PDA

View Full Version : Some recent additions to the arsenal

Jason Buresh
04-16-2020, 8:02 PM
Added a few new tools to the collection lately, a Stanley no7 and no8, also a no 45, and some clamps and layout stuff as well. Hope everyone is staying safe!

Stew Denton
04-17-2020, 11:22 AM
Jason,

Some really useful stuff. The Stanley 45 is ancient, probably made in the 1880s or 1890s, looks like a type 4, from as best as I can tell from the photo. If it is Japanned, then it is likely a type 3 or earlier, if is nickel plated then it is probably a type 4. Either way it is an extremely useful tool. From the looks of the container for the irons, which is behind the plane in the photo, you probably have a very nice selection of irons as well. Hope they are is as nice a shape as thee plane looks to be.

As you probably know from his builds, Steven uses a 45 a great deal, a very useful and popular combination plane. A tool collector I visited with knows a lot of really good woodworkers, and he advised that many of them have 45s and use them. They have that great ballance of being reasonably quick and easy to set up for a given job, and the flexibility to do several tasks.

You don't see a #8 Stanley Bailey that often, so that was a great find. You will probably use the #7 a lot more, but every now and then the 8 will be a better choice than the #7.

Everything you have there looks in excellent condition and stuff that will definately be useful. I don't see a single thing there that would not be something that I would use fairly often. The tape is one I would use for carpentry, but not necessarily for fine woodworking, and as a matter of fact I have one just like it from what I can see from the photo. (I have had mine for over 45 years I think.)

The only tool I am not sure about is the wooden plane, depending on the profile I would not know how often it would get used. I would certainly want to play with it though, if nothing else just to get some experience with using one of the old woodies.

At any rate, great job. A well deserved "Ya Did Good."

Stew

Jason Buresh
04-17-2020, 1:06 PM
Stew,

The tape won't really be used for fine woodworking, but I thought it was worth a dollar.

I forgot to point out the moulding plane, it is a beaded profile, which isn't a anything the 45 can't do but it's not as tricky to set up.

The 45 is a type 4. It doesn't have the adjuster but is a beautiful tool with all the patterns and details in the casting. It does have a full set of cutters, and all but one are in great shape.

The no 8 is a type 12, and even though there is a hole in the back some old timer probably drilled to hang it up, it's in nice shape.

The no 7 is a type 6 I think. It's old but in great shape.

The clamps are a old set of Jorgensen, and I bought them cheaper than you can buy new. Probably better quality too.

The little try square I think is from the late 1800's and not sure on the age of the marking gauge or bevel gauge.

Jim Koepke
04-17-2020, 2:11 PM
I forgot to point out the moulding plane, it is a beaded profile, which isn't a anything the 45 can't do but it's not as tricky to set up.

Jason, can you post an image of this plane's sole?

The 45 is a type 4. It doesn't have the adjuster but is a beautiful tool with all the patterns and details in the casting.

An old trick for use on wider boards or panels is to set the fence on so the rod riders are on the inside and the fence is on the outside. This increases the effective length between the blade and the fence's edge.

jtk

Jason Buresh
04-17-2020, 6:11 PM

Here you go Jim

Jim Koepke
04-17-2020, 6:45 PM

Here you go Jim

Thanks for the pic Jason.

That looks somewhat like an edge beading plane without the built in fence. Some beading planes have coves on both sides of the blade. That makes it is easy to create multiple side by side beads using the previous bead as a guide.

jtk