PDA

View Full Version : JET 20” vs GRIZZLY 19” BANDSAW

Bernie Kopfer
04-14-2020, 4:12 PM
Presently I can get the Jet for 1650 and the Grizzly for 1710. The jet has 8” more Resaw height. Not that important to me. But the Grizzly has an electronic brake vs nothing on the Jet. Otherwise not much difference. The issues of quality and durability are the most important to me. And are the guides similar? Any opinions and experiences will be appreciated. Biases accepted also 😏

Alex Zeller
04-14-2020, 6:40 PM
I have the foot brake 19" Grizzly (can't help you with the Jet). The only issues I have with it was the urethane wheels were bad from the factory. I didn't bother calling Grizzly to have them send new ones. I just bought some Blue Max (I think). Once replaced I can balance a nickle on edge and start, run, and stop the saw. I can do a dime but the floor is not level enough and it wanted to roll off the table. The other issue is the fence. More specifically the handle. When unlocked it's in the way of the wood. It's not hard to modify but it's a design oversight. That being said the trunion/ rack and pinion table tilt is rock solid. I've never actually tilted the table but I have had some super heavy wood blanks for wood turning on it and it just feels solid. There's times when I think the extra resaw height might be nice but I've never needed more than about 10".

Richard Coers
04-14-2020, 9:04 PM
If that Jet is new, doesn't it have a 5 years warranty? 8" is a ton of more capacity, way better resale with that resaw height. I have a brake on my MM16 saw, have yet to use it. Haven't had a bandsaw with a brake for my 48 years of woodworking, still don't need it.

Jim Becker
04-15-2020, 9:26 AM
I do occasionally use the foot brake on my MM16 (and on a friend's MM20) when stopping the blade faster is good for safety after completing some kinds of cuts. That said, I'd likely go for the larger capacity in this choice. Why? Because the extra height, even if it's not used much for cutting, provides a clearer view and more headroom for working with the tool.

Zachary Hoyt
04-15-2020, 9:52 AM
I can see times when a brake would be handy, when I've completed a cut and need to tilt or untilt the table before making the next cut. I've never had a saw with a brake, so I just set the workpiece down and go and do something else for a minute or so, and when I come back the saw has stopped. I always have tools and scraps lying around that need to be put where they belong, and vacumming that should be done, so there is never any lack of 1 minute jobs to stay busy with in my shop.

glenn bradley
04-15-2020, 10:10 AM
Which models Jet are we talking about? I'm not finding a Jet 20" with 20" of resaw compared to the Grizzly's 12". I'm in the camp where music systems, cars and bandsaws all benefit from more power. That being said, the difference in mass between a 19" and 20" machine would be small with all else being equal.

I have had no issues with either my Grizzly or my Jet tools. Both seem about the same level as far as build quality. I think it would come down to features that were important to me in order to break the tie.

Prashun Patel
04-15-2020, 11:20 AM
I agree with Alex on his points. I own the G5014x2. Foot brake is nice.
My tires got gouged during a blade break. I replaced my tires with blue urethane and they've been fine since.
The bearings have been fine.

The table is nice and heavy. I have tilted the table often and it is great for heavy wood blanks.

I also agree about the fence. The aluminum resaw fence is nice to be able to reposition for low and high ops. But mine is not quite square, and I have always had to shim it to get it close to parellel to the blade.. Never quite got it right.

It's a fine saw.

Bernie Kopfer
04-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Glen you are so right. My error, the Jet resaw is 16” not 20” ! Jim you have a good point about the more height the better the view. Since the Jet is being sold by a reseller of scratched and dented powermatic and jet tools there is no warranty other than their 90 day seller warranty. I’ve got a couple more days so will wait and see if any Jet owners respond.

Jamie Buxton
04-15-2020, 5:35 PM
I’d be cautious of a saw with essentially no warantee. You don’t know how it fetched up at a used-equipment dealer. Maybe it is just scratches and dents, but maybe there’s more wrong with the saw. Given that the Jet and the Grizzly are pretty similar in specs, I’d take the Grizzly for fewer worries.

Lisa Starr
04-16-2020, 6:31 AM
I'd take the Griz. I own some "refurbished/2nds tools" and they've been fine, but I don't think I'd take my chances with something like a band saw. Grizzly usually has good customer service, so if the saw should have a problem, you'll be able to get a resolution. They've gone so far as to just send me a new tool and have me dispose of the defective one, no questions asked.

