PDA

View Full Version : Rkon 70-220VSR Controller Issue

Thomas Canfield
04-19-2020, 4:58 PM
Turning second little fresh Peach bowl about 7"D yesterday morning at 6:15 AM, the lathe stopped under load but then restarted. It shortly after that stopped again and will not restart. Unplugging for 15 minutes did not good. Lathe tries to start and get piece moving, but then stops and tachometer shows some speed start, blank, and then blinks a couple more times as it tries to start. Lathe is about 6 months old. Of course Rikon is closed until Monday morning but I sent a request for early call. Lathe had been performing very well and I am impressed. My guess is that this is a control box issue that might need to be replaced. Lathe spins free so no motor issue unless it could be broken brush on DC motor but that should have a drag associated.

Hope it is simple fix. Much easier to turn the small pieces on the midi than on the Powermatic 3520B. Have about 20 pieces of Peach wood that I am trying to save but it checks so fast that I need to get turned thin quick. Tried rough turning another time and not very good result.

Richard Coers
04-19-2020, 6:57 PM
What pulley were you using on the motor? Slow rpm with the belt on medium or high speed pulley really puts the heat into the control board. There could be something burnt out on that, or the potentiometer. Any smell around the control board?

Thomas Canfield
04-19-2020, 9:17 PM
Was in mid range at about 700 rpm. Turning good but cutting on end grain of long natural edge piece and got a catch stalling motor. This unit does not slip belt often. No smell noticed. Hope tech service has solution in morning.

Thomas Canfield
05-05-2020, 5:17 PM
Took a little time to get a new controller due to the shutdown situation. Received the new control box Saturday and made the easy installation (box held by 2 screws and complete with new power cord, motor cord with plug, and tach cord with plug). Had the lathe unbolted from stand and on back so longest time was standing it back up and bolting back down. Problem solved. Returned old controller to Rikon and hope to hear what they found caused failure. Sure missed the little lathe. It is so much easier to use for small items that the Powermatic 3520.