PDA

View Full Version : Pen Blanks

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2005, 3:30 PM
Here are some pen blanks that I cut out of a walnut log and locust log. I cut the logs down to 1" X 11" X 2' lumber and the cut the blanks out of that. As soon as I get my 7 MM bit (first order they sent a 6 MM) Monday at Woodcraft I will be able to start turning pens. :D

Bob Noles
12-25-2005, 6:36 PM
Bernie,

Looks like you are ready... ready..... ready!

Those look like some good blanks to practice on. I'll be glad to send you some of my 2X4 pine for practice and you can save those :D

Clem Wixted
12-25-2005, 7:05 PM
...a 9/32 bit if you have one. It is a tiny bit larger than a 7mm. You probably should use epoxy for fast drying instead of CA. CA isn't a gap filler but epoxy and poly do fill a little. You could also use polyurethane but it might be better to let it cure overnight.

Clem

Corey Hallagan
12-25-2005, 7:52 PM
Looking good there Bernie! I think you are going to be a natural at this!!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2005, 8:09 PM
Thanks guys. I sent you both a e-mail. Clem I will be going to Denver tomorrow and straight to Woodcraft. Going to pick up the Wolverine Jig, a couple of grinding wheels and a couple of 7 MM bits. Next week I am going to turn some pens and try to turn some candle holders. The wife wants 3 of them in different heights. I told her they may be just straight bodies but she said so what. See what happens.

Clem Wixted
12-25-2005, 8:21 PM
... I told her they may be just straight bodies but she said so what. See what happens.

Bernie,

I find that straight bodies are pretty difficult for me to keep straight. If I put some "character" in the spindle the uneveness doesn't show as much.

Clem

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2005, 8:30 PM
I am going to try and see what happens. I just have to get on the lathe and practice.

Clem Wixted
12-25-2005, 8:54 PM
Practice makes better!

John Hart
12-25-2005, 9:05 PM
Yeah...I'm gonna practice a little right now! I spent the day cleaning the shop and it just don't feel right. Gotta mess it up a little:)

Chris Barton
12-25-2005, 9:24 PM
Turn the walnut first...

Gary DeWitt
12-25-2005, 9:32 PM
Hey, Bernie, how about some danish moderns? They're good starter projects, and they look like some design went into them.
These were done by a master, Rude Osolnik, just to give you an idea what I'm takling about. Very adaptable as to style and proportion.

<o:p></o:p>

Andy Hoyt
12-25-2005, 9:40 PM
Bernie Bernie Bernie - Suggest you forgo any attempt at making any pens until you've at least manufactured a minimum of three trash bag's (the big kind) worth of shavings from every possible piece of scrap lumber currently held in inventory. Then go buy more scrap lumber and perform a do over. Then do a pen, or two, or six thousand eight hundred fifty six.

Keith Christopher
12-27-2005, 5:29 PM
Bernie,

Take your time and turning pens is cake. Before you start just make sure you have the pieces correct and the bushings correct. Other than that it is simply removing the excess to get to the beauty that is trapped inside. I like to visualize what I want it to look like before I touch a tool to it. Once I start though, it's simply making it happen. But I would, if you haven't before test on some scrap wood before gluing up an the brass tubes into the blanks and going through a pen kit or two. Relax and enjoy, it's your work have fun with it.

Keith