Rod Wolfy
04-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Glen you are so right. My error, the Jet resaw is 16” not 20” ! Jim you have a good point about the more height the better the view. Since the Jet is being sold by a reseller of scratched and dented powermatic and jet tools there is no warranty other than their 90 day seller warranty. I’ve got a couple more days so will wait and see if any Jet owners respond.

Bernie, If you're talking about Auburn Tools, they're great. I've purchased several tools from them. They get the stuff directly from the Jet/Powermatic warehouse and then tune them up.

As far as the bandsaw, I was in the same market about three weeks ago. I went to Bellingham and looked at the Grizzly in person. The resaw was only 12" on the 19" Grizzly, but I actually wanted the bigger motor and got a 21" 5hp shipped to me (which had 14.5" resaw). I don't resaw much, but the extra throat depth is sometimes more important. The biggest factor to me was the weight and the fact of a blade brake. I used to have a 20" Aggazzani and when I didn't use the foot brake, the wheels kept spinning for over a minute, due to the mass. To me, especially having young kids around at the time, it was a big issue.

The Grizzly has a motor brake, which stopped the blade within 3 seconds. That and the fact that the saw weighed in at 650+ lbs. The 19" saws can also be bought with a motor brake.

Bernie Kopfer
04-16-2020, 1:01 PM
Bernie, If you're talking about Auburn Tools, they're great. “

Yes that is who I’m considering for the Jet. And they do sell new but dinged equipment. And they have a good reputation.
Your comments about the motor brake make me lean in that direction. I’m not the patient kind and waiting “forever” for the motor to stop is annoying. My Laguna LT14 is bad enough.
since I enjoy woodworking as a hobby I would probably find either saw fulfilling my needs well.

Alex Zeller
04-16-2020, 1:43 PM
I personally like the foot brake but it doesn't look like Grizzly lists it their latest catalog. It's still on their website and while out of stock they say more are coming. The foot brake is connected to a switch. So if your hands are holding the wood you just tap on the foot brake to shut the saw off. It's in the front of the saw where you are most likely standing, not on the side of the saw. Secondly I like having a key switch. I take the tension off the blade when not in use and I remove the key. I have a magnet next to the lever for the tension so I can turn the saw on without fetching the key which reminds me to put the tension on the blade.

Earl McLain
04-16-2020, 6:43 PM
Bernie, If you're talking about Auburn Tools, they're great. I've purchased several tools from them. They get the stuff directly from the Jet/Powermatic warehouse and then tune them up.

As far as the bandsaw, I was in the same market about three weeks ago. I went to Bellingham and looked at the Grizzly in person. The resaw was only 12" on the 19" Grizzly, but I actually wanted the bigger motor and got a 21" 5hp shipped to me (which had 14.5" resaw). I don't resaw much, but the extra throat depth is sometimes more important. The biggest factor to me was the weight and the fact of a blade brake. I used to have a 20" Aggazzani and when I didn't use the foot brake, the wheels kept spinning for over a minute, due to the mass. To me, especially having young kids around at the time, it was a big issue.

The Grizzly has a motor brake, which stopped the blade within 3 seconds. That and the fact that the saw weighed in at 650+ lbs. The 19" saws can also be bought with a motor brake.

Momentary hijack--Seems like they used to sell on the auction site--but then disappeared. Did a search, and think i found their retail store, but if anyone knows if they ship to the midwest that would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
earl

Richard Coers
04-16-2020, 8:22 PM
I'd take the Griz. I own some "refurbished/2nds tools" and they've been fine, but I don't think I'd take my chances with something like a band saw. Grizzly usually has good customer service, so if the saw should have a problem, you'll be able to get a resolution. They've gone so far as to just send me a new tool and have me dispose of the defective one, no questions asked.
You disposed of a bandsaw? I sent my new one back after starting to rebuild it and found even more trouble.

Bernie Kopfer
04-17-2020, 12:02 PM
Momentary hijack--Seems like they used to sell on the auction site--but then disappeared. Did a search, and think i found their retail store, but if anyone knows if they ship to the midwest that would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
earl
Their phone number is253-804-3211. Go to Seattle Craig’s list under tools and you can see that they have some nice looking stuff, it varies by what they get in. I asked them to call me when they got a PM Mortimer and in a few months I got a call, went to the store and picked it up.. could not find a mark on it. Great price too.

