PDA

View Full Version : Aigner extension tables?

Jared Sankovich
04-19-2020, 10:08 AM
I'm looking to pick a few of these with a number of rails to mount them on various machines. Does anyone have a good source to order from. Scott Sargent in the UK has then for what seems like a good price, but once shipping is factored in it's not as great.

James Biddle
04-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Martin USA or Simantech are the suppliers in the USA that I know of.

Rod Sheridan
04-19-2020, 11:00 AM
Have a look at the Felder tables....

I have a couple of the short ones, and a longer one with the leg, use them on the saw, shaper, jointer..Rod

Peter Kelly
04-19-2020, 11:43 AM
https://www.elektrowerkzeug-shop.de/holzkraft/tischverlaengerung-ohne-queranschlag-ohne-befestigungsschiene/a-12442278/

Shipping to Eastern US is generally pretty reasonable from these guys. Very pleased with their service.

brent stanley
04-19-2020, 2:43 PM
I have one Jared and I'm not sure I would recommend it. It was not as well built as I was expecting.

Jared Sankovich
04-19-2020, 5:39 PM
I have one Jared and I'm not sure I would recommend it. It was not as well built as I was expecting.

That's disappointing. Anything specific about it lacking or just overall?

brent stanley
04-19-2020, 7:02 PM
That's disappointing. Anything specific about it lacking or just overall?

They're aluminium and mine came packaged poorly enough that it was mushroomed up on most corners and a few other places. This isn't anything inherently wrong with the device of course but I had to spend a long time flattening it out so it was actually flat....though see below. But if you tap the important plane against anything steel or cast iron it will deform and need filing down so you dont have a high and/or friction point. If it were made of steel or cast iron it wouldn't be portable of course so it's probably required but just so you know.

There's no dampening system on the leg at all, so it will swing as fast as gravity will take it and since there's no bumper at the end of its movement, it will deform what it runs into. It also doesn't have a lock for the stored/folded position so you always have to mind it when moving around. It does "lock" down though there's a ton of slop in that position. Mine is also not flat. Where the hook piece joins the main body of the table, there is a significant stair step where they need to be perfectly coplanar. Not a big deal if you are just using it for extending your bandsaw table or for an outfeed table for processing plywood or something, but if you want it for a jointer table extension or a shaper extension, it's a problem. It's tack welded together and they used a little too much heat in a few places and deformed the material. I may have gotten a lemon of course but I can send pics if you like.

It is very light and I think they could have made it from beefier material and incorporated some more features and it would still be very portable.

James Biddle
04-20-2020, 12:30 AM
Our experience is the opposite of Brents. Both are flat enough to use on any machine. We use it on shaper infeed/outfeed/side, jointer infeed/outfeed, bandsaw infeed/outfeed/side. You can also add the circle jig and shaper stops for added uses. They're light, strong, and easily adjusted. Brent's right about no lock in the up position, but that hasn't been an issue for us.

Brad Shipton
04-20-2020, 12:41 PM
I too quite like the Aigner tables. I use mine on the outfeed of my saw/shaper the most, but I have mounts for extensions on the J/P as well as the bandsaw. They are not as stiff as steel, but they are nice and light.

Warren Lake
04-20-2020, 12:49 PM
whats the landed cost with shipping and all

Jared Sankovich
04-20-2020, 1:53 PM
whats the landed cost with shipping and all

About $260 each if you buy 2 from Scott Sargent, with $90 of that being shipping

Rod Sheridan
04-20-2020, 2:34 PM
I too quite like the Aigner tables. I use mine on the outfeed of my saw/shaper the most, but I have mounts for extensions on the J/P as well as the bandsaw. They are not as stiff as steel, but they are nice and light.

That's my only complaint with the Felder extensions, they're a box aluminum extrusion with T slots, they are pretty heavy at 24 pounds.

https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/en-US/Shaping/Accessories/Additional-support/Alu-Table-extension-with-support-foot.html

Regards, Rod.

brent stanley
04-20-2020, 2:38 PM
That's my only complaint with the Felder extensions, they're a box aluminum extrusion with T slots, they are pretty heavy at 24 pounds.

https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/en-US/Shaping/Accessories/Additional-support/Alu-Table-extension-with-support-foot.html

Regards, Rod.

Rod are those levelling screws countersunk into the machine end of the extension table? if so that would be a very nice feature.

I can't see on there where it says how long those tables are.

Joe Calhoon
04-20-2020, 2:54 PM
I’ve used mine for 20 years with no issues. I’ve not used the Felder ones but they seem a heavier build. One thing I’ve noticed on Aigner extensions, mine and all I have seen have a slight bump on the leg ends that I think is caused by the welding. It’s not enough to have caused any issues even when used on the jointer. For the price I don’t expect jointer tables.
the leg locks in the down position and they are made to hang from the top when stored. I’ve not had issues with the height adjustment but a adjusting leveler on the bottom of the foot could be nice.

Patrick Walsh
04-20-2020, 5:44 PM
I also felt simular mostly with regard to the bum form the weld. I too expected more. But now in use for a number of years I gotta say I love them. And that bump doesn’t matter a crap as joe said even on the jointer.

