PDA

View Full Version : Laminating oak boards?

Mark W Pugh
04-19-2020, 9:18 PM
I need to laminate multiple white oak boards. Meaning, I need to take 4/4 and make it much wider. I plan on using epoxy, an outdoor project.

Are there any problems with the grain structure of oak and laminating boards together?

Thx

Andrew Seemann
04-19-2020, 11:34 PM
There should not be any problems with laminating white oak specifically. General caveats about lamination apply, regarding grain orientation, width of boards, that sort of thing. They will be intensified with exposure to the elements. You can have problems if you laminate vertical grain to flat grain (especially outdoors), but that can be a problem with any wood.

Same with the outdoors part. White oak is good outdoors, rot resistant and such, although it will turn grey with exposure from the weather. Some people like that look and can't wait for it to patina, some don't and fight it with spar varnish.

Mark W Pugh
04-20-2020, 12:08 AM
Thanks Andrew. I was thinking of sealing with penetration epoxy then covering with Epifanes top coat. Kinda treat it like boat parts and pieces. One table will be totally outside. Any problems?

Thx

Andrew Seemann
04-20-2020, 2:15 AM
I'm probably not the best person to answer about outdoor epoxy; hopefully one of our boat building people will chime in. I've built a lot of outdoor things, but it is nearly all utilitarian stuff like greenhouse benches or treated wood items that don't get finished (other than latex paint). If anything I'm more versed on what doesn't work outdoors than what does:)

Scott T Smith
04-24-2020, 12:09 AM
You say laminating, but you also mentioned making it wider. Laminating is typically done to make something thicker, not wider. Edge gluing would be used to make it wider.

Whichever route you go, be sure to finish all sides of the top with the same finish, same number of coats, etc. Being outside it will experience some significant changes in humidity, and if you don’t finish all sides it will cup.

Richard Coers
04-24-2020, 12:15 AM
Biggest concern for you is too much clamping pressure. It's much easier to starve a joint with epoxy than PVA glue. Epoxy is much stronger with a thicker glue line.

Frank Pratt
04-24-2020, 10:17 AM
Even with the CPES and Epiphanes, you need to accept that the tables will be maintenance intensive. There will be the need for complete stripping & refinishing every few years.

Mark W Pugh
04-25-2020, 9:30 PM
You say laminating, but you also mentioned making it wider. Laminating is typically done to make something thicker, not wider. Edge gluing would be used to make it wider.

Whichever route you go, be sure to finish all sides of the top with the same finish, same number of coats, etc. Being outside it will experience some significant changes in humidity, and if you don’t finish all sides it will cup.

That's what I meant, thicker. Thx for all the replies.