Earl McLain
04-17-2020, 1:33 PM
Their phone number is253-804-3211. Go to Seattle Craig’s list under tools and you can see that they have some nice looking stuff, it varies by what they get in. I asked them to call me when they got a PM Mortimer and in a few months I got a call, went to the store and picked it up.. could not find a mark on it. Great price too.

Thanks--bookmarked!!
earl

Shiraz Balolia
04-17-2020, 4:17 PM
Presently I can get the Jet for 1650 and the Grizzly for 1710. The jet has 8” more Resaw height. Not that important to me. But the Grizzly has an electronic brake vs nothing on the Jet. Otherwise not much difference. The issues of quality and durability are the most important to me. And are the guides similar? Any opinions and experiences will be appreciated. Biases accepted also ��
I am assuming that you are talking about the Grizzly G0514X2B? If so, then a notable feature on that saw and several other larger Grizzly saws is the rack and pinion heavy duty table tilt mechanism that allows you to put large slabs of wood without messing up the tilt on the table.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-19-3-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Motor-Brake/G0514X2B#

Look at the picture of the back of the saw with that lockable tilt system that provides additional support.

Geoff Crimmins
04-17-2020, 4:50 PM
Thanks!!
earl

I've talked to them before about shipping. Their new machines ship for free, while you pay the actual shipping cost on the refurbished machines. So unless you can pick up the refurbished machine in person, it's usually more cost effective to buy the new machine.

lowell holmes
04-17-2020, 5:48 PM
I have no experience with Grizzly, but I have a 14" Jet with a 4" riser block on it. It is on a roller base. I can move the saw to a wall when I need the space. I am extremely happy with it.

Rod Wolfy
04-17-2020, 8:07 PM
I personally like the foot brake but it doesn't look like Grizzly lists it their latest catalog. It's still on their website and while out of stock they say more are coming. The foot brake is connected to a switch. So if your hands are holding the wood you just tap on the foot brake to shut the saw off. It's in the front of the saw where you are most likely standing, not on the side of the saw. Secondly I like having a key switch. I take the tension off the blade when not in use and I remove the key. I have a magnet next to the lever for the tension so I can turn the saw on without fetching the key which reminds me to put the tension on the blade.

Well, I keep posting on my cell and it gets deleted when I go to correct the spelling. :(

So, I unwrapped my Grizzly G0531B today and it was really nice! I started it up and the motor stopped within 3 seconds of pushing the off button. It has a motor brake. The resaw height is 14.5"; however, I think that if you could change out the blade guides to the same arrangement as the Jet, it would get 16". It wasn't really a factor in my decision, as my old Aggy had about 13" and I never used it, either. I find that the throat depth is a bigger factor.

About brakes. They're not all equal. Some of the Grizzlies have foot brakes. Some have motor brakes. When you hit the stop button, there is some kind of mechanical brake attached to the motor that stops the blade. At least, that's my take, as it says after a few years, you'll need to adjust the brake mechanism due to normal wear. A foot brake is typically on the right side of the saw, not in front. My Aggy had one. When you push down on the foot brake, it turns off the power to the motor. That doesn't mean that the wheels stop right away. All the wheel inertia with the cast iron will keep the blade moving. If you push down on the brake, like a car brake, it will slow down the wheels faster as you press harder (The Laguna BX18 has a foot brake and it has a caliper on a vented plate, similar to modern road bikes.When my hands were full, the foot brake was nice; however, sometimes it was awkward to balance with one foot on the floor and one on the brake until the blade stopped.

I went to the Grizzly showroom a few weeks ago. I had already paid for the 21" saw and went to see about how to get it into my truck. I observed that the saws appeared to be put together with some of the same parts. That is to say that the cabinet on the 21" was the same as the 19" and 24". There was a hole that was cut in the sheet metal for the foot brake on my 21", but it had a piece of plastic over it. There are three versions of the 19" saw. One with no brake, one with a foot brake and one with a motor brake. On the 24" there was actually a foot brake and a relay switch wired from the brake across the inside bottom and then through a hole to the vertical beam that the motor switch is on. I wanted a Grizzly with a foot brake and the motor brake; so that way I could tap the brake and the motor brake would stop the saw blade within 3 seconds. However, I don't think there are any saws in their lineup like that. After turning on my new saw for the first time today, I'm happy with my choice. I can still hit the off button with my elbow, if my hands are full and the blade does stop quickly. If I was going to get the 19" saw, I'd get the one with the motor brake vs. the foot brake (after using one).

