PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW735 planer won't start

Dave Susco
04-14-2020, 2:23 PM
Well, won't start reliably.

I've taken out the breaker button and the switch that makes sure the top is on in order to start. All I have is the on/off switch between the power and the motor. I've tested continuity with a multimeter, the ground goes all the way to the engine, and the positive and neutral do as well with the switch in the "on" position.

It's turned on twice for me in the past two weeks as I've been tinkering with it, I shut it off after a few seconds and then tried again but both times it didn't turn back on.

I'm not great with electronics/motors so any ideas? I was thinking of replacing the on/off switch but continuity is good through it. Should I be testing for something else? Or looking into cleaning/replacing the brushes?

P.S. - Also saw the post on another forum where the guy just whacked it with a rubber mallet. I tried that too. It's turned on once since then. :P

Richard Coers
04-14-2020, 3:16 PM
That has a universal motor like a router, right? Check the brushes.

Bill Dufour
04-14-2020, 5:00 PM
With the saw plugged in check for voltage out of the switch. It may make contact poorly and look good for milliamps on a meter but not enough for a load.
Bil lD.

Dave Susco
04-14-2020, 5:24 PM
Just pulled out the brushes. They both have a clean polished area and then some striping areas where the carbon looks rougher. One also had a chip on the edge. I put them back in opposite to the way I took them out (putting the polished area where the stripes were, and vice versa) and got the planer to turn on and off three times in a row. So it's the brushes, I think.

I'll likely order new ones since they're only $18, unless cleaning them is just isopropyl and some q-tips.

Clark Hussey
04-14-2020, 5:28 PM
I’ve been having the same issue. Have taken it apart and checked voltage. Fiddled around with the connectors and finally got it running. I think the built in circuit breaker is going bad. Thank you for reminding me I need to order a replacement.