PDA

View Full Version : A plug for April Wilkerson and Super Glue

bill epstein
04-19-2020, 9:05 AM
Self Quarantine has meant a lot of time to kill, some of it looking for worthwhile You Tube wood working vids. Most of those are 15 minutes of droning on and 5 minutes of actually showing something useful that, inevitably, after 60 years, I already know. Ms. Wilkerson is the exception, especially in this https://youtu.be/vYNSQR7LCC0 five minute vid of table saw jigs.

Yesterday, after completing the tasks for which I had the saw out, I decided to make the miter jig I'd seen in her video. I didn't really have a need for it but thought it would be interesting to try. The good news is that it works really well, the bad, it took less than 30 minutes which is where the Super Glue came in. With Activator, I just love the stuff.

I didn't have the Tite Bond Quick Set she used (never heard of it before) so used the Super Glue instead. In place of the usual cumbersome clamping involved in the sleds I'd made, it held the pieces perfectly, right through sawing the kerfs. Then, when all was done, screwed in place and trimmed, the excess was easily knocked off with a single hammer blow.

You can see that I used really scrappy scrap, but the results added a very worthwhile jig to my collection.

glenn bradley
04-19-2020, 10:54 AM
For applying troublesome trim or small parts I will use spots of DAP Rapidfuse along with regular glue. The CA acts as a sort of clamp while the PVA dries for pieces that are fussy to clamp in more typical ways. CA has a place in any workshop if we think outside the box a bit.