PDA

View Full Version : Let's clear the air

Michael Weber
04-16-2020, 1:55 PM
It's been clear and sunny the last few days here in a middling sized metropolitan area in western Arkansas. I've been dazzled when outside by the brightness. More than I remember. Almost painfully bright. Anyone else experienced this? Just wondering if this has anything to do with reduced air pollution. So after lunch we have decided to drive East an hour or so to visit Mount Magazine. It's a favorite place for us and I wouldn't mind my ashes being scattered near where we used to camp in the 70's. It's the tallest mountain between the Mississippi and Rockies. In the last 20 years or so I've been dissapointed at the amount of haze in the distance. Not sure if it was just something I never noticed before that. But we thought we would take a look and see if the current situation has made a difference. My wife who is much more social than I has cabin fever so maybe this will be a little respite. I'll report back.

Malcolm McLeod
04-16-2020, 2:08 PM
Contributing factor: air also tends to be very clear in areas of low barometric pressure (pilots in my family all swear by this). That twister outbreak was a 'Low' that cleaned the air.

And I'm sure 300K less operational businesses and 50M fewer commuters doesn't hurt either.

Kev Williams
04-16-2020, 2:34 PM
Probably a good time to check out the Grand Canyon...

Lee Schierer
04-16-2020, 6:10 PM
I've noticed the near total absence of contrails in the sky.

Michael Weber
04-16-2020, 7:37 PM
We're back. Wife had a lovely time as we meandered some back highways after leaving mt. Magazine. Sadly from the observation places there was still a lot of haze in the distance. Suppose it might have just been water. IDK. I was a metrologist but never a meteorologist :). Could have been wishful thinking but for some reason everything seemed closer than I recall it appearing including a lake I thought was further away. Also could see mountains behind mountains behind mountains. Something I don't remember either. But have to say it's possible I just never noticed. A good time anyway. Edited to say my weather app report the weather at a town nearby the humidity was only 23 percent and barometric pressure was 30.03 in Hg and air quality as good.

Ronald Blue
04-16-2020, 7:44 PM
Haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary here but other than high pollen counts there aren't any air quality issues. Although at the moment we are under a winter storm warning. That's really limiting visibility. Up to 11 inches possible.

Jon Fletcher
04-16-2020, 11:21 PM
The air here in California hasn't changed much but it's a lot quieter with the stay at home advice. I can actually here planes at higher altitudes that I normally don't here. I miss fishing in Arkansas.

Lee DeRaud
04-17-2020, 10:24 PM
Probably a good time to check out the Grand Canyon...Good luck with that: park completely closed as of 4/1.

(At least the Yavapai Lodge people refunded the deposit for my planned stay next month. :( )

Curt Harms
04-18-2020, 8:50 AM
I've noticed the near total absence of contrails in the sky.

There's a near total absence of airplanes. Airline flying is way down. I recently did a round trip and I'm certain the carrier lost money both ways. I doubt there were 40 people on a 150 seat airplane. One one trip there were 26 flights listed on the departures board. 15 of them were cancelled.

Lee DeRaud
04-18-2020, 11:46 AM
There's a near total absence of airplanes.More than made up for by the constant circling of PD helicopters over the local park, presumably looking for a group of more than four people having a picnic.