PDA

View Full Version : Jet jpp-12hh Jointer Planer and SawStop Industrial Mobile Base

Charles Curtiss
04-14-2020, 5:27 PM
I am looking for someone to verify that a Jet jjp-12hh jointer/planer combo will fit on SawStop's industrial mobile base. I believe it will fit BUT I don't want to get it home and then find out that it doesn't fit. I'll have only one (easy) shot to bring the machine into the basement and put it directly on to the mobile base. I have a very tight shop and the SS base's 4 swivel casters would work best. (I have it on my SawStop PCS tablesaw and IMO it's the best mobile base out there).

As for the Jet jjp-12hh I have also looked at the Hammer a3-31. Some say it the Hammer is no brainer if cost isn't an issue. Some Jet owners say the Jet works quite well and can do all that Jet claims it can do, albeit not the same fit and finish of the Hammer and a dislike of the grooved table. I think I know what the Jet's limitations/issues are. I've seen enough videos on both. I'll be honest why I'm choosing the Jet. Both have had some occasional issues, probably maybe more with Jet. The main reason is that I have a Jet (and SawStop) dealer nearby. They will (and did on my SS) order it with no deposit. They will do a high level check when it arrives. They will deliver this 600# beast AND transport it along a tilted side yard and bring it into my rear walkout basement and shop and put it on the mobile base. In addition, they will my intermediary if I have issues. I know that issues will be most likely be handled directly with Jet, but it seems that often manufacturers don't send you repair parts but send an entire new unit. Having this dealer deliver one and maybe another one will be a big plus if that were to happen, as all my woodworking friends are in their 70's plus. If I bought a Hammer, beyond the cost, it will be shipped by freight who will drop it at the street <assuming they will unload it off the truck. Most likely I'll be on my own from there on, getting it in, on the base, and dealing with any issues. So the Jet and dealer are a big deal to me, and if it functions acceptably, then for all these reasons I'm leaning toward the Jet.

With that in mind, I'm still grateful if anyone thinks getting the Jet is a mistake.

PS: I currently have a Jet 6 inch jointer and a Dewalt 735 planer. The Jet was purchased with the helical head and I added the Byrd Shelix head to the Dewalt 735. Both work very well, but I'm anxious for a larger jointer.

Thanks to all in advance
Charlie

Lewis Justis
04-15-2020, 7:52 AM
I have the Jet JJP 12HH in a PortAMate PM3500 mobile base. This base handles the weight of the machine well, is easy to move, and is completely stable when locked down. I have had the Jet since 2014 and have not had any problems with it. The initial tuning took 3-4 hours with a straight edge and feeler gauges, but has remained where I set it since then. It is just me using it in my hobbyist shop, so I always swing the table up and let it down carefully. I bought it to free up some floor space, replacing a Powermatic 8" jointer and a 15" Delta planer, and the upgrade to a helical head. When new, I did lightly sand the table just to knock down the edges of the ridges. If I did it again, I would probably get the Hammer A3-41 with the extra 4" of capacity. Given your reasoning, I would go with the Jet too.

David L Morse
04-15-2020, 9:32 AM
The Shop Fox mobile base I have for mine is set to 22"x20". The 22" dimension is along the length of the machine, that is, parallel to the feed direction.

Charles Curtiss
04-15-2020, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the advice!

Andy D Jones
04-15-2020, 3:12 PM
The SS ICS base is made just for their saws, as far as I can tell. It does not appear to be adjustable to fit other sized machines (besides their PCS, and I'm not sure it has to be adjusted for that).

The Porta Mate PM3550 also has four swivel casters, and sets down on adjustable feet when demobilized. It does not have hydraulics to raise/lower the machine, like the SS ICS base has.

The local (Dallas) Felder guys recommended the 3550 for the Hammer A3-41, since it can roll in any direction, unlike the Hammer mobility kit which has to be steered to roll where you want it (two fixed wheels, one pivoting caster). In my shop, the machine will need to be rolled out lengthwise (like my other machines) so the Hammer mobility kit would not have worked at all for me. The PM3500 (two fixed wheels, two casters) can be assembled to roll in either direction (lengthwise or width-wise, but not both), but still has to be "steered" to roll in the other direction.

Unfortunately, delivery of my A3-41 is delayed while the Austrian factory is shut down for COVID-19. Absence makes my heart grow fonder...

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Charles Curtiss
04-16-2020, 12:50 PM
Thanks Andy for your info and insight. A while ago I had seen a video on the Jet on youtube. That person said he had used the SS ICS on the Jet JJP-12HH and said it <just> fit, but fitted and worked great. I was looking to getting a second opinion just to be safe. I do really like the SS ICS on my tablesaw. HOWEVER, thank you for directing me to the PM3550. I had searched for mobile bases and never saw this model- only the PM 3500 which as 2 fixed wheels. With the PM 3550 there is no issues on whether it fits AND 4 swiveling casters is great.. just what I needed. The best news is that it's 1/2 the price of the SS ICS. I can live with having to unlock all the levers to move it around. Plus, if I've understood the video of the PM3550l, in the demo it "appears" that they leave the rear levers against the wall engaged and just engage the front casters to move it about, leaving the rear casters engaged. Anyway, thank you again and good luck with your A3-41! A beautiful piece of equipment!

Keith Pitman
04-17-2020, 4:05 PM
There is an old thread on here about adding casters to each corner. That’s what I did. It works much better than the Shop Fox mobile base I had on the JJP originally. I think the machine is too heavy for that base. Sorry I don’t have the link to that thread, but you can find it with some diligent searching. If you are interested, PM me and I’ll see if I can find the info on the casters I bought.