I have the Felder one for the infeed of my jointer as the design of the machine requires you use a Felder table. It is much more heavy but honestly I see that as disadvantage and prefer the lighter build of the Aigner. Both have what is the equivalent of a kipp lever to tighten the adjustment related to height. I have in both on a few occasions when working with a very heavy piece of material had the leg slip. But honestly this was only because I didn’t tighten it enough.

The Felder unit does have a series of set screws and bits built into it so you can adjust it exactly for coplanar and height relative to your machine. This however is useless in the case of the Felder table as due to the flimsy leg the table twists along its length and the height at the table junctures ends up affected. Nothing’s perfect except maybe Martins built in extension tables. And even then the one on my jointer is not actually 100% perfect but it’s totally good enough to joint a board and it’s intended purpose. But it’s toattly not perfect. Yeah can you believe that, I couldnt! But some of this stuff you just gotta get over and get to work.

I’m actually gonna have a extension or outfeed table for my t75 out of 80/20 using and or adoption it to mount on a aigner mounting rail. Honestly the singer tables are very well thought out at least imop.. could they be a bit more beefy I suppose but how much do you really want to spend on them.

brent stanley
04-20-2020, 5:54 PM
I also felt simular mostly with regard to the bum form the weld. I too expected more. But now in use for a number of years I gotta say I love them. And that bump doesn’t matter a crap as joe said even on the jointer.

I have the Felder one for the infeed of my jointer as the design of the machine requires you use a Felder table. It is much more heavy but honestly I see that as disadvantage and prefer the lighter build of the Aigner. Both have what is the equivalent of a kipp lever to tighten the adjustment related to height. I have in both on a few occasions when working with a very heavy piece of material had the leg slip. But honestly this was only because I didn’t tighten it enough.

The Felder unit does have a series of set screws and bits built into it so you can adjust it exactly for coplanar and height relative to your machine. This however is useless in the case of the Felder table as due to the flimsy leg the table twists along its length and the height at the table junctures ends up affected. Nothing’s perfect except maybe Martins built in extension tables. And even then the one on my jointer is not actually 100% perfect but it’s totally good enough to joint a board and it’s intended purpose. But it’s toattly not perfect. Yeah can you believe that, I couldnt! But some of this stuff you just gotta get over and get to work.

I’m actually gonna have a extension or outfeed table for my t75 out of 80/20 using and or adoption it to mount on a aigner mounting rail. Honestly the singer tables are very well thought out at least imop.. could they be a bit more beefy I suppose but how much do you really want to spend on them.

Mine has the little bump where the foot is welded on too, but that's never presented a problem in practice. The little stair step in mine causes some drag against rough stock and is a pain.

Bummer about the Felder table twisting though. Does it lock onto the machine rail like the Aigner ones do?

Andy D Jones
04-20-2020, 6:39 PM
Rod are those leveling screws countersunk into the machine end of the extension table? if so that would be a very nice feature.

I can't see on there where it says how long those tables are.

That's interesting, because the first (leftmost) picture shows no such screw(s).

I will be receiving a short extension table (w/o support leg) with my A3-41, and I seem to recall seeing the installation/setup instructions for these. It is my understanding that the position of the mounting rail is adjusted during installation such that the extension table is even with the machine table.

The primary use for my short extension table will probably be on the planer outfeed, since the bed height is constantly adjusted for each pass. But I purchased the mounting rails (not included with the extension table) for both jointer outfeed and planer outfeed (same part#). The jointer infeed already has the same mounting rail, to which the front of the fence is attached (if the fence is far enough back, an extension table can be used there also).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

brent stanley
04-20-2020, 6:50 PM
That's interesting, because the first (leftmost) picture shows no such screw(s).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I noticed that too!

Patrick Walsh
04-20-2020, 6:53 PM
Nah totally different as it girth’s a round bar.

I can get a picture later if you like..

Mine has the little bump where the foot is welded on too, but that's never presented a problem in practice. The little stair step in mine causes some drag against rough stock and is a pain.

Bummer about the Felder table twisting though. Does it lock onto the machine rail like the Aigner ones do?

ChrisA Edwards
04-20-2020, 6:58 PM
I have the Felder short extension, permanently mounted on the outfeed of the planer and use the longer extension, where needed, on my Jointer.

https://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/ExtensionTable1_zps9whornec.jpg

https://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/ExtensionTable2_zpsooxd9tfr.jpg

Patrick Walsh
04-20-2020, 7:21 PM
I used to have one of the shorts like that on my old Felder shaper. It was actually pretty nice being all the adjustments and that it lacked the support leg as it didn’t need it being only like 12-18” long. Have one on the outfeed of my Felder planer and it’s very very very nice. Heads and shoulders over the Aigner. Not so much imop of their other extension tables. Wish all felders extension tables were as nice as the planer one as I’d have a shop full of them.

I have the Felder short extension, permanently mounted on the outfeed of the planer and use the longer extension, where needed, on my Jointer.

https://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/ExtensionTable1_zps9whornec.jpg

https://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/ExtensionTable2_zpsooxd9tfr.jpg

Erik Loza
04-21-2020, 9:52 AM
The Felders and Hammers are beefier and come in various widths and lengths, which is kind of nice, but I used the Aigners for years back in the Italian days and would have zero hesitation about recommending them. I've never had a complaint about the Hammer or Felder units, BTW.

Erik