PDA

View Full Version : Saw Storage

Wes Bischel
12-25-2005, 9:26 PM
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but here it goes: What is the best/good way to store hand saws. I have seen some of the sawtill posted here and elsewhere, but was wondering if there is some other good way to store them, but in less space. I have found myself attracting more hand saws than I can store on the makeshift dowels where they reside now.:rolleyes:

Any examples or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wes

David Scarborough
12-26-2005, 12:03 AM
I have a 3' long carpenters box that I have modifed to add a saw till. Its nothing more than a couple of flat pieces of wood that I sawed a kerf into and glued into the bottom of the tool box itself. I simply set the saws into the tills vertically and "ready to go".

Hope this helps,

Dave S

Wes Harper
12-26-2005, 7:20 PM
The majority of mine are still packed up from my last move. For long term storage I nest the head-to-toe and try to wrap them individually with some news paper.

As for storing and actually using them, it seems that a till is hard to beat for both protection and access.

I have a couple of saws that I keep handy that float around. For them I made a guard from a square length of 5/4 pine, ripped a groove (yes, with electrons), and fixed a piece of a dowel to register into the handle. This protects the teeth and allows me to use the nib for what it was designed for IMHO, to secure a blade guard, you heard it here first.

Wes Bischel
12-28-2005, 9:43 PM
David, Wes,

Thanks for the input guys. Here's what I came up with. It's made from some cut offs of poplar and two cut off pieces of oak ply. A little glue and nails, screwed to the joists - voilą! There are some good things to being vertically challenged!

Thanks again, Wes

Steve Clardy
12-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Looks good:D :D :D

Derek Cohen
12-29-2005, 4:46 AM
David, Wes,

... Here's what I came up with. ...

Wes

That's a great idea. BUT I think you should put the saws in upside down - otherwise you will soon have several saw holders to your name! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hank Knight
12-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks. I needed that.
I've been looking for a good saw storage idea for a while. Your idea will work great in my shop.
Cheers!
Hank

Wes Harper
12-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Good idea to use your overhead space. I can't help but wonder if you are in your basement and space is at a premium. It helps to make the most of the real estate that you have to work with.

Watch your noodle or at least wear a hat!

harry strasil
12-31-2005, 2:35 PM
This is my hand saw storage while demoing and also a picture of me ripping an old oak 2 by 10. :)

Wes Bischel
12-31-2005, 5:27 PM
BUT I think you should put the saws in upside down - otherwise you will soon have several saw holders to your name! :)

:eek: :eek: :D :D

Actually most of the saws already have sleeves on them. And yes, every inch of space counts in my little hovel I call a shop.

Wes

Kevin French
01-01-2006, 2:58 PM
I found this bookcase carcass in the Dump at a time I was drawing plans to build one.

What erver you build don't build it for what you have now. Build with spare to spare

Steve Clardy
01-01-2006, 3:28 PM
Kevin. Looks GREAT!!!!

Doug Littlejohn
10-24-2007, 10:36 PM
This is my hand saw storage while demoing and also a picture of me ripping an old oak 2 by 10. :)

Hey Harry, what is that narrow inlcined becnh looking item and what is it used for ??

TIA.

harry strasil
10-25-2007, 4:30 AM
Doug, that is a 5 ft long jointer with a 4 inch blade, for edge jointing, the fence is 90° to the plane sole.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/jointerplane.jpg

Chuck Nickerson
10-25-2007, 10:07 PM
I love it. Just what my Wenzloff and Gramercy saws deserve.

Chuck Nickerson
10-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Did you make the 4" blade, or is there somewhere to buy one?

Kevin French
10-25-2007, 10:17 PM
The the Dump gives you glass doors who would question the uses of them?

The lighted interior may a BIT over the top, but it was also free.

If it's free, it's for me, I'll take THREE.

harry strasil
10-25-2007, 10:43 PM
chuck, the blade was a short piece of 3/8 thick, 4 inch wide truck spring I heated and straightened the curve, annealed, then ground the end square and with a normal plane blade taper, then hardened and tempered before honing.