Bench Hook..:confused:..either I use that speed square jig....or simply make the cut in the Stanley #358 Mitre Box.

Is there much difference between making a cut on a bench hook and making a cut on a mitre box?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
04-27-2020, 1:28 AM
Is there much difference between making a cut on a bench hook and making a cut on a mitre box?

Regards from Perth

Derek

The miter box guides the saw, the user just does the back and forth part. Mine gets set up when there are a lot of cuts at an angle. Straight right angle cuts are easier for me to just cut to the line.

jtk

Derek Cohen
04-27-2020, 1:51 AM
Jim, that is so, but that is not what I asked in my comment - it was not a question.

Restated: There is no difference making a cut on a bench hook and making a cut on a mitre box. Neither are completed free hand.

More bluntly: some here constantly tend to look down their noses at the work/methods of others. It is most wearying.

Regards from Perth

Derek

James Pallas
04-27-2020, 6:25 AM
I made this bench hook several years back. I forget why it was made but in my usual form I grabbed what was under the bench and put it together. I have always intended to refine it but it works well so haven’t done that yet. I have found that it works really well for half blinds. The angle let’s you see both lines standing up straight as I don’t bend well. The reversible angle is helpful also.

James Pallas
04-27-2020, 6:53 AM
Another handy device. Again I forget why I made this “shoulder vise”. It was made spare if the moment with what was under the bench. As usual I always intend to refine things later but they usually work well so no hurry.

Prashun Patel
04-27-2020, 9:25 AM
Derek, don't let em grind you down.

Your detailed pics and explanations are always welcome and inspiring to many.

I also understood your qualification of "supreme" with ":)", as if that required stating.

Howard Pollack
04-27-2020, 10:20 AM
I'm with Prashun. -Howard

Tony Zaffuto
04-27-2020, 11:44 AM
As a hobbyist, I am not under a deadline to finish a project! As such, as projects evolve (and they all do, once you start), if an "appliance" can help, I will build one. I have multiple copies of Robert Wearing's book "Making Woodworking Aids and Devices" laying around (original copies available used on Amazon, for shipping costs), with Wearing having solutions for most, if not all, problems we encounter. But as I said, this is a hobby for me and not a race.

If I were doing this for a living, such as Warren, I would definitely have different work habits.

Jim Koepke
04-27-2020, 1:43 PM
A bench hook can be useful for more than sawing:

Trimming a wedge is easier and safer using a bench hook.

Here is a more specialized bench hook:

The ramp on the hook is angled to have a dowel cut off roll onto the bench after being cut.

jtk