PDA

View Full Version : Rockler's curbside pickup could be better

Brian Elfert
04-15-2020, 7:52 PM
Rockler now offers curbside pickup, but it isn't exactly the easiest to use. One has to call the store with the item number and give them a credit card to pay for it. Not the worst thing in the world, but many companies who previously had no curbside pickup managed to add it to their website for online ordering.

I am just going to get the item from the store because I hate giving credit card numbers and such over the phone unless I have to. Heck, I have called places to ask a question about an item or stock status and then hung up and ordered on their website instead of a phone order.

Marc Jeske
04-18-2020, 5:46 AM
You must be a Young'un.

Us old guys often did phone orders w our CC before all this Interweb stuff.

In any case, I am very fussy who I do biz with... One specific thing is if you show no legit address, I'm not ordering from you.... Well, unless you are Amazon or Walmart or something like that.

Rockler started out years ago, IIRC "The Woodworker's Store", and may still have old blood.

edit - I see you show Mpls... I recall them being on Lyndale and 31'st ? (years ago), then moved to Ridgedale when the strip mall was built across west from the main Shop cntr. mid to late 70's (current location)

Holy crap !!! that was 45 years ago !!!!!!!!!!! Ridgedale still had ashtrays in the halls.

Marc

Dave Sabo
04-18-2020, 10:06 AM
One has to call the store with the item number and give them a credit card to pay for it.

Understandable when you consider that website orders are not fulfilled from your local or even nearest store. There is not a 'local pickup" option available as far as I know.

So, the fact that they've quickly added curbside service is commendable. That payment options don't fit with some folk's sensibilities is probably not even on their list of considerations. They probably don't take cash either, or will certainly frown upon it if you insist.

It's not as if you're dealing some fly by nite operation and giving your cc info to some call bank in India then hoping your stuff shows up in the mail. I agree that it's shortsighted in 2020 that a national company with an e-commerce site and bricks and mortar stores doesn't offer the ability to order online and collect locally. But I understand. Though national, they are a relatively small operation and my guess is that the amount of orders they deliver to addresses within 30-40 miles of a store location is pretty small. So, the cost of overhauling the website, inventory management, payment clearing, and fulfillment procedures has little hope of returning a profit.

Jamie Buxton
04-18-2020, 1:01 PM
Another good thing about calling the actual store where you want to pick up is that the guy on the other end of the line can go look at the shelf to do the stock check. Local stores don't have the amount of stock on hand which the big online warehouse has.

Richard Coers
04-18-2020, 2:01 PM
Giving a credit card number over the phone is pretty minor in these hard times, I'd be grateful for any service at all. What if they had shuttered the store, furloughed all the employees, or even closed the store for good? That grows more likely every single day. It's time to be thankful for the employees that are still working and helping you, and give them a nice tip for the effort. They are exposed to every single person that walks in the door!!!! Think about them and and make it easier for them! You have total protection with your transactions with a credit card. Those employees have to protect their health!

Myles Moran
04-18-2020, 6:35 PM
Honestly with all the consumer protections credit cards offer now I have no issue calling up to order over the phone. A debit card is a different story though. I don't have a rockler near me, but my local woodcraft has been amazing with all the curbside orders I've gotten from them. Super quick to come up with a solution that works and doesn't involve months of back-end IT development on their website.