I looked at the Jet 20" online again. I think that the main difference is the vertical beam on the Jet is kind of square going up and the Grizzly is a slight triangle shape. I think that there is a lot more weight in the Grizzly version. I saw that the metal appeared to be a heavy sheet metal that was folded over a few times for rigidity. The welds were very nice on my saw. It has a 5hp motor.

Alex Zeller
04-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Well, I keep posting on my cell and it gets deleted when I go to correct the spelling. :(

So, I unwrapped my Grizzly G0531B today and it was really nice! I started it up and the motor stopped within 3 seconds of pushing the off button. It has a motor brake. The resaw height is 14.5"; however, I think that if you could change out the blade guides to the same arrangement as the Jet, it would get 16". It wasn't really a factor in my decision, as my old Aggy had about 13" and I never used it, either. I find that the throat depth is a bigger factor.

About brakes. They're not all equal. Some of the Grizzlies have foot brakes. Some have motor brakes. When you hit the stop button, there is some kind of mechanical brake attached to the motor that stops the blade. At least, that's my take, as it says after a few years, you'll need to adjust the brake mechanism due to normal wear. A foot brake is typically on the right side of the saw, not in front. My Aggy had one. When you push down on the foot brake, it turns off the power to the motor. That doesn't mean that the wheels stop right away. All the wheel inertia with the cast iron will keep the blade moving. If you push down on the brake, like a car brake, it will slow down the wheels faster as you press harder (The Laguna BX18 has a foot brake and it has a caliper on a vented plate, similar to modern road bikes.When my hands were full, the foot brake was nice; however, sometimes it was awkward to balance with one foot on the floor and one on the brake until the blade stopped.

I went to the Grizzly showroom a few weeks ago. I had already paid for the 21" saw and went to see about how to get it into my truck. I observed that the saws appeared to be put together with some of the same parts. That is to say that the cabinet on the 21" was the same as the 19" and 24". There was a hole that was cut in the sheet metal for the foot brake on my 21", but it had a piece of plastic over it. There are three versions of the 19" saw. One with no brake, one with a foot brake and one with a motor brake. On the 24" there was actually a foot brake and a relay switch wired from the brake across the inside bottom and then through a hole to the vertical beam that the motor switch is on. I wanted a Grizzly with a foot brake and the motor brake; so that way I could tap the brake and the motor brake would stop the saw blade within 3 seconds. However, I don't think there are any saws in their lineup like that. After turning on my new saw for the first time today, I'm happy with my choice. I can still hit the off button with my elbow, if my hands are full and the blade does stop quickly. If I was going to get the 19" saw, I'd get the one with the motor brake vs. the foot brake (after using one).

I looked at the Jet 20" online again. I think that the main difference is the vertical beam on the Jet is kind of square going up and the Grizzly is a slight triangle shape. I think that there is a lot more weight in the Grizzly version. I saw that the metal appeared to be a heavy sheet metal that was folded over a few times for rigidity. The welds were very nice on my saw. It has a 5hp motor.

If all you want is a foot brake to shut off the saw you could add it. You would need a couple parts (like the actual part you put your foot on, the spring, some wire, and the switch). Since you have a motor brake you wouldn't need the parts for the actual braking function. The switch just shuts off the magnetic switch just like the power off button. When I oredered my 514X2 I wanted was the rack and pinion tilt and the heavy duty cast iron trunion. Now that I have it and have seen how it's set up I might have gone for the electronic braking and added a foot switch like I described.

Rod Wolfy
04-18-2020, 5:20 PM
Alex, is the relay switch right at the brake pedal? I could see buying the pedal, a spring & a switch and then wiring up. Like I said, I could see the wire on the 24” going across the bottom of the frame & thru a hole to go up the post. My saw has the hole, so I'd be just taking out the starter assembly and dropping the wire down to the hole...