PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Lathe Recommendations Please

Joe Hollis
04-14-2020, 6:10 PM
Hello,
I have never done any turning, but am considering the purchase of a small benchtop lathe to make tool handles, dowels, and perhaps the occasional bowl. I would be very grateful for any recommendations you may wish to offer as to what lathes would be worth considering for this application. I do not want to cheap out and buy an under-powered, flimsy tool that won't do anything well. Similarly, I am not primarily a wood turner, and don't need or expect the lathe to perform like the larger more serious full-size versions many of you may own. As a starting reference point, Lee Valley sell a Rikon Model 70-220VSR 12.5" x 20" 1 h.p. "Midi" lathe that is just under $1,000.00 Cdn. I've no idea whether a lathe like this is more a toy than a serious tool.

I have set a semi-flexible upper price limit of around $1500.00 Cdn. for the basic lathe, not including turning tools and other necessary accessories. I have under-bought tools before though, and don't want make that mistake again...

Thanks in advance for any advice you wish to offer.

Joe H.

Steve Eure
04-14-2020, 6:51 PM
I started out with the Rikon 70-220 VSR and would highly recommend it for a benchtop machine. It handled all that I put it through. I upgraded to a much larger lathe a year or so later, but still have the Rikon and still use it on small stuff. Nice machine. If I were in the market today, I would take a hard look at the Laguna 1216 also. I have it's larger brother and have been well pleased with that machine also. It has some nice features and is in the approximate price range of the Rikon.

Earl McLain
04-14-2020, 7:44 PM
I also have that Rikon 70-220 VSR, and also a Delta 46-460. The Rikon is definitely not a toy--and a 9" or 10" bowl is not a little piece of wood, so you could easily build some skill at 1/3 the cost of a "big lathe"--and make that step up later. If i ever do buy a bigger lathe, i'd probably keep the Rikon. I turn a fair number of pens & bottle stoppers, lately been doing some bowls...mostly up to about 7"...and gearing up to try some segmenting.

(the Delta is also a nice lathe, but the speed controller seems to be problematic--mine fluctuates up and down in speed so i've only been using it to buff/polish. Need to get it in for warranty work--or decide to find a way to bypass the controller and control from the outside)

earl

Thomas Canfield
04-14-2020, 10:08 PM
I bought a Rikon 70-220 back in October and highly recommend it. It is a solid machine if fastened down to a bench and I have turned several 12" pieces from raw chainsawed wood, not the store bought balanced wood. I really like the 3 -1/2" quill travel on tailstock and the strong frame and 1" post on tool rest. The variable speed range is OK but I would like a little more range in the mid range to eliminate some belt changes. I do use all three speed ranges, slow for the larger rough pieces, mid for most turnings, and high for pens. I have a Powermatic 3520B but will use the Rikon more often for smaller work.

Pat Scott
04-15-2020, 8:52 AM
Another vote for the Laguna 12/16. Normal price is $799 but if you wait for Laguna to have one of their frequent sales you can save 10% (the sale might be going on now?).

Our club just bought it's 2nd Laguna 12/16 for club classes. The Rockler store where we hold our classes replaced all of their classroom lathes with 12/16's also.

Prashun Patel
04-15-2020, 9:31 AM
I was going to counsel going larger. The ability to turn larger bowls or furniture legs is nice to have.

I see that the Laguna 12-16 has a bed extension and outboard turning capability to allow this.

I have the Laguna 18-36 and have been happy with the fit and finish.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-15-2020, 11:06 AM
Not sure if the Jet 12" midi is in your budget, but take a look at it. The new 10" I have not turned on, no idea if it still is underpowered. I have 2 Jet 10" lathes and a the Rikon 12" that you're looking at. They are all very much older. I prefer the build quality of the Jets over the Rikon.
That said, I do like the Rikon and no, it is not a toy. The new ones should be even better than the one I have. If you don't really plan to turn a bowl, I would look for a used Jet mini, you can get them for cheap. The reason I have 2 of them is, one popped up for 250 with tools and a chuck. Could not pass up the deal. Practice with the Mini and when you feel comfortable, buy a bigger lathe. But the old Jet mini is underpowered, for bowls. All my pens are turned on that.

Dave Jain
04-15-2020, 2:32 PM
I would stay away from Grizzly, customer service is question able.