PDA

View Full Version : Cheap resaw capacity

Adam Payne1
04-19-2020, 7:20 PM
Hi everyone,

Looking for advice on how to get some relatively inexpensive resaw capacity. Right now I have an old craftsman bandsaw that can handle about 6” resaw. I’d like to be able to slice up small logs I pick up off of Craigslist so looking for ideas on getting 12” resaw capacity on the cheap.

I was hoping there might be some old/vintage bandsaws that have options to install riser blocks. Not really concerned about how well they handle curves or fine detail work. Any ideas?

Matt Day
04-19-2020, 7:21 PM
Yes, a chainsaw and an Alaskan mill.

Bill Space
04-19-2020, 7:41 PM
Not sure how practical your idea of turning logs into boards is.

Even a 10 inch log of any length will be difficult to manhandle through a standard bandsaw in a fashion that results in usable boards.

There is a reason small sawmills keep the log stationary and move the blade through it.

Think carefully about what you expect to accomplish. Not impossible, but more difficult as the diameter and length of the log increases.

Richard Coers
04-19-2020, 8:13 PM
If the only parameter is cheap, you could always set up a pit saw. You could get at least 2' of resaw capacity with the right saw.

glenn bradley
04-19-2020, 8:48 PM
Yes, a chainsaw and an Alaskan mill.

Ding, ding, ding. Seriously I believe that by the time you finish futzing around cobbling something together that will barely work you will be near you may not have built much more than excellent hindsight. The lumber yield from small logs will be suited for only certain things. If those things are what you are building then I would move ahead a bit more in this direction.

If you are looking to make lumber there are a lot of peripheral items and activity involved. Sort of like buying a cheap lathe or CNC, the other things involved in making them useful soon outweigh the original investment. Maybe you could give us an idea of what you are wanting to build out of the material. That may help with better suggestions.

Bill Dufour
04-19-2020, 9:47 PM
Any 14" delta knockoff with 6" riser block. You will need a longer arm bolt and a longer support for the upper blade guide. Of course you will also need a longer blade.
Bil lD

Peter Kelly
04-20-2020, 12:41 AM
Yes, a chainsaw and an Alaskan mill.Agreed though you'll need a minimum 60cc saw (preferably 70cc and up) w/20" bar and a rip chain.
The Granberg mini mill would work well. https://granberg.com/product/g777-alaskan-small-log-mill/?v=7516fd43adaa

Darcy Warner
04-20-2020, 1:47 AM
I bought a 36" tannewitz with 21" under the guides for 125 bucks once.

John K Jordan
04-20-2020, 7:00 AM
Hi everyone,

Looking for advice on how to get some relatively inexpensive resaw capacity. Right now I have an old craftsman bandsaw that can handle about 6” resaw. I’d like to be able to slice up small logs I pick up off of Craigslist so looking for ideas on getting 12” resaw capacity on the cheap.

I was hoping there might be some old/vintage bandsaws that have options to install riser blocks. Not really concerned about how well they handle curves or fine detail work. Any ideas?

Adam,

How long are the logs? How many?
And what is the typical diameter?

I agree that a bandsaw with a riser block will work, I used a Delta with riser for years for resawing boards and milling short logs up to 12" diameter and up to 3' or so in length - between the older Delta and my current 18" bandsaw I've sawn hundreds of short logs, mostly to make woodturning blanks. But there are some potential problems - besides the time invested to find the saw, find or make a riser and the guide extensions and guards, there are parts on many of those saws that simply won't stand up to the tension needed to resaw effectively with a wide blade. And to saw a longer log does take special considerations due to the weight and the fact that logs are rarely straight enough to work with easily. All this may not be worth it for just a few logs.

As for a chainsaw mill, that's a cheap way to go but has a serious drawback for small diameter logs - compared to a bandsaw the kerf is huge and will waste a large percentage of the wood. A chainsaw mill would be perfect, however, to square up a log to make a "cant" that could then be milled on a bandsaw, letting you slice up a log larger in diameter than the capacity of the bandsaw. The potential problems with longer and heavier logs remain.

How about finding someone local with a bandsaw mill? For example, I have a Woodmizer behind my barn and can easily cut small diameter logs logs if they are at least 4' long, shorter if I make a quick sacrificial fence. The kerf on a bandsaw mill blade is not much wider than that of a shop bandsaw. But someone who saws commercially may not want to work on small logs so finding someone who saws for personal use, hobby or fun, might be the key.

JKJ

Lee Schierer
04-20-2020, 8:10 AM
From a google search, it appears that many other brand riser blocks may fit your Craftsman saw (https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/riser-block-for-craftsman-bandsaw).

Rod Sheridan
04-20-2020, 8:32 AM
Although I have a band mill I still use a stationary band saw for log milling on occasion.

Generally in the 3 to 4 foot range, logs up to 24" in diameter by splitting them in half or quarters......Regards, Rod.

Chris Fournier
04-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Been there done that in a pinch and it is no fun and likely involves risk and failure. You want cheap re-sawing? Hire someone with a band mill to custom cut for you, that's cheap. I have cut thousands of board feet on a band mill for instrument grade wood and the cost to cut was always easily covered by the price of the product, It might not be the same trying to enjoy smaller "sentimental" logs being used for personal reasons...

Rod Sheridan
04-20-2020, 12:05 PM
Been there done that in a pinch and it is no fun and likely involves risk and failure. You want cheap re-sawing? Hire someone with a band mill to custom cut for you, that's cheap. I have cut thousands of board feet on a band mill for instrument grade wood and the cost to cut was always easily covered by the price of the product, It might not be the same trying to enjoy smaller "sentimental" logs being used for personal reasons...

Mine are all smaller sentimental logs, typically fruitwood or something similar from local tress.

Most of my furniture components are under 1 metre in length which makes this method ideal.

I agree if I have a lot of stuff to mill, or need larger pieces, I use my band mill however for the cost of some plywood for table extensions and a log carriage, it's hard to beat this method for small scale use......Rod.

Alex Zeller
04-20-2020, 1:31 PM
This is just from my personal experience (your results could be different). Every time I try to do something on the cheap it always costs a lot more than expected trying to make it work at an acceptable level. For example, a chainsaw mill. They work but you'll need a large saw and they are slow. Chances are you don't have one that big and will try to use what you have which will make it painfully slow. You could add a riser block possibly to your bandsaw (or a Delta 14") but it'll most likely expose other weaknesses in the saw (like motor not having the power needed making painfully slow and the limited amount of blade tension). Even old iron will most likely have HP issues as they usually came with smaller motors. I'm not trying to talk you out of trying, just trying to make sure your expectations are in line with what you will achieve and how much it'll cost.

Not knowing where you are or the details about your Craftsman I would say your best bet would be to find a used 14" cast iron saw with at least a 1.5 hp motor and plan on spending another $100 for a riser block. There's lots of 1 hp versions out there but I really think you will be looking into upgrading the motor. Location, of course, matters as used equipment is harder to find in certain places in the country.