PDA

View Full Version : Filling gaps in a seam/joint

Shawn Horley
04-14-2020, 6:01 PM
Greetings Folks.

I hope everyone is doing alright, and staying healthy.

What would you folks recommend for filling gaps in a seam that is going to be painted? My challenge is that I am want to ensure whatever filler I use takes the paint as similarly as possible to the wood. I have seen folks talking about simple wood filler, polyfilla, the Glue and sawdust mixture, and drywall compound... (so many options!)

So I am looking to ask the community for their feedback on this. I'll say right off that I know from personal experience that polyfilla does NOT take paint well so that one is already not an option for me.

Suggestions? Feedback?

Cheers

Shawn

Steve Eure
04-14-2020, 6:54 PM
I've heard of old timers using plaster as a filler. It takes paint well and is easy to work with.

Shawn Horley
04-14-2020, 7:08 PM
Hi Steve

Plaster hey? That's an interesting suggestion. I wonder how the sheen on that will compare to the wood? Does priming it make them come out the same? Hmmm.

Thanks for the response!

Phil Mueller
04-14-2020, 7:09 PM
Whatever you use, you might want to seal it with a bit of shellac. It’s what painters use to cover knots, etc. But the best thing is to just try some things on scrap and see what you like.

Shawn Horley
04-14-2020, 7:28 PM
Hi Phil

I am actually using BIN as the primer: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/zinsser-zinnser-bin-primer-946ml/1000123338
So I'm covered there!

Thanks for the advice!

Izzy Camire
04-14-2020, 7:47 PM
I would use spackle multiple coats with sanding on each coat until it becomes even with the surrounding surface then seal with Bin

Chris Fournier
04-14-2020, 8:22 PM
Depending on the joint and some other features of your work seasonal wood movement will likely squish your filler material out and you'll see it. My choice for filler under paint? Automotive body filler.

johnny means
04-14-2020, 8:38 PM
Use paintable caulk. It will show through, but won't crack.

Tony Joyce
04-14-2020, 8:41 PM
For paint Bondo or Durhams Rock Hard.

Richard Coers
04-14-2020, 8:54 PM
My technique to minimize filler showing in even stain grade is to mask on both sides of the mistake. That keeps the filler from going into wood pores on either side and it leaves it slightly proud of the surface to sand flush. Durhams is my recommendation also. But, you don't mention the size of the gap, so my choice is just a guess. Priming before the paint is imperative to get an equal sheen on any paint job. Paint work is 90% preparation.

lowell holmes
04-15-2020, 4:13 PM
I would experiment until I found what I was looking for. Maybe make a filler of sawdust and glue.

glenn bradley
04-15-2020, 4:46 PM
I'm leaning toward Phil's suggestion. Whatever you use, a good primer should provide a barrier coat and the paint should not be effected by the underlying material. Per haps the question should be "what primer should I use to hide different materials under a coat of paint?".

Shawn Horley
04-15-2020, 6:19 PM
Thanks everyone!
You've given me a lot of information to work with, and it is much appreciated!

lowell holmes
04-15-2020, 6:24 PM
Shawn, will you tell us what you decided on after you do it?

Bill McNiel
04-15-2020, 8:38 PM
Bondo for filling under paint.