PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Motor Upgrade

Jim Owens
04-15-2020, 1:20 PM
I'm in the process of refurbishing an early 1950's Delta "14 bandsaw. I purchased it with the intent of adding a riser block and using it primarily for resawing. It comes with the original 1/2 hp motor which I have read is inadequate for resawing. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1.5 hp motor with a 1720 rpm. Question, will I need to increase the size of the pulley which is presently 3 inches? Thanks.

Richard Coers
04-15-2020, 1:25 PM
You don't have the motor rpm and pulley data on the original motor? Physical mounting and drive pulley alignment could also be a major task.

Jim Owens
04-15-2020, 1:27 PM
The original motor is 1/2 hp and 1725 rpm.

David Kumm
04-15-2020, 3:05 PM
RPM is OK. Is the frame and shaft of the new motor the same as the old? Keep in mind that motor hp is only one limit to resaw ability. Dave

Erik Loza
04-15-2020, 4:32 PM
What Dave said: For the amount of $$$ you will probably put into installing bigger motor, I would actually put that toward a larger saw and keep the Delta for smaller tasks. Just my 20-cents and best of luck with it.

Erik

glenn bradley
04-15-2020, 4:36 PM
I'll chime in that I would also keep the old Delta as a solid 14" machine and buy a larger saw for resaw if that is your need.

Dave Zellers
04-15-2020, 6:46 PM
I'll chime in that I would also keep the old Delta as a solid 14" machine and buy a larger saw for resaw if that is your need.
I agree but most folks can't justify owning 2 bandsaws.

But if you can, it's the bomb. One with a re-saw blade, one with a 1/4" blade.

Mike Kees
04-15-2020, 11:50 PM

This one is a been there and done that for me. It will resaw ,slowly. But the motor and riser block are only part of the answer. The problem is trying to tension blades on that 14 cast iron bolted frame. If Resawing is your stated intention I would listen to advice already given and look for a bigger saw. I still have my Delta it is the expensive small saw in my shop with the riser block and bigger motor.

Lisa Starr
04-16-2020, 6:22 AM
I own a Rpckwell/Delta, so know your saw fairly well. It can't really tension blades well for resawing. You certainly can retro fit a larger motor, but I'd be somewhat concerned as to whether the rest of the saw can handle the additional power with out breaking things. Some Delta parts can be difficult/impossible to source and then you'll just have a broken band saw.

John K Jordan
04-16-2020, 7:19 AM
I own a Rpckwell/Delta, so know your saw fairly well. It can't really tension blades well for resawing. You certainly can retro fit a larger motor, but I'd be somewhat concerned as to whether the rest of the saw can handle the additional power with out breaking things. Some Delta parts can be difficult/impossible to source and then you'll just have a broken band saw.

I added a riser to my 14" Delta and used it for years to cut thick green wood and dry wood for turning blanks and did some 12" thick resawing. Worked fine but was not real fast. The bigger problem, as mentioned, is trying to tension a larger blade. (I use a Starrett tension gauge to set tension.) The saw simply won't properly tension as wide a blade as Delta claimed. It will just barely tension the 1/2" blades I use for thick wood. Even then, the tensioning bracket was eventually bent and destroyed and I had to replace it with a stronger bracket and spring from Iturra Design. (They carry a variety of things for the 14" Delta and Jet saws.) I think my saw is an 80s model, perhaps the older saws are stronger.d

I now use an 18" Rikon and save the Delta for less demanding things.

JKJ

Carroll Courtney
04-16-2020, 8:04 AM
I believe the pulley setup will be the same,regardless what size motor. Your shaft size will change so you will have to also change pulley for the motor, I have a 3/4hp on mine but I don't do resawing. I think that Delta just trying to up one on PM during those days and sell those risers knowing PM has the one piece frame. Like other member said give Ittura Design call,he sells HD tension springs that will make your project just a little easier to achieve. For the cost of one of those 18" BS you should be able to find good ole Delta/Rockwell 20" BS. Just have to be patient,which was always hard for me.

Jim Owens
04-16-2020, 9:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have a garage shop so two saws won't happen. I'll hold off on the 1.5 hp and wait for something a little smaller. Perhaps down the road I'll replace the saw with something newer and larger. This is my first Bandsaw so the rehab will be a good tutorial on how the saw operates.

Jim Becker
04-16-2020, 9:18 AM
There's no harm in upgrading the motor if you want to. You just need to have realistic expectations on what the saw can do (well) given its size and physical properties. Minor resawing (not big and going very slow) is certainly possible and folks with 14" saws do it all the time. But the sweet spot for these smaller saws is detail and scrolling work. You'll get a lot of utility out of that machine, even in its present state, for that reason.

Tom M King
04-16-2020, 9:59 AM
I have such an old Delta, that I put probably every upgrade there is on, including a new Baldor 1-1/2 hp motor. A few years later, Rikon came out with the 10-326, on sale then for 899. I have wished ever since then that I had not put all the money, and effort into that Delta. I didn't really learn anything other than it was a waste of time. It's still a flexible, cast iron 14" bandsaw, and even a little more flexible with the riser added.

I now have 4 bandsaws. That one, which keeps a 3/8" blade on it all the time. A 24" for resawing, and two 10" saws-one with a stabilizer and 1/8" blade. That 14" saw could have served the slot it holds now just like it was to start with.

Alex Zeller
04-16-2020, 1:56 PM
I had a Harbor Freight copy of that saw. I put a riser block and stiffer spring but they 3/4 HP motor really struggled with turning blanks. I had a spare 2 hp Lesson that turned at twice the speed. I figured since the HF saw had 4 speeds it wouldn't be an issue as I wouldn't use the fastest speeds. The problem was the belts would slip if pushed too hard. I replaced it with a larger saw (it doesn't really take up much more room) because it seamed like I would always be chasing (spending money) on the next weakest link. That Delta is a fine saw but it has limits.

Jim Owens
04-16-2020, 7:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your time and experience. To encapsulate, the Delta 890 design is a good saw but don't invest a lot of money trying to make it something it will never be. At this point I'm looking at it as my starter bandsaw and we'll see where that takes me. Again.....thanks.