PDA

View Full Version : Unloading 16" planer from storage container onto driveway?

Keith Miron
04-14-2020, 10:23 PM
Hi guys,

Finally moving into our new home, and I have one last tool I need to get down out of my portable storage container. I was able to get all my other tools out using a ramp, hand truck and the fact that almost everything was already on a mobile base.

Unfortunately I've hit a bit of a snag. I need to get my heavy 16" planer onto my driveway, and I can't really ask for help right now because of social distancing... Once it's on the driveway I can just wheel it into the garage as it's on a mobile base. It seems like it should be pretty straightforward to get it down the 3" to the ground, but I'm struggling a bit (and probably overthinking it)

Here's what I got:

The storage unit floor is off the ground about 3"
The 16" Laguna planer that weights about 560 lbs
The planer is already on a mobile base, but the wheels are pretty small (about 2" diameter)
We just moved to a new state, and social distancing insists that I try and do as much of this myself
I have 5' ramps, but I'm a little wary of trying to take this thing down the ramps by myself
I also have a heavy duty hand truck that can convert to be on 4 wheels. This one: http://www.milwaukeehandtrucks.com/details.php?model=30080S&x=40&y=21
The inside of the storage container does have a few anchor points, but I'm struggling to find a way to use them..

What are everyone's thoughts?

Picture of the planer to scale and the storage unit.

Picture of the inside of the storage unit:

Zachary Hoyt
04-14-2020, 10:33 PM
I'd use plywood sheets or scraps to make a sort of stepped ramp, so that the wheels never have to drop more than 1/2 or 3/4" at a time. That way it is also less likely to get away than if you used an actual sloped ramp by yourself.

Matt Day
04-14-2020, 10:42 PM
3” over 5’? If you had a 1” drop over a foot would you do it? Because you’re going a lot less than that. It’s a whopping 2.866 degree angle.

Paralysis by analysis.

Bill Dufour
04-14-2020, 11:37 PM
OTC shop crane with wheels. bigger then the standard cherry picker.
three inch thick cakes of ice set on the ground to make it level with inside floor. Push it out level and then stand back and use ESP to slowly melt the ice until it is down flat on the wet ground.
Bil lD

My OTC weighs double the standard big box version. The nonload caster wheels are the same size as their load wheels.
https://www.otctools.com/products/4400-lb-cap-heavy-duty-crane

mreza Salav
04-15-2020, 12:32 AM
I think you are over thinking this. If you want, you could easily build a ramp out of 2-3 lengths of 2x4 with a plywood screwed to top. Short of doing that I'd probably attempt doing the 3" drop 1" or so at a time by laying (flat) a few pieces of plywood (that's a small step and only 3 drops!)

Jim Becker
04-15-2020, 9:39 AM
I agree with others...just build a longer temporary ramp and roll it down. If you put some 2x4s along the edges, you can be less concerned about it running off the edges as you move it down the ramp. A gentle angle, as has been pointed out, should be manageable for rolling it down. If you do need to engage help, wear masks, keep the process short and immediately wash hands afterward. Wipe the machine down before you move it further. You should